What's the ruling...

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

What's the ruling...

Postby Goob The Noob » Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:38 pm

During my round today, one of my shots landed at the edge of a very dense group of pine trees. These trees are in-bounds. One of the trees had fallen recently and the disc was resting on it's branches about 6 inches off the ground. When taking a stance behind the disc for the next shot, due to the density of the branches, I was also about 6 inches above the ground. Is it legal to throw from this elevated position? If not, what are the options for relief?
Goob The Noob
Noob

Postby distantdg » Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:24 pm

yes just mark the lie right below the elevated disc
distantdg
Noob

Postby Fritz » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:59 pm

I'd say yes, if it was possible to mark the lie on top of the log and support your weight. If it wasn't possible, I'd say no, and have you mark it under the tree and you'd' have to figure out how to slide your foot in the area and lean etc...
Very interesting question/scenario...

Glancing through the rule book:

803.04 (D) A player must choose the stance that will result in the least movement of any part of any obstacle that is a permanent or integral part of the course.

803.04 (E) If a large solid obstacle prevents a player from taking a legal stance within 30 cm directly behind the marker disc, the player shall take his or her stance immediately behind that obstacle on the line of play.

803.05 (C) Casual Obstacles: A player may obtain relief only from the follow obstacles: casual water, loose leaves, debris, Broken Branches no longer connected to the tree... blah blah

so looks to me like that qualifies as a casual obstacle that has relief to be granted...Basically 803/04 and .05 have a lot of different explanations that could help in deciding what to do in that situation...

Any officals out there wanna take a stab at it?
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Goob The Noob » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:12 am

I'm not sure if it would be considered a casual obstacle since the branches are still attached to the tree. The tree uprooted and fell over although some roots are still buried. Taking a stance immediately behind the tree would place me out of bounds. Granted it is a very unique situation but rather interesting.
Goob The Noob
Noob

Return to General Discussion