Nose Down Help

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Nose Down Help

Postby evilee13 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:11 am

After reading this site and many others, I think the next problem I need to fix in my drive is nose down. I've practiced a little bit, however I don't know what I need to do to get nose down. Anybody have any tips for how to achive this? I've played with bad technique for 5+ years, so it's very tough and time consuming to repair my technique.
evilee13
Noob

Postby AciDBatH666 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:41 pm

First thing you can do, is place your thumb more towards the rim of the disc, and away from the center. This worked for me for both backhand and sidearm shots.
I would just slide my thumb a little forward, and almost throw my disc 15 degrees downward from the horizon. When i started throwing them hard enough it would just pick up and fly level for a nice stable shot.

But thats me. Everyones technique varies from person to person.
But definately try the thumb more towards the rim... Scott Stokley has that in one of his videos i beleive.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby distantdg » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:03 pm

also what helped me achieve more nose down has been keeping my wrist down and parallel with my forearm
distantdg
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:33 pm

the thumb towards the rim is a myth and only really pertains when people have poor disc orientation in the hand and use the pad of the thumb to press the nose down. it is the skin above the seam of the hand that should push the nose down.

players like dean tannock and steve brinster have their thumbs nearly at the center of the disc but both throw a mile with the nose down.

if your grip is fine and you have the disc parallel with the forearm, nose down issues are generally caused by other factors in the throw.

two big ones that you really have to do to throw well and get the nose down:
1) get your weight forward
2) follow through.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby evilee13 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:52 pm

Thanks, I'll try those suggestions out in the field. But, I'm glad you brought up thumb position as well. Currently I throw with my thumb near the rim of the disc. But, I've been thinking of experimenting with moveing my thumb towards the center of the disc. Are there any advantages/disadvantages to thumb placement? I have problems with snap ( I don't think I've ever experienced snap) and it feels that moving my thumb towards the center of the disc may help me snap the disc.
evilee13
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:09 pm

if you use a "split power" grip, where you have a lot of distance between the index finger and the middle finger, you can get more snap with the thumb further towards the center.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Jwt4412 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:48 pm

15 degrees?

That much?

Blake,

If I am throwing a RHBH DX Valkyrie using the xstep... what will the disc do out of my hand if I throw it right.

Please describe the sounds, the look, the trajectory/fligh path - the wobble - the whatever...

The disc leaves my hand and then what?

From my Point of View when I looking down course...
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Postby AciDBatH666 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:12 pm

Jwt4412 wrote:15 degrees?

That much?

Like I said, thats just me. When i want a long straight drive, its almost like im gonna try to nail the disc towards the ground, and know that stance and form is going to force the disc to come out of my hand parallel to the ground, and slowly rise up for a nice line drive that doesnt go more than about 10 feet off the ground.

Ive put my thumb in the middle of the disc, but with my technique I just cant seem to get the power into the disc that way. Moving my thumb to around where the thicker inside part of the rim meets with the dome of the disc seems to help me keep my drives from going nose up.

But like I said, Thats my style. Try things out and see what works and what doesnt for you.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jwt4412 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:31 pm

I did a quick review of the grip article and found something glaringly wrong in my grip - I have been compensating in the wrong direction - tilting the disc down and in, instead of along the same line as my forearm...

But I would still like somebody to describe what it is like from the throwers perspective when they "nail" one...

Thanks.

Tom. I will correct the grip and start with a 15 degree angle and start tweeking from there.

Man, I love this site.
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Postby Weebl » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:52 am

It depends on how much snap you get on it and how fast it pops out. A DX Valkyrie, once used a bit and beaten in will (If released flat and nose down with a good snap) Will curve to the right almost immediatly and usually not come back. I have to throw my DX Valkyrie with ~30 degrees of hyzer (right side higher than the left for RHBH) and it will flatten within the first 30% of it's distance, go straight for another 15% of it's total distance, and then for the next 40% it will gently go right with the last 15% fading gently. regardless of power, if you throw it nose down and flat, it will go to the right for the beginning portion of it's flight no matter what.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby AciDBatH666 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:24 pm

Weebl wrote:It depends on how much snap you get on it and how fast it pops out. A DX Valkyrie, once used a bit and beaten in will (If released flat and nose down with a good snap) Will curve to the right almost immediatly and usually not come back. I have to throw my DX Valkyrie with ~30 degrees of hyzer (right side higher than the left for RHBH) and it will flatten within the first 30% of it's distance, go straight for another 15% of it's total distance, and then for the next 40% it will gently go right with the last 15% fading gently. regardless of power, if you throw it nose down and flat, it will go to the right for the beginning portion of it's flight no matter what.

Its virtually the same with me and my Valks. When i throw them I have to put a lot of angle on them too, Harder I throw the more I have to put. When i want to really launch my 150 class Flick, I honestly have to tilt it >50 degrees because of the light weight.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Nose down angle

Postby Toney » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:32 pm

To get the nose down, read the article on this site perptaining to grips. Generally, I have found that placing the pads of my fingers against the rim, which straightens out the first two digits of my fingers (instead of finger tips against the rim), followed by separating my index finger from my other fingers by a bit, with first thumb knuckle against the top (not too much thumb pressure), all serve to keep nose down. The reason these work is that it enables the disc to lie parrallel to the foream most easily. In particular, you want to keep the disc parralel to the top of the forearm. If you keep the index finger tight and close to the other fingers, this has the effect of bending the disc away from the top of the forearm, and your disc sails up. I'm not an expert thrower, but I did read the grip aritcle, and it has helped.
Toney
Noob

Return to Technique