Calling People Out On The Tee Box?

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Calling People Out On The Tee Box?

Postby DGjamey » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:20 am

I was playing a doubles match this morning, and we got through about 4 holes when i started to notice the other 2 guys were complain under their breathe about how my buddy was teeing off. their beef was his forward momentum was carrying him off the tee box after he drove. we tried to explain to them that as long as the disc has been released before he came off the box it was legal, and they argued that throughout the whole round. we were beating them by a lot and they became so mad that they quit after hole 15 saying we were cheating blah blah blah u know how it goes. but my question is, is that the correct rule or did i misunderstand it??
Wraith TeeBird Boss Buzzz Ryno
DGjamey
Noob

Favorite Disc: Star Wraith

Re: Calling People Out On The Tee Box?

Postby Dig It » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:25 am

As long as all contact points (everything of yours touching the tee) are in the tee box on the release (when the disc has left your hand) you're good. Those guys are what we refer to as "assholes".

http://www.pdga.com/rules/80302-teeing-off
Last edited by Dig It on Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Postby marmoset » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:27 am

You are right. You have to have your supporting member(s) on the ground and behind the toeline when you release. Everything else is up to your discretion. Notice the section I bolded.
PDGA Rulebook wrote:803.02
A. Play shall begin on each hole with the player throwing from within the teeing area. When the
disc is released, at least one of the player's supporting points must be in contact with the
surface of the teeing area, and all the player's supporting points must be within the teeing
area. If a tee pad is provided, all supporting points must be on the pad at the time of
release, unless the director has specified a modified teeing area for safety reasons. If no tee
pad is provided, all supporting points at the time of release must be within an area
encompassed by the front line of the teeing area and two lines perpendicular to and extending
back three meters from each end of the front line. The front line of the teeing area includes the outside edges of the two tee markers. Running up from behind the teeing area before the disc is released is permitted. Following through in front of the teeing area is permitted provided there is no supporting point contact outside the teeing area when the disc
is released.

B. Any supporting point contact outside the teeing area at the time of release constitutes a
stance violation and shall be handled in accordance with sections 803.04 F, G and H.

D'oh! Digit beat me to it!
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby DGjamey » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:37 am

thanks i thought so. those guys were just dumb, ive never seen them on the courses around me before and i hope i never do again :lol: :lol:
Wraith TeeBird Boss Buzzz Ryno
DGjamey
Noob

Favorite Disc: Star Wraith

Postby steezo » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:41 am

this is a great example why you should have a rule book in your bag. If you do see them again, be cool. 8)
The more I throw, the easier it gets-
steezo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beef Curtain

Postby ferretdance03 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:31 pm

steezo wrote:this is a great example why you should have a rule book in your bag. If you do see them again, be cool. 8)

That's why I always carry 2-3 rule books. I can give them one, and tell them to read up.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby inthedrift » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:56 pm

I recently played a round with my good friend and his wife's coworker (who is new in town). My friend and I quickly noticed that this guy would step past his lie on every shot; it was almost as if he considered his lie to be his starting point and then he could take a step beyond that and throw. We didn't call him on it (probably because it was a fun, recreational round and we were both destroying his score anyway) but after several missed long birdie putts on my part it began to get a little frustrating watching him take a full step past his lie on every putt. Still didn't say anything though. My buddy and I laughed about it later. He expressed interest in playing some of the local leagues this year - can't wait to see him try that sh#@ at league. :lol:
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby MIdiscgolfer » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:17 pm

inthedrift wrote:I recently played a round with my good friend and his wife's coworker (who is new in town). My friend and I quickly noticed that this guy would step past his lie on every shot; it was almost as if he considered his lie to be his starting point and then he could take a step beyond that and throw. We didn't call him on it (probably because it was a fun, recreational round and we were both destroying his score anyway) but after several missed long birdie putts on my part it began to get a little frustrating watching him take a full step past his lie on every putt. Still didn't say anything though. My buddy and I laughed about it later. He expressed interest in playing some of the local leagues this year - can't wait to see him try that sh#@ at league. :lol:

I've seen a lot of old schoolers play that way. You have to remember that 20 years ago people that went out to play disc golf quite often didn't know anyone else that played. The only rules they knew were count how many throws it takes to hit the target and everything else was made up.
"Wise men don't need advice and fools never take it." ....................... Mark Twain
MIdiscgolfer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wasp/Buzzz/Comet

Postby black udder » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:30 pm

I played with someone recently at a monthly (our ice bowl actually) and one of the guys in the group had a horrible lie in these briars. Well, our 3rd guy says, "hey, can you break anything off to get a better shot?"

Needless to say, we informed him that, no, you cannot smash, break or bend anything to get a better shot. We also informed him of all his other infractions. He was pretty cool about it - hadn't really played competitively before - and we weren't stroking him, just informing him of the rules.

I find myself informing people of the rules fairly often because if I don't know a rule, I would want somebody to tell me.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby maks » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:26 pm

MIdiscgolfer wrote:
inthedrift wrote:I recently played a round with my good friend and his wife's coworker (who is new in town). My friend and I quickly noticed that this guy would step past his lie on every shot; it was almost as if he considered his lie to be his starting point and then he could take a step beyond that and throw. We didn't call him on it (probably because it was a fun, recreational round and we were both destroying his score anyway) but after several missed long birdie putts on my part it began to get a little frustrating watching him take a full step past his lie on every putt. Still didn't say anything though. My buddy and I laughed about it later. He expressed interest in playing some of the local leagues this year - can't wait to see him try that sh#@ at league. :lol:

I've seen a lot of old schoolers play that way. You have to remember that 20 years ago people that went out to play disc golf quite often didn't know anyone else that played. The only rules they knew were count how many throws it takes to hit the target and everything else was made up.

yeah when i first started playing we just made sure that the marker was within are body range when we threw. but after taking the game up more i looked up disc golf on wiki and it led me to the rulebook
maks
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Super-Roc

Postby Working Stiff » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:12 pm

There is a lot of stuff I do in casual rounds that I know are against the rules but I don't consider a big deal. I flip discs over to mark my lie. I throw discs back toward my bag. I don't mark my lie when my putter is near the basket. I don't do theses things to gain a competitive advantage, I do them to speed up play. Sometimes guys I don't know get bent when we are playing for tags or for money, so then I follow the PDGA rules. If they don't say anything, I figure they don't care and just keep doing them.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby Fritz » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:43 am

ferretdance03 wrote:
steezo wrote:this is a great example why you should have a rule book in your bag. If you do see them again, be cool. 8)

That's why I always carry 2-3 rule books. I can give them one, and tell them to read up.

Same here. I'm down to one now unfortunately.
But it's always good to carry rule books to hand out when people get all huffy like this.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby rehder » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:33 am

I flip discs over to mark my lie

I used to do this as well, nowadays in tourneys I use a mini, but if Im playing a rec round I just use my disc, but I dont flip it. First of all, it is against the rules, I dont want newer players to see this and get in the habit of doing it, and second of all it doesnt get me in a habit of doing something that could be called out by other people in competetive play. And thirdly its faster to not have to flip it. "Throw disc, arrive at lie, throw next disc, pickup disc and proceed" :wink:

So for all the people who dont dig minis, that is totally cool. But do yourself a favor and dont flip the disc, just play behind its normal lie. This way you wont ever get in trouble and you dont develop a habit you have to get rid of later.
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby TDS » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:13 am

Working Stiff wrote:There is a lot of stuff I do in casual rounds that I know are against the rules but I don't consider a big deal. I flip discs over to mark my lie. I throw discs back toward my bag. I don't mark my lie when my putter is near the basket. I don't do theses things to gain a competitive advantage, I do them to speed up play. Sometimes guys I don't know get bent when we are playing for tags or for money, so then I follow the PDGA rules. If they don't say anything, I figure they don't care and just keep doing them.

x2. Most of the time I am pressed for time and play casual.
TDS
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby Midnightbiker » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:27 am

I didn't relieze that I was doing that , and I had another player warn me about that during a tournament last year. At least he was nice enough to warn me and not call me out on it.
Listen to The Love Doctors on Real Radio 10am-3pm Eastern
Click here
http://www.wzzr.com/pages/the_lovedocs.html
Midnightbiker
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Next

Return to Rules Discussion