Rabbit Damage

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Rabbit Damage

Postby MIdiscgolfer » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:11 pm

If a pet rabbit chewed on the edge of your discs a little bit would that be considered an altered disc and illegal for play? The damage is very minor and no holes in the flight plate.
"Wise men don't need advice and fools never take it." ....................... Mark Twain
MIdiscgolfer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wasp/Buzzz/Comet

Re: Rabbit Damage

Postby marmoset » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:23 pm

I don't know; good question. I have a friend who "lost" his Pro Roc for a few nights and it had been "chewed" very evenly around the rim by a "rodent" of some kind while it "sat in the woods." I don't know if I should believe him or not. It is a super-duper flippy Roc now; he uses it for turnovers and hyzer-flips.

PDGA rulebook wrote:802.01.C. Players may not make post-production modification of discs which alter their original flight characteristics. This rule does not forbid inevitable wear and tear from usage during play or the moderate sanding of discs to smooth molding imperfections or scrape marks. Discs excessively sanded or painted with a material of detectable thickness are illegal. See sections 802.01 D, E and F.

If the rodent did it, the thrower didn't do it. I don't think I could call him on it unless I know he did the modification. What happens if he baited the mouse with peanut butter on the disc rim.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby Dogma » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:55 pm

marmoset wrote:
PDGA rulebook wrote:802.01.C. Players may not make post-production modification of discs which alter their original flight characteristics. This rule does not forbid inevitable wear and tear from usage during play or the moderate sanding of discs to smooth molding imperfections or scrape marks. Discs excessively sanded or painted with a material of detectable thickness are illegal. See sections 802.01 D, E and F.

I don't think I could call him on it unless I know he did the modification.

It's a grey area. By the same reasoning I could just have my wife modify all my discs for me since she isn't the one playing. I think the second sentence is what clarifies it. If the assumption is that the only thing that isn't forbidden is "wear and tear from usage during play," then every thing else is illegal. By that standard I say the rabbit-chewed disc is only legal if it was chewed during a round. :D
Dogma
2009 DGR Donator

Postby black udder » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:08 pm

I'd say it's legal as long as the flight plate wasn't penetrated. The modifications were not made by the player or made with the intention of modifying the disc. It's the same as hitting objects on the course.

Where's Chuck? He'll know :)
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby MIdiscgolfer » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:30 pm

It's basically an academic point because the discs in question belong to a friend of mine that's not really into tournaments anyway and they are discs he doesn't use which is why the rabbit had access to them :D . I'm inclined to agree with Dogma tho just because allowing discs that were "modified" by a non player ie pets/spouse/child opens up a lot of loopholes for potential cheating. And if you can't keep your Tournament discs out of a tame rabbits mouth you deserve what you get :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Wise men don't need advice and fools never take it." ....................... Mark Twain
MIdiscgolfer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wasp/Buzzz/Comet

Postby sweeper » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:34 am

I had a friend who would let his 2 year old play with discs in the driveway to help get them under stable. He'd scuff them up but good!
* Pulse * Katana * Eagle X*Roc * Meteor * Aviar * Rattler *
sweeper
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby Fritz » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:48 pm

Legal. As long as the rabbit didn't perforate the disc, you are good to go.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:54 pm

I'd be hard pressed to call someone on this as long as the flight plate wasn't perfed when you consider that it's a common practice to "condition" DX plastic by multiple rips into a wall. Until DGA started putting the protection band around the number plate, they were notorious for taking chunks out of your putter which was usually still useable.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Rules Discussion