Anyone just dye an entire discs to change the color?

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Anyone just dye an entire discs to change the color?

Postby phantem » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:59 am

Has anyone tried leather dye in a liquid form? If so, does it work and if so does it last? I saw some at a store when I was picking up Rit the other day. I may have to try it out.
phantem
Noob

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby adidadg » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:48 am

cmlasley wrote:Aside from the discussion on dyeing KC and DX, I've dyed a few white Star, Champ, and Pro discs orange just because I like orange better / to make them easier to find in the snow.

Total dyeing newbie here...

Im wanting to do this since I have a couple of nice white drivers that i am tired of seeing sitting on my shelf. Is there a "best" way to go about dyeing an entire disc top and bottom? Leaving it totally submerged in the dye doesnt seem like a very good idea since the disc will be sitting on the HOT bottom of the pot for 5-10 minutes. Dyeing the top and bottom seperately also seems problematic since the bottom will create a massive air bubble under it.

Also, does dyeing the disc in the hot water affect the shape or dome of the disc? Will the dye affect the feel/tackyness of the disc at all?

The video and written tutorials are great, im hoping to try some artistic dyes once I can get my hands on some vinyl, but for now I just want to get these white drivers coloured and in action.

Also the instructions in the RIT package says to use 2 cups water for 1 pkg Rit. But i think this is for dying shirts and stuff, do you use the same proportions for discs?

thanks
adidadg

Postby cmlasley » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:16 pm

I used a casserole pan for dyeing. Heat the rit and water in a pot until the better part of the rit dissolves, poor it into the casserole dish, leaving the dregs with the undissolved rit, then just drop the disc in the pan. If you don't want to mess with heating, just throw the disc in a big ziplock bag full of dye. Let it soak overnight if you aren't going to use heat. The heat method is much faster and more even, in my experience.

Doing this did not change the dome or flight characteristics for me.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby adidadg » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:28 pm

cmlasley wrote:I used a casserole pan for dyeing. Heat the rit and water in a pot until the better part of the rit dissolves, poor it into the casserole dish, leaving the dregs with the undissolved rit, then just drop the disc in the pan. If you don't want to mess with heating, just throw the disc in a big ziplock bag full of dye. Let it soak overnight if you aren't going to use heat. The heat method is much faster and more even, in my experience.

Doing this did not change the dome or flight characteristics for me.

cool, i will try this tonight. How much Rit is necessary? thanks for the help
adidadg

Postby cmlasley » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:23 pm

I just use the whole box, and poor it in a milk jug after it has cooled. You can use the Rit about 1000 times this way. Eventually, it starts to get grainy and you may have to add water and reheat it to dissolve the crystals again. I also have strained mine in the past to get out the crystals.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Hoey » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:57 am

great idea with the milk jug.
Throw discs, and forget about life for awhile...
Hoey
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: fuse

Postby cmlasley » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:24 pm

bogies is dave wrote:great idea with the milk jug.

Just don't mix it up with your jug of Kool-Aid. Rit really stains teeth. :mrgreen:
Morgan Lasley
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Hoey » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:11 pm

that would be a tragic april fools joke...
:twisted:
Throw discs, and forget about life for awhile...
Hoey
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: fuse

Postby DJayhawk » Sat May 22, 2010 10:50 pm

Has anyone had any success with reversing this process? I got a Z Buzz from a friend who experimented with dying and he colored the entire thing black or dark purplish. It was in his giveaway bucket and I brought it home. If nothing else I'd like to at least be able to lighten the darkness some.
DJayhawk
Noob

Postby Booter » Sat May 22, 2010 10:53 pm

no way of reversing it. they dye is in there for good buddy. however there is a rit dye removal package they sell, ive used it once and it lightened up a little bit but nothing drastic. made it stink too. if the dye is semi fresh you might have some luck but if its been a while since its been dyed,i doubt youll see a change.

http://www.ritdye.com/Fabric+Treatments ... 7.49.lasso
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Previous

Return to Disc Artwork