Wisconsin

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Wisconsin

Postby pointdisc » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:51 am

Planning stages for a NEW course near Green Lake in Zobel Park are under way! They have applied for a grant and it appears that the holes have been layed out, but beyond this I don't know. See the link for the most info!

http://www.co.green-lake.wi.us/uploads/meetings/09June08Minutes.pdf

Also, click below to comment or donate towards the cause!

http://dartford.blogspot.com/2009/02/green-lake-disc-golf-zobel-park.html

NEW INFO!!! "the course will be a championship course with 18 holes there will be 3 pin locations for each hole and 2 tee pads for most holes."

Now, we just need to get the Waupun "course" moved to Waupun County Park and make it a real course!

pd
Rhyno - Element X - Eagle - Firebird - SOLF - QOLS
CLICK HEREto sign up for instant DGR karma!!!
pointdisc
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Eagle-X

Postby BIG MACK » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:54 pm

I can't wait to get over to Sandy Point, in Lac Du Flambeau this summer. I've heard the course is awesome!
Putting is overrated.
BIG MACK
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby Roy » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:18 am

BIG MACK wrote:I can't wait to get over to Sandy Point, in Lac Du Flambeau this summer. I've heard the course is awesome!

It's best to go in spring or fall as they have a beach that people use and they close a couple of the holes.
Roy
Colonel Cleavage

Postby pointdisc » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:54 pm

Update on Zobel Park:

The design is on paper, but no holes are cut in yet. The budget is quite small & they're going to rely on volunteer help to get most of the work done. If you are at all interested in helping, shoot me a PM and I'll get back to you on work dates and what not. There is going to be a walk-through the weekend of the 21/22 (not sure which date yet).

pd
Rhyno - Element X - Eagle - Firebird - SOLF - QOLS
CLICK HEREto sign up for instant DGR karma!!!
pointdisc
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Eagle-X

Postby wdb4th » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:35 pm

I played Elver Park in Madison today and have a few questions. What is a good score there from the long tees? Why did it seem like everyone I saw was shooting from the short tees?
Throw Quest AT!

Bullard Disc Golf Design
wdb4th
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beat Proto Magic

Postby rusch_bag » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:40 am

I have only played elver once and noticed the same things. I shot even from the longs and felt like I should have been a few better.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby wdb4th » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:49 pm

FINALLY!
Funding has been approved for the front 9 at Duck Pond in Fontana, WI. Keep watching the board for the grand opening date as the more people that come the more likely we are to get the back 9 soon after.

The front 9 is technical with lots of s curving and tight fairways.
The back 9 will be about a mile of throwing. But with elevation changes, OB, and trees throughout.

Anyone that wants to walk the layout is more than welcome to hit me up to meet.
Throw Quest AT!

Bullard Disc Golf Design
wdb4th
Fairway Surgeon

Postby ziggy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:00 pm

wdb4th wrote:I played Elver Park in Madison today and have a few questions. What is a good score there from the long tees? Why did it seem like everyone I saw was shooting from the short tees?

Elver is where the recreational casual golfers like to hit up. They are the ones usually trying to carry suspicious beverages and pause in between holes to unpack. They are in there for the ace runs and ooh did you see that 200 feet shot. Most of them will never bypass AM2-3 level. You rarely see solid players at elver.

Long Tees scores vary. I can see 1000 rated as a 45 or lower. I'm a scratch 940 rated golfer with two discs. last time i hit elver, i shot a fitty from the longs.
ziggy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby ziggy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:00 pm

wdb4th wrote:FINALLY!
Funding has been approved for the front 9 at Duck Pond in Fontana, WI. Keep watching the board for the grand opening date as the more people that come the more likely we are to get the back 9 soon after.

The back 9 will be about a mile of throwing. But with elevation changes, OB, and trees throughout.

Wahoo!! I definitely will be interested in hitting it up when the weather turns on a positive note.
ziggy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Dag » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:09 pm

Grats. I drive right past there when I head up to visit with my father> Guess I'll have to start leaving a bit earlier.

Is the layout shown on Village of Fontana's website the old or the new?
...there was a time when you were taught to find the best disc for you, not the best disc for your situation on the course, which is how they are sold now. IMO, the flight charts are basically there to point out all the stuff you dont have in your bag and why you suck.

Chase Roberts
Dag
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Discworld

Postby Redisculous » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:14 pm

I've been curious about the Fontana course as well, I think it's only like a 30 minute drive from my house. Right now my best option is Anna Page, Lustig doesn't open for at least another month, anything else worth playing is only worth it for an all day trip.
Anode | Comet | Axis |Vector | PPD | SPD | CPD
Redisculous
Fairway Surgeon

Location: Southern Wisconsin, where the best courses are in Illinois!
Favorite Disc: Axis

Postby wdb4th » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:54 pm

Dag wrote:

Grats. I drive right past there when I head up to visit with my father> Guess I'll have to start leaving a bit earlier.

Is the layout shown on Village of Fontana's website the old or the new?

It is fairly current. There will be a few changes when the baskets go in.

The Abbey is also planning on getting new baskets this year. And if we get enough traffic at duck pond they will expand to 18. The back nine will be over a mile of throwing.
Throw Quest AT!

Bullard Disc Golf Design
wdb4th
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Dag » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:03 pm

wdb4th wrote:The back nine will be over a mile of throwing.

It will be interesting to see what you have planned for that distance (587'+ /hole avg). Make some true par 4s and 5s with a strategic/shot placement element dictating the elevated par rather than brute distance and you could have something special. Take a look at the Black 9, part of this year's Scandinavian Open course, for an example of what I'd put on my wishlist.
...there was a time when you were taught to find the best disc for you, not the best disc for your situation on the course, which is how they are sold now. IMO, the flight charts are basically there to point out all the stuff you dont have in your bag and why you suck.

Chase Roberts
Dag
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Discworld

Postby wdb4th » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:54 am

Installing temp pins for the back 9 at duck pond right now. Should be up by noon. Pm me if you want to play. I will be out here until about 6.
Throw Quest AT!

Bullard Disc Golf Design
wdb4th
Fairway Surgeon

Postby ziggy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:17 pm

wdb4th wrote:Installing temp pins for the back 9 at duck pond right now. Should be up by noon. Pm me if you want to play. I will be out here until about 6.

dang, and i just now see this. Bah. Hope it was fun! Next time.
ziggy
Fairway Surgeon

PreviousNext

Return to Courses