Special Conditions

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Special Conditions

Postby Bruce » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:04 am

In the PDGA Rules, there is scope for the TD to set 'special conditions'

How wide ranging are these allowed to be? I'm aware that they cannot do anything that contradicts the existing rules, but is that the only caveat?

For example, last weekend, the TD declared that there was to be no smoking during the rounds.
In a few weeks, it's rumoured that another TD will declare no urination on the course!

Are these allowable decisions for the TD, assuming there is no local law prohibiting either?
Bruce
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Dx Roc

Re: Special Conditions

Postby curt » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:56 am

In a few weeks, it's rumoured that another TD will declare no urination on the course

from a technical standpoint, I believe that this is always actually illegal. (especially if the course is within city limits.
curt
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby Bruce » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:15 am

curt wrote:
In a few weeks, it's rumoured that another TD will declare no urination on the course

from a technical standpoint, I believe that this is always actually illegal. (especially if the course is within city limits.

I did have a look for laws on this (carefully, I'm at work!) and didn't get any clear answers. The closest I got was a particular US state's law that said you had to be doing it in a place that could cause offence, and a discrete one behind a tree hardly seems to qualify.

(5) A person is guilty of public urination if the person urinates or defecates:

(a) in a public place, other than a public rest room; and

(b) under circumstances which the person should know will likely cause affront or alarm to another.
Bruce
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Dx Roc

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:38 am

The TD could invoke a rule to prohibit smoking if the course was on private property or in the case of a general smoking ban due to dry fire conditions. This has happened a few times at events in Flagstaff where a dry spell produced tinderbox fire potential.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby mark12b » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:56 pm

yeah, last year at four mound (lilac city open) there was a ban on smoking everywhere except the benches next to the teepads, due to four mound being a private course *and* having a fire danger. but in general i wouldn't think a TD could completely ban smoking any more than they could require it.
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Rules Discussion