Ferretdance03s bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Ferretdance03s bag

Postby black udder » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:12 am

the amount of discs (drivers especially) that you put in and take out just validates my theory that we love to throw plastic and that, within reason, it's the skill of the thrower, not the plastic that determines what they do. Thus, you can move things around without throwing your scoring in the toilet :)

Interesting to see that you've finally added a fast driver for distance. Previously, they were all the slower variety.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby ferretdance03 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:56 am

You're right, no matter what the makeup of my bag I still shoot relatively the same after the first few adjustment rounds.

I'm still debating the necessity of a fast distance driver, ie Destroyer type disc. I really don't gain that much more distance from it, 45ft. maybe 65 on a really good tug. It just takes a different line and gets there faster. I was throwing the Tsunami just as far as the Destroyer on Sunday/Monday, it just needed a little more height and a little less hyzer. The Destroyer is a line drive machine.

You're definitely right though, I do love to throw plastic!
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby dgdave » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:56 am

I'm in the exact same bag. I can go out with TBs, Rocs, and and stable putter and shoot the same as I do with 16 discs in 14 different molds. I am also debating the big D discs. There are only a few times I say to myself "I wish I had a few more feet of D" usually on long uphill holes.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby black udder » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:57 am

The only debate is "do I want to carry it or not?" Usage is such a relative issue. If you don't mind carrying it around, then leave it in. As for the extra 45-65' of D - that could be the difference between a 20' putt and a 60' putt. To me, that's a birdie opportunity. It would be worth it to me (if I could throw it with some confidence and consistency) to continue to throw it.

Plus, for me it's easier to throw a hyzer flip up hill with a flippy or understable disc, than it is to throw an overstable disc anhyzer.

I know both of you guys are getting the discs out there and can't believe (because it shatters the buy new plastic rule) that there isn't much of a difference in the old 'fairway' type drivers and the new uber drivers.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby dgdave » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:14 am

I see about a 30-50 ft difference between each group of discs, on average. Distance about 30 or so longer than fairway, fairway about 30 longer than Mids, and mids about 30 longer than putters
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby garublador » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:37 am

black udder wrote:The only debate is "do I want to carry it or not?" Usage is such a relative issue. If you don't mind carrying it around, then leave it in. As for the extra 45-65' of D - that could be the difference between a 20' putt and a 60' putt. To me, that's a birdie opportunity. It would be worth it to me (if I could throw it with some confidence and consistency) to continue to throw it.
The thing is that's a pretty specific length. The hole has to be just outside your fairway driver distance, but still inside you distance driver distance and ending up more than 10'-20' off target can't cost you any strokes. It's just not something that comes up often enough for distance drivers to deserve to get as much attention as they do, IMO.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby ferretdance03 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:24 pm

That's the, (on my home course) don't throw the Destroyer (or similar discs) more than maybe twice a round. We have quite a few long holes, just that accuracy is more important for the birdie op than is the extra distance.

Like Udder said though, I have the room since the rest of my bag is so simple, so for now it's in.

I'm in the same boat as you too Dave, about 30ft difference, and my bag changes too much for a slick color coded bag signature. :lol:
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Postby ferretdance03 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:07 am

I don't even want to hear it from you, Udder. :lol:

Red are the only new molds I've introduced since December (that have stayed). Predators and Rocs still get the most play, I've just been cycling them like a good disc golfer should.

Power Driver is fast becoming a favorite disc. Very controllable for its speed. Not so stable that it can't be flattened from a hyzer, but stable enough to trust in a headwind. Great for skips, good for low flex shots, long line drives. I'm not a great flick thrower but it works well for me for flicks as well.
PD basically replaced the Destroyer, Illusion and a few Teebird lines for me.

Z Xtreme is a pig, everybody knows that. It's really only in for trick shots and crazy spike hyzers. So far so good, but I could easily do without it.

Magic replaces the Rattler. I love S plastic, so I tried an S Magic, but unfortunately got a SS. Too soft for me. The E is the right firmness, is surprisingly grippy in wet conditions, and I imagine will stay at the same stability for a while. Time will tell.

Also, no long understable disc. I can get a Leopard out to 375, but it definitely needs more height than something like a RR. The CE Leo is still pretty stable but the Star will flip to the ground if I yank it. I don't really seem to be missing this spot for the time being.

1. Stable Control Drivers
X Predator 173 beat
CE Leopard 170 seasoned

2. Distance Driver
175 S Power Driver newish

3. Understable Drivers
ECOStar Leopard 170 seasoned

4. Mod Overstable Driver
X Predator 173 newish

5. Very Overstable Driver
Z Predator 174 beat
Z Xtreme 174

Mids
DX Roc freshy
10x Roc seasoned
11x Roc beat
DX Roc thrashed

Putters
172 M Wizards x2 for chain duties
175 Glow Wizard for driving
170 E Magic for approaches

ferretdance03 wrote:On December 29th:
I have recently been able to re up my stash of X Preds, so the bag has changed back to form of days of old.
173 X Predator, beat
172 Super grip Tsunami, new [test flight stages]
2. Distance Driver
172 Pro Destroyer, seasoned
3. Understable Driver
170 Champ Leopard, Seasoned x2
4. Moderately Overstable Driver
173 X Predator, newish
172 Z Flick, seasoned [trick shots galore]
Mids
DX Rocs x3
Putters
Wizards x2, putting/driving
1080, jump putts
Rattler, trick shots, nothing but right turns, catch

I've just recently put Leopards back in the bag, and I'm enjoying them again. Good for just about any line, and can really get out there on a hyzer flip line.
The Rattler comes and goes as the mood hits me. I love to throw it, but just don't seem to use it all that often. It's in for the time being.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Postby uNicedmeMan » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:53 am

ferretdance03 wrote:Magic replaces the Rattler. I love S plastic, so I tried an S Magic, but unfortunately got a SS. Too soft for me. The E is the right firmness, is surprisingly grippy in wet conditions, and I imagine will stay at the same stability for a while. Time will tell.

Is this the clear E??? I'm really interested in trying some of that stuff.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby ferretdance03 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:04 pm

No, just standard E. I haven't tried any of the new clear junks either.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Postby ferretdance03 » Mon May 18, 2009 1:05 pm

A few minor tweaks. Still the core bag remains Predators, Rocs and Wizards. The PD is slowly taking over the Pred duties though...

X Predator 173 beat
Star leopard 175 newish

2. Distance Driver
175 S Power Driver seasoned
175 Champ Wraith [testing it out. Never threw a Wraith much, and I won 3 in a recent tourney]

3. Understable Drivers
Champ Leopard 170 seasoned
D XL 175 thrashed [lost a DX Leo that was in this spot]

4. Mod Overstable Driver
175 Pro Power Driver newish

Z Predator 174 beat

Mids
DX Roc freshy
11x Roc beat
DX Roc thrashed

Putters
172 M Wizard for putting
170 S Wizard beat for straight driving
175 Glow Wizard for hyzer driving
175 SS Magic for approaches
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Postby ferretdance03 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:31 pm

Some changes recently. I never really threw Cyclones too much until recently. My Leopards were starting to turn too much and I felt like I was losing some range control with them. Cyclones take their spot, are much more workable and I have great range control with them. The Whippet and S PD have pretty much made the Predator unnecessary in my bag right now. I played my first Predator free round today, and I didn't really feel like I missed it. The Z Xtreme was in that slot, but it wasn't as useful to me. Wizards and Rocs aren't changing anytime soon.

X Cyclone 175, newish
D Cyclone 176, seasoned

2. Distance Driver
175 S Power Driver seasoned
175 Champ Wraith [testing it out. Never threw a Wraith much, and I won 3 in a recent tourney]

3. Understable Drivers
D XL 175 thrashed [waiting for the D Cyclone to beat in to this stage]

4. Mod Overstable Driver
175 Pro Power Driver newish

Champ Whippet

Mids
11x Roc Seasoned
11x Roc beat
DX Roc thrashed

Putters
172 M Wizard for putting
170 S Wizard beat for straight driving
175 SS Magic for approaches
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Postby uNicedmeMan » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:27 am

Looking goooood! I'm curious about the PDs, they sound cool.

Your thoughts on the whippet vs xtreme? Xtreme more overstable? Unecessarily so?

Leopards gone? I hear what your saying on the limited range control, I will throw a teebird in situations where I need a fade to limit the range. What are you going to do with all your tasty leopards now? :D :D

Are you thinking about trying out an ESP cyclone?
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby dgdave » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:37 am

I'll chime in on the whippet/Xtreme Q.

I found the Z Xtreme to be more overstable than a champ whippet with just a twinge of glide when new. The star whippets are less overstable than both by a good bit. I found the star whippets to be close to the CE Blazes. The main reason I went Xtremes over whippets is the grip is more comfy for me.
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby ferretdance03 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:33 am

uNicedmeMan wrote:Looking goooood! I'm curious about the PDs, they sound cool.

Very nice disc. So much like a faster/longer Teebird, but still with the same controllability.

uNicedmeMan wrote:Your thoughts on the whippet vs xtreme? Xtreme more overstable? Unecessarily so?
Well that's the reason for the switch. Xtreme is really a bit too overstable to the point of only being used for thumbers and short spikes. I can use the Whippet for more situations and I have a bit more range with it.

uNicedmeMan wrote:Leopards gone? I hear what your saying on the limited range control, I will throw a teebird in situations where I need a fade to limit the range. What are you going to do with all your tasty leopards now? :D :D
Well that's the reason for the Cyclones. I use the Cyclone where you probably use the TB, and the PD if it's a longer shot. And it depends on what you have. :wink:

uNicedmeMan wrote:Are you thinking about trying out an ESP cyclone?
Most definitely. It'll probably replace the X Cyclone, mainly for grip reasons.

dgdave wrote:The main reason I went Xtremes over whippets is the grip is more comfy for me.
And see, I went the other way for the same reason.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion