Want to play in Nashville 3/21 and 3/25 - looking for guides

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Want to play in Nashville 3/21 and 3/25 - looking for guides

Postby tim » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:56 pm

I have a business trip down to Nashville for a conference that lasts 3/22 to noon on 3/25, so I'm getting on a 5:25 a.m. flight on Saturday to get there in time to play Saturday.

I would prefer not to have to rent a car if I can help it. I am hoping for a local who wants to play a full day of disc golf on Saturday, 3/22. My flight arrives at BNA at 8:05 a.m., and I'm free all day. Any takers?

I will be happy to cover gas money, lunch, and bring a favorite disc or two as thanks for anyone willing to help show me around. Just let me know what you throw.

Also, on Wednesday, 3/25, my meetings end at noon, but I scheduled the latest flight possible -- 7 p.m. out of BNA -- so I've got all afternoon to throw. I'm hoping to find a local who wants to play a couple of rounds at Seven Oaks Park that afternoon, since it is right next to the airport. I can cab out to the course from the hotel and meet someone (I'll have bags with me) if they can give me a ride to the airport ~5 p.m. after a couple of rounds. Or if someone doesn't mind coming into the city, I'll be at the Renaissance Hotel in downtown -- about 6.5 miles from the course.

Same thing goes -- I'll be happy to cover gas money, lunch (Chick-Fil-A:)), and bring a disc or two as thanks. Just let me know your favorites.

I appreciate the help to all the locals. Course suggestions are also welcomed, though I imagine whatever locals are willing to help out will have their own ideas on what is best to play and what time frame we can hit everything.

For Saturday, I'm totally game to play 'til dark. A 100+ holes in a day is fine with me.

If you think you can help, please PM and I'll send you my e-mail and cell phone and we can work out details.

I have never played disc golf in Nashville, and I'm very excited to get down there -- I've heard GREAT things about some of the courses. For what it's worth, I play Pro (~970 golf), but am always happy to play with anyone who is out there to have fun. Skill isn't nearly as important as attitude to whether or not I enjoy playing golf with someone.

I don't know if it's possible, but if someone wants a marathon day, I would LOVE to play a Saturday loop that hits Cedar Hill, Sharp Springs, Sanders Ferry and Crockett Park. Then I can hit Seven Oaks on Wednesday and have played all the courses I've heard rumors about in Nashville.

Anyway -- locals, please let me know if you can help out. Thank you all so much.
-tim
Flick long and prosper.
VP/Wizard | Roc/Buzz | Firebird | Teebird | Destroyer
Vibram Putter tester -- feel free to ask me any questions.
tim
2009 DGR Donator

Re: Want to play in Nashville 3/21 and 3/25 - looking for guides

Postby tim » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:09 am

Any Nashville folks on here with thoughts? Thanks.
Flick long and prosper.
tim
2009 DGR Donator

Postby tim » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:08 am

Final bump. I fly out in 18 hours -- trying to line up local guides for Sat/Wed before I head out of town.
Thanks.
Flick long and prosper.
tim
2009 DGR Donator

Postby jist313 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:08 pm

so how did the trip go? A few years ago I played a couple of the courses in Nashville, Two Rivers and Seven Oaks. Two Rivers was quite disapointing because the front nine holes were missing their pins and the back nine mostly played across a big valley. There was plenty of elevation to be had but throwing from one hill top to the other hill top is such a poor use of elevation because it offers only a slight challenge to the weaker arms and virtually no challenge to the big arms. I would love to redesign the layout and use the elevation to its fullest. Currently, the only thing to be challenged by the elevation is your legs. I found Seven Oaks to be very enjoyable. It offers a good mix of tight and open holes, left and right turning holes with varying pin positions. Those were the only two I was able to play and when I talked to the locals they seemed to agree with my evaluations.
Eric
jist313
Noob

Postby jeremy » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:40 am

I would like to know what courses to play around Nashville. I couldn't find any Club sites for Nashville, and I will be moving there in June.

I'm currently work in Florence, SC, and live on the outside of Hartsville. The nearest course is a 9 holer with most of the holes being under 150ft and really no challenge and it's still 40min away.
jeremy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 178gr Comet

Postby JKP » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:16 am

drive up from nashville to bowling green ky, theres like ten courses there
Omega ss-Kc Aviar-Comet-Roc-Vision-Pd-Firebird-Katana
JKP
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: vision

Postby tim » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:57 pm

Playing in Nashville is awesome. If you want a map of area courses, check out www.dgcoursereview.com -- easily the best site for finding courses and reviews.

I got to play Cedar Hill Park, Seven Oaks Park and Sharp Springs Park -- the three top-rated courses around Nashville. Basically, Nashville has five pretty good courses and another couple of so-so courses. Bowling Green, KY, is just about an hour North, with a whole mess of courses...

However, having played some of the top Bowling Green courses, I think Cedar Hill in Nashville is better than anything Bowling Green has to offer. I joined up with a couple of locals and that course is great -- especially when they stretch the pins to the longer positions. Gorgeous course with tons of elevation and a great mix of cedars and hardwoods. Lush green grass and a stellar mix of open and woods holes with some true par 4s mixed in when everything is in the longs.

Sharp Springs is pretty good - mostly flat but some very memorable holes -- one over a small pond in a valley to elevated rocks with a pin tucked in the middle, others around a cornfield and other water hazards. Strange course, but decent mix of shots. Good for working other parts of your game. Not a great course, but decent.

Seven Oaks is just a few miles from downtown and 2-3 miles from the airport entrance -- perfect to play if you are there on business. It is a gorgeous course with a pretty decent mix of shots. They don't maximize the land as well as they could, and there are one or two pinball holes that are frustrating, but there are a lot of places you will be happy with your three, and a lot of great birdie opportunities that can turn into 4s quickly when you miss your lines. Also, there is a 3-hole bonus loop in the middle of the course that I missed the first time through until a different group of locals showed me it existed -- the bonus three holes are tight and beautiful, and a fun "secret" in a way.

Cedar Hills is without question the standout beauty -- both for variety of terrain and for lushness of the course. It's also apparently pretty deserted most of the time, so it's easy to get in a round. Seven Oaks on the other hand (as well as Sharp Springs, but to a lesser degree) are both pretty busy. It was just amazing to me that the best course for 100-miles in any direction is also one of the least played.

So if you're there, try Cedar Hills, then Seven Oaks, then Sharp Springs. The other two I didn't get to are Sander's Ferry and Crockett park -- both of which I hope to hit someday, but apparently are just a tick behind the other three in terms of overall quality, but are still well worth the time.

Locals I met were friendly -- and there is a TN Website. No maps anywhere for courses, but picture tours are on their Web site. Most holes have the pin-placement marked by a band of wire around the teesign -- you'll see what I mean. But those help IMMENSELY, since some holes have as many as six pin placements.

Jeremy--enjoy Nashville. Definitely a good disc golf scene, and with KY as your upstairs neighbor, you'll never be at a loss for weekend roadtrip destinations.
Flick long and prosper.
tim
2009 DGR Donator

Postby eg37167 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:29 pm

tim wrote:So if you're there, try Cedar Hills, then Seven Oaks, then Sharp Springs. The other two I didn't get to are Sander's Ferry and Crockett park -- both of which I hope to hit someday, but apparently are just a tick behind the other three in terms of overall quality, but are still well worth the time.

Locals I met were friendly -- and there is a TN Website. No maps anywhere for courses, but picture tours are on their Web site. Most holes have the pin-placement marked by a band of wire around the teesign -- you'll see what I mean. But those help IMMENSELY, since some holes have as many as six pin placements.

Jeremy--enjoy Nashville. Definitely a good disc golf scene, and with KY as your upstairs neighbor, you'll never be at a loss for weekend roadtrip destinations.

Tim,
I am a local scratch golfer that just couldn't make time to play with you here so I did not speak up at the time. I agree with your assessment-- Cedar Hill is the best and not very busy. Seven Oaks is maybe one mile from my office and I try to sneak over there after work but always have to wait. I live very close to Sharp Springs but do not like it at all. Glad you had a good time here.
eg37167
Tree Magnet

Postby jeremy » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:04 pm

Tim,

Thanks for the reviews. the bids for the job in Nashville should be out this week and I should be in Nashville by the middle of June. I can't wait.
jeremy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 178gr Comet

Return to Courses