Discspeed's Bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Discspeed's Bag

Postby discspeed » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:39 am

Putting/Approaching/Short drives

175g Organic S Voodoo--Stiff in the rim with some give in the flight plate. Used for putting and approaches generally less than 200'.

174 S Warlock--this is a tough, rubbery plastic and this disc is absolutely beat. It looks like its been run over by 20 cement trucks. It is flippy, but the action is very slow. It can start out flying hyzer and finish to the right. I use this disc for short straight to right drives (<260') and many long approaches as it glides longer than my putter and is faster.

175 S Wizard--similar rubbery plastic as my Warlock, but stiffer. This disc is moderately overstable. I use it for drop putts, putting in the wind, and short/stable drives (<280').

Mids

177 FR ESP Meteor--This disc is very straight at low speeds and flips at medium to high speeds. It has similar speed and glide to my Buzz, but has a more flippy, curvacious flight pattern. Where my Buzz flies on linear paths, this disc likes to be curving slightly one way or the other. I use this for midrange turnovers and dirty lines that my Buzz won't hit (<350').

178 2FR Buzz--Broken in and flies straight. Holds the line of release at medium speeds and flips a little at high speed. This is the workhorse of my bag on most courses used for straightish shots between 270'-350'.

178 2FR Buzz--New and more stable version of my other Buzz. Used as a backup and sees occasional use on windy days and for forehand approaches.

178 Z Drone--Overstable midrange. This disc is a pig, but with wings. It has decent glide for its stability and I can get it out 330' if I rip on it. This disc gives me 100% predictability on hyzers and spike lines where my Buzz would have a tendency to glide forward too much. It sticks where it lands on short hyzers far better than a driver. It is also my forehand approach disc of choice.

Fairway Drivers

175g 11x KC Pro Teebird--Broken in for S turns, straight and gliding hyzers. Very predictable and effortless in low to moderate wind. Up to about 375' on normal golf lines.

175 Champion Teebird--Overstable for hyzers and windy days. Very predictable driver and step up from my other Teebird.

172 Champion Firebird--Utility disc for forehands, spikes, thumbers, skip runs, etc. in normal conditions.

175 Champion Firebird--Most overstable disc I own. There are hurricanes where I live, and it won't keep me from golfing.

Distance Drivers

175g Champion Roadrunner--Understable hybrid driver/roller. I recently am trying this disc out in place of my Monarch as it better bridges a gap in my lineup speedwise and also seems a little more forgiving. I only use this disc on a few holes and in certain wind conditions.

175 Star Wraith--Broken in to fly on a distance version of my Buzz line. I use this disc for straight shots and helixes in low to moderate wind conditions. This is my longest disc on a turnover line and with a tailwind.

175 Star Wraith--Brand new and overstable. Backup/windy day/practice disc in the process of becoming a straight Wraith.

175 Star Boss--Hyzer distance driver. Has a little high speed understability, but is very low speed overstable. I can keep this disc very low and straight with a hyzer finish. In the open a helix with this disc is my longest golf drive.

175 Star Boss--This one is an overstable pig and will fly over 400' into headwinds. Used on windy days and other situations where trust is an issue with regards to stability.

I'm also messing around with a star Leopard right now as a more understable fairway driver. The problem is that its not really understable yet...but I'm working on that.
Other discs I'm still taking to the field though not in my bag currently--
Star and Champ Monarchs
Champ Grooves
Z Predators
Star and Champ Xcals
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Re: Discspeed's Bag

Postby emiller3 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:49 pm

Looks like an awesome bag, I'm looking at something very similar. I don't have anything in the Drone/Firebird spot, which do you like better for wind and spike hyzers? I'm a big fan of my Buzzzes, but I throw them more like 315', and I throw my Teebird on very similar lines, according to your post.

I thought I was the only person who liked the Meteor, I just put it back in my bag after finally admitting that there are a few shots that it handles better than my Buzzzes.
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby discspeed » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:23 pm

If I had to choose between the Drone and Firebird, I'd choose the Firebird because its better in the wind and for spikes. The Drone is better for approach shots where the Firebird is too fast. The Firebird is more overstable as well.
discspeed

Postby ferretdance03 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:02 pm

discspeed wrote:175 Champion Firebird--Most overstable disc I own. There are hurricanes where I live, and it won't keep me from golfing.

:lol:
Nice looking bag. It may be considered a little moldy for DGR, but it seems like you have a clear grasp of what each disc does for you. I like it.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby Banzai » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:05 am

ferretdance03 wrote:
discspeed wrote:175 Champion Firebird--Most overstable disc I own. There are hurricanes where I live, and it won't keep me from golfing.

Nice looking bag. It may be considered a little moldy for DGR, but it seems like you have a clear grasp of what each disc does for you. I like it.

It's only really moldy in the putter slot -- people around here like one putter mold, but putters are more a matter of preference IMO. You could also drop the Meteor for a more beat up BUZZZ. I think it's a perfectly solid bag.
ridge | roc | river | pd
Banzai
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Ridge

Postby discspeed » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:53 pm

banzai7 wrote:
ferretdance03 wrote:

It's only really moldy in the putter slot -- people around here like one putter mold, but putters are more a matter of preference IMO. You could also drop the Meteor for a more beat up BUZZZ. I think it's a perfectly solid bag.

I agree that 1 putter mold would be ideal, but for me all three of my Gateway putters share the same top and have very similar speed/glide characteristics. My putters are also VERY different flightwise, and I drive with them quite a bit. When I have a Voodoo or a Wizard as beat as my Warlock, perhaps I'll be able to eliminate a mold.

I also been down the flippy Buzz road. I have come to the conclusion that basically most Buzzes get squirrely when beat. The only real exceptions are some runs of the X buzz, including the best of all flippy buzzes, the original holiday buzz. The Buzz mold just isn't glidey enough in general, its made for low line drives. When it loses its stability it turns on itself too quickly when thrown anhyzer, losing distance where a Roc or a Comet (or Meteor) will soar. A beat Buzz is good for flipping flat and going straight or finishing slightly right, but not for more left to right shots (rhbh). The Meteor feels pretty close to a Buzz in the hand (mine are pretty flat), and has similar speed with a little more carry. It also starts out flippier than most Buzzes will ever get.

Speaking of moldy though...I think I decided to shelve the Z Drone tonight. While I like it, it takes too many shots away from my Buzz and Firebird, two discs I depend very much on having touch with. It is a good disc, but I've not had an overstable mid in my lineup since I moved to FL, and after a few weeks and a tournament the disc hasn't proven useful enough to carry regularly. I was especially disappointed when it misperformed into a headwind during my tournament round two weekends ago. The hole is like 260' on a big penninsula and there was a 15-20 mph headwind coming slightly left to right. I thought that if I threw my Drone flat at the basket it would hold the line like a Buzz...So I threw it with a slight hyzer release with a little pop just like I would throw my buzz if there was no wind and the Drone flipped up and then slightly over and didn't come back until the very end as it hyzered into the bank and rolled OB. I was in disbelief. I was reminded that there is really no such thing as a good windy day midrange except a slow and stable driver.
discspeed

Postby discspeed » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:55 am

A few tweaks...

Organic Voodoo
2x S Warlocks
S Wizard

Esp Meteor
Seasoned 2FR Buzz
Newish 2FR Buzz

Seasoned Star Teebird (lost my straight 11x)
Champion Teebird
Pro Firebird (old school Champ)

2x Champ Roadrunner
Seasoned Star Wraith
2-3x Star Boss
discspeed

Postby erb » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:17 pm

so how did you end up seasoning one of your teebirds, I read your other post?

and do mean to tell me that your firebird says pro but is champ?
I have an old leo like this also.
erb
Tree Magnet

Postby discspeed » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:50 pm

erb wrote:so how did you end up seasoning one of your teebirds, I read your other post?

and do mean to tell me that your firebird says pro but is champ?
I have an old leo like this also.

The Teebird is in my bag and flies beautifully straight now. I folded it in half 20 times or so all the way around the rim. Then i hammered it on concrete all the way around the rim. Then I laid the disc down on pavement and scraped in around, tipping it up to scrape the wings as well. After all this abuse I sanded all the burrs with a microfiber towel until everything was smooth and I also straightened out the rim as much as I could. The disc still has a decent dome and at first glance appears to be in pretty good shape. The flight is something I've never exactly had in a Teebird. It flies pretty much like a longer Buzz. I can throw it with finesse at all angles and it will hold, and if I throw it hard it flips a little bit at holds. Although I set out to make it a turnover disc, I'm very happy with what I got.

Beware though. The successful seasoned Teebird is white, grippy, domey, and stiff. I had another Star Teebird that was red and felt a little softer. The white one started out really overstable, where the red one was straighter. I folded the red one in half a couple of times like I had my other one. Immediately I could tell that the plastic was not the same and it held the bends much more. I folded it like three times before I got freaked out and stopped. I tried to bend it back by working on it for some time, but the disc was messed up. When I took it out to the course the disc was trashed. It would flip continuously if thrown at any speed whatsoever. I threw it in the water by releasing a standstill shot with extreme hyzer and having it flip up and over like 110 degrees to the right and way out into the lake.

And yeah, my Firebird is from like '02-'03 when CE was discontinued and "pro" discs were the predecessor of Champion. I also hit a 250' skip shot for birdie with that firebird during last weekend's tournament :D .
discspeed

Postby discspeed » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:09 pm

discspeed wrote:A few tweaks...

Organic Voodoo
2x S Warlocks
S Wizard

Esp Meteor
Seasoned 2FR Buzz
Newish 2FR Buzz

Seasoned Star Teebird (lost my straight 11x)
Champion Teebird
Pro Firebird (old school Champ)

2x Champ Roadrunner
Seasoned Star Wraith
2-3x Star Boss

My bag got a GREAT test last weekend at Jacksonville. We played 24 holes from 2 different teepads and with alternate pin placements. That added up to a lot of different lines and sometimes similar lines from different distances. The course also has a relatively high percentage of anhyzer shots making it very friendly for southpaws. Anyway, it exposed some weaknesses in my setup and I made some changes accordingly:

I took the Wizard out because my new Warlock is plenty stable and wind resistant and I prefer the beadless grip.

I added a seasoned Star Firebird to compliment my VERY overstable other one.

I put a Groove back in because I missed it for long, low, straight finesse drives. It can fly like a Boss when thrown with less power. On many long holes there were gaps to hit off the tee and I didn't want to throw hard. The Groove works very well for this and can be turned over and come back in a pretty tight, low line.

I'm just not feeling my Wraiths right now and have replaced them with some old Orcs that were lying around. I missed having a disc like the Orc for many drives 370-400' where again I did not want to throw my Boss because of the low speed overstability and high cruising speed and did not want to have to muscle my Teebird.
discspeed

Postby discspeed » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:02 am

175 Organic Voodoo
175 S Warlock beat
175 S Stiff Warlock for wind

177 ESP Meteor
178 2FR Buzz seasoned
178 2FR Buzz new

175 Star Teebird beat
175 Champ Teebird
175 Pro Firebird (old school champ)

175 Champ Roadrunner
175 Champ Orc
175 Star Max
173 Star Boss
discspeed

Postby discspeed » Tue May 12, 2009 8:04 am

2 175 Organic Voodoo--putt/approach/drive<250'
1 175 Stiff M Wizard--drives/wind

1 176 Z Comet
1 180 Z Comet
1 178 2FR Buzzz
1 180 Champ Shark

1 175 Polaris LS
1 175 Glow Champ Teebird
1 175 Champ Teebird
1 174 Champ Firebird

1 175 Star Roadrunner
1 175 Champ Orc
1 175 Champ Starfire
1 175 Star Max

For longer/open courses I also carry:
1 173 Star Boss
1 175 Star Boss
discspeed

Postby victorb » Tue May 12, 2009 10:10 am

You tweak your bag almost as much as I change underwear
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby discspeed » Tue May 12, 2009 1:13 pm

victorb wrote:You tweak your bag almost as much as I change underwear

The ones I haven't changed are basically the ones I throw the most. Voodoo, Buzzz, Teebird, Boss = under par anywhere, anytime :D.

Some of the other stuff I'm trying to use to help me change to a more effortless approach to the game. I have always thrown hard, and much of the time too hard. I have basic consistency problems that I've pretty much decided stem from relying too much on athletic ability to throw stable discs hard. I can crush everything when I'm feeling good, but add fatigue into the mix and my timing and snap are off. Evidence of this is in the fact that since I've moved to FL and become a MUCH better golfer skill-wise, my rating has not improved. This is because in MI I played one day tourneys where fatigue was never an issue, but down here EVERYTHING is 2 days, usually in sun/heat/humidity. HUGE difference. I want to become more smooth, effortless, and throw discs that help with this goal.

Also, pretty much every course in FL has water and alligators, so many discs leave me, and some come back. It other words, no committments or attachments to any single disc. I guess I truly am a disc player :lol:.
discspeed

Postby discspeed » Wed May 20, 2009 7:29 pm

discspeed wrote:2 175 Organic Voodoo--putt/approach/drive<250'
1 175 Stiff M Wizard--drives/wind

1 176 Z Cometout for
1 180 X Comet
1 180 Z Comet
1 178 2FR Buzzz
1 180 Champ Shark