Sidearm throw...

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Sidearm throw...

Postby zfrench » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:46 pm

anyone be able to give me a quick "summary" of what I should do to start to develop my side arm... been playing for a bit and just enjoyed the game. but obviously looking for a couple tips.. a newbie so any tips would greatly be appreciated..

Zack
P.S. Thank you in advance
if pro is the opposite of con.. what is the opposite of progress?
zfrench
Noob

mabey more info than you were looking for...

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:12 am

I used to throw sidearm exclusively and can still throw it pretty well. I can confidently throw 400' sidearm with decent consistancy.

My biggest tips are to:

keep your elbow close to the body, learn to piviot much like you would backhand

Keep your throws relatively low if given a chance they will fade out a bit and skip alittle more than back hand.

Keep the nose down, its easy to get alot of lift sidearm, resulting in a ton of fade.

Be extra careful throwing sidearm into wind, its already easier to turn over drivers sidearm.

also learn to throw stable dics sidearm flat without turning them over. This will seem hard due to the amount of snap sidearm provides, When done right these discs will fly straighter than backhand (less fade due to more spin). then slowly progress to faster more overstable drivers. You will develop more control and power this way than just throwing overstable plastic sidearm because youre afraid of turning it over.

I use a step very similar to a x step but with your right foot behind left with an additional step leading into it (also use this additional step in my backhand x step) for sidearm you will tend to need alittle more space for the steps, so you may have to start behind a tee pad.

Practice some on an open field, after learning to throw flat fairly well learn hyzers (they will be most helpful where a rhbh would anhyzer) then when you get to the course play a round throwing only sidearm or if youre not in anyones way, play a round sidearm and backhand off the tees (and for approaches if youre interested in learning a sidearm approach also)

Then show off when you can lay up nicely on that next big anhyzer hole right after parking it on the dogleg left.

and finally make sure you always having fun and dont let learning a new tecnique be too frustrating.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Blake_T » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:27 am

there's a good thread about the sidearm throw from a month or two ago.

i have an article reprinted that i don't really agree with wholly but gives a foundation:
http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources ... earm.shtml
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

side arm spin

Postby Toney » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:22 pm

One question: i thought a side arm throw produces less spin in general that a backhand throw, which explains why they turn over more easily than backhand throw? is this not right? Also, my side arms improved greatly after reading this sites article on side arm. The big different for was:

*Two fingers together under rim, with middle finger touching rim and index finger stacked on or laying against middle finger. The grip seems to promote the palm up orientation needed in this throw. Before this, i had two finger tips on rip, which created inconsistent throws.

*Elbow fairly close to body, but not touching. If too close, isn't this called "rexing" the throw.

*I've never thought about an x-step with this throw. I'll have to try it. By the way, why can't we all call the x-step the tango step? It's almost the same (sorry, I've been learning the tango lately).

toney
Toney
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:28 am

turnover from a sidearm throw is actually caused by off-axis torque.

most people tend to roll over during their follow through (especially if their palm is facing upwards during the throw).

i'm not a fan of the article since it sort of teaches that.

i can tell you are referencing the stokely video... i'm not a big fan of his teaching method on that either... he puts too much emphasis on not keeping the elbow close and not enough emphasis on how to throw an injury free sidearm.

this has been discussed a lot. most old-school players w/ 25+ years of sidearm experience under their belt say that if you let the elbow out you will eventually blow it. others say that you can, but you have to be careful, lead with the hips, good follow through, etc.

i blew my elbow pitching when i was younder so i don't throw a sidearm longer than 200' or so (and that is with a putter and with my elbow close).
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby presidio hills » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:50 am

i want to chime in.

i throw left handed backhand most naturally, then righty sidearm (threw a ball righty), and then i taught myself lefty sidearm... basically from scratch. at first it was about repitition with the wrist motion. i began by throwing short easy throws with it. one day i went in the field and learned how to get my footwork proper so i could get some hips involved... just used my hips and flicked my wrist and blammo! i could drive 300' with a sidearm. next step was getting the aim down, which was mostly about using a sidearm often (lefty sidearm is very useful for a lefty off the tee). get some footwork down that allows you to twist your hips followed by a simple flick of the wrist. stay low and don't swing your arm too much... use mostly wrist for spin and hips for speed.
i run on lazer beans
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:38 am

it sounds like you could be a dangerous competitor. The guys that have a good backhand and a good sidearm are already lucky. Now all you have left to learn is a good rhbh and you will have the most dangerous arsenal ive heard of.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby presidio hills » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:22 am

Thatdirtykid wrote:it sounds like you could be a dangerous competitor. The guys that have a good backhand and a good sidearm are already lucky. Now all you have left to learn is a good rhbh and you will have the most dangerous arsenal ive heard of.

thanks for the encouragement... i'm still learning, for sure... but i'd say i'm at the level i can get my lhbh and lhsa at around 300' on average and then i use my righty sidearm to scramble, throw overhand shots (including rollers with overstable discs), and occasionally full on righty sidearms (which feel comfortable with, but i've yet to hone). someday i hope to have both lefty backhand and sidearm equally comfortable off the tee for big D (400' +:)) at any moment, and then have the righty stuff for certain tees and scrambling. it's where i'm at now except 100' shorter :(
i run on lazer beans
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:22 am

no problem, youll get there. Just reading the articles on this page and talking to helpful people like blake, when i was learning my backhand drives I was able to streach my 250' backhand into a 350' backhand, which made my backhand as valuable as my sidearm (which at the time was at about 350). And since there has been a bit of progress (im throwing about 450 backhand, with room for improvement and 400 sidearm, and dont see myself being able to get much more than that), in the short run distacne comes and goes, but theres still the gradual progress, as with nearly everything 1 step back 2 steps forward.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Return to Technique