putter putter vs. driver putter

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: putter putter vs. driver putter

Postby Hoey » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:46 pm

Jesse B 707 wrote:
SkaBob wrote:
bogies is dave wrote:Never drive with your primary putter.

Why the smeg not? Only reason I can think of is if you're too overly concerned with a couple dings on it, and don't have the skills to compensate for it being beaten in a little more than it was earlier in the round if you nail a tree...

Your putting putter should be sacred

Rettup Yramirp Ruoy Esiarp!
Throw discs, and forget about life for awhile...
Hoey
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: fuse

Postby Jesse B 707 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:48 pm

haey kcuf
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby SkaBob » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:07 pm

Maybe APXs just don't beat in as severely from a tree hit as the putters you guys are using, but I've NAILED a tree on a drive and never really had more of a problem sinking putts with mine...

I can't say I'd consider ANY $10 piece of plastic sacred...Not unless I knew it was going to save the world.

I consider getting that worked up over it to be taking the game too seriously...At that point it's just as likely you've worked yourself into missing putts as it is any change in flight characteristics that caused it.
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby dgdave » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:05 pm

ferretdance03 wrote:
Jsw wrote:...despite most people on this sites hard on for beaded overstable putters...

It's funny every time.

Frank_Delicious wrote:I have 3 driving putters and 2 putting putters but I might overdo it a bit.

Me too.

Me three. Plus boner bananas are my fave
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby plastic_fondler » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:01 pm

I carry three putters. 1 is my main putter for putts and a few up shots. 2 is mirror of 1, same mold same weight. Used only for warmups, cali rounds and some random upshots. 3 is a main driver putter and up shot disc. I could see adding another driver putter to have a beat/new combo if I played a shorter regularly.
plastic_fondler
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: firebird

Postby Spinach D » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:25 pm

plastic_fondler wrote:I carry three putters. 1 is my main putter for putts and a few up shots. 2 is mirror of 1, same mold same weight. Used only for warmups, cali rounds and some random upshots. 3 is a main driver putter and up shot disc. I could see adding another driver putter to have a beat/new combo if I played a shorter regularly.

Why is it called cali when you get stuck alone during random dubs? Is it only called cali in california?

By the way, if I could putt even vaguely well we would have easily won at GGP tonight instead of splitting second. I think I'm ready to pay Blake to improve my putting!
Spinach D
Fairway Surgeon

Postby BIF13 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:42 pm

I carry a bag full-O' putters, because they are all putter holes man, they are all putter holes.
Z Nuke - Z Force - Z Surge - Z Avenger SS - Z Stalker - Z Wasp - Z Buzzz - ESP Meteor - ESP Comet - D Focus - D Magnet
BIF13
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Nuke

Postby garublador » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:00 am

SkaBob wrote:Maybe APXs just don't beat in as severely from a tree hit as the putters you guys are using, but I've NAILED a tree on a drive and never really had more of a problem sinking putts with mine...

I can't say I'd consider ANY $10 piece of plastic sacred...Not unless I knew it was going to save the world.

I consider getting that worked up over it to be taking the game too seriously...At that point it's just as likely you've worked yourself into missing putts as it is any change in flight characteristics that caused it.
I agree with this. I drive and putt with different putters because I use different weights. If I used the same weight for everything (which I have done) I'd have no problem putting with the same putter I use for driving. I've never seen a putter change drastically enough from one throw to the next to affect a putt and I've shaved off a 1"x1/4" piece of plastic off a Wizard in one throw before. If using a different putter of the same mold and weight has an effect on how you putt, I'd say it's probably either an issue with your putt or your mental game.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby plastic_fondler » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:09 am

I should have come down to the park last night then...maybe I would have gotten cali and shot double digits under. Come up to stafford and work on your putting. No one around to judge you but the deer. I think I might go for a new stamp...deer shitting in the woods. Thats my putting as of yesterday...sorry.
plastic_fondler
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: firebird

Postby chunk » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:24 am

i rarely drive with a putter unless the distance is < 200' and even then i'm more likely to grab a roc. i carry 2 putters, a worn dx aviar p&a and a star bb aviar, and use the dx for most putt and approach duties unless its windy, then i use the bb.
what would willie do?
chunk
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby Spinach D » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:41 pm

plastic_fondler wrote:I should have come down to the park last night then...maybe I would have gotten cali and shot double digits under. Come up to stafford and work on your putting. No one around to judge you but the deer. I think I might go for a new stamp...deer shitting in the woods. Thats my putting as of yesterday...sorry.

What about the turkeys? Stafford is the only place I've seen an actual herd of them.

I almost did go to stafford yesterday on my way down from sacramento. Had it prgrammed into the GPS, then decided I needed to do some work before dubs. Then I got to SF but didn't do any work before dubs! Sigh.
Spinach D
Fairway Surgeon

Postby adidadg » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:07 pm

bogies is dave wrote:
SkaBob wrote:
bogies is dave wrote:Never drive with your primary putter.

Why the smeg not? Only reason I can think of is if you're too overly concerned with a couple dings on it, and don't have the skills to compensate for it being beaten in a little more than it was earlier in the round if you nail a tree...

Well the reason being is I want to know exactly how the putter is going to fly. If I'm playing in a tournament and throw my PP (i'm so cool) on hole 2 and smack some tree hard, it will putt differently on my putt on hole 2, which is different than my putt on hole 1.

Maybe its just a mental thing? Like if you are expecting it to fly differently because of a tree hit, it probably will appear to. I highly doubt a single tree hit is going to affect your discs flight, especially a putter. Putter's flight characteristics change very slowly.

I practice my putting with a few different wizards, a one is pretty new, a couple are semi beat and one is ultra beat. They all pretty much act the same within the putting circle. Obviously they act quite differently when I drive with them but that is a completely different throw from a putt.
adidadg

Postby Jerrod » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:33 am

SkaBob wrote:I can't say I'd consider ANY $10 piece of plastic sacred...Not unless I knew it was going to save the world.

That's the problem, you won't know till it's to late....
Coyote Point Local
Jerrod
Tree Magnet

Postby the unwrinkled ear » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:33 pm

Spinach D wrote:
Why is it called cali when you get stuck alone during random dubs?

i dont know why the name, but i played doubles yesterday and one dude was solo. he was told he got to either thrwo two drives or two putts, but not two throws for each shot. is that standard when somebody is solo?
i sort of get it if so, but i also kind of think the solo dude should get two shots every time.

didn't matter last nite - me and my partner kicked all ass and no one had a chance. too bad it was for pride and no $$
most recent Ace: 7/16/09: Chavez Ridge/ Dodger Stadium, CA, hole #6, Soft APX
the unwrinkled ear
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby Hoey » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:35 pm

Pretty sure Cali is one extra shot per hole. Drive, mid, or putt... pick one or none, they don't "rollover" either.
Throw discs, and forget about life for awhile...
Hoey
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: fuse

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment