Understable Long Range Driver of Choice

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Understable Long Range Driver of Choice

Postby asimo » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:56 am

I hope this isn't a duplicate thread.

Lately I have been going threw a lot of thought trying to decide which understable driver I like best. I have tried the Sidewinder, Leopard, OLS, TL, Flippy Beast, Flippy DX Tbird, prolly a few others and I still can't decide which disk will win a permenant slot in my bag. Once I settle on a Understable driver I will just stick with it so that makes my choice now even more crucial.

What can readers of this forum say about thier experiences in picking a favorite understable driver? What were the deciding factors that made your final choice? :roll:
asimo
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:19 pm

I wouldnt reccomend making that kind of decision based on what everybody else throws.Its different for every person. For example my current favorite anhyzer distance driver is my nicely worn X cyclone. Which isnt too understable of a disc and it takes a bit of power to get it to hold 400' on an anhyzer line, espcially without having it fade back at the end. (I do like how i can make it fade back or make it keep going depending on power and arch of the line)

Out of what you have listed I believe the dx tee bird or the sidewinder to be the most consistant, Beasts have never been that consistant to me and leapards wear to be too understable for any use other than mabey downwind roller...

Important questions for anyone to help you decide whats best for you...

How much power do you have? I have a bit of power so the cyclone while not being too understable will still hold the lines I want.

What kind of lines do you want this disc to carry? For extreme right turns (RHBH) I dont throw back hand anymore I will throw sidearm, which eliminates the need for a disc that is too understable.

Either way even if everyone else decides on disc would be great for you, I would take it out along with any others you can get your hands on (borrow em from friends if you have to) and throw them all against eachother in a field trying any and every line you think you would want to throw with them. and most important see what YOU can make them do, and whats most consistant for YOU.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby garublador » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:34 pm

I tend to pick relatively understable discs for my straight, longest range drivers, so I end up using a beat up version of whatever I'm using at the time for my long anhyzers. Right now it's the Orion LS, which I like for anhyzer drives because it doesn't fade much. If I want an anhyzer with a fade I'll throw an X-Avenger.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby presidio hills » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:41 pm

i've been beating a pro startfire up for 6 months or so... it flips very easily, goes fast, and has lots of glide. it's consistent for me because i can release it with a variety of hyzer angles and amounts of power to get it to turn more or less. this is just the one i've taken the time to learn, though. just works for my style. i like the idea of using proline plastic for a turnover disc (or elite X).
i run on lazer beans
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby asimo » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:46 pm

I max out with my 165g champion orcs around 380'. I'm looking for an understable driver that I can throw much the same way that I throw my orc's for a str8 shot but have it end right instead.
asimo
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:08 pm

if you want a disc that can be thrown flat and turn through out its whole flight you will need something pretty understable.

I would say try a road runner it may be about right for you. However I would also learn to throw big anhyzers starting with a annie angle, for me this ismuch more consistant than throwing something understable flat. But for being thrown flat and getting a consistant turn i would definately try the roadrunner. Its probably the fastest understable driver ive found. I would compare its flight to a champion leapord, but longer and more controlable, espically for 350'+ of power.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Blake_T » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:58 pm

what you are asking for is a severely beat orc.

if you want a disc to feel/fly like another disc and have it fly more understable that is really the best way to go as it is the only way you will get similar ranges, speeds, glide, etc.

any disc that is very understable when new will get uselessly understable as it ages.

ideally find something that is stable when new and becomes understable.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Weebl » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:05 am

asimo wrote:I'm looking for an understable driver that I can throw much the same way that I throw my orc's for a str8 shot but have it end right instead.

I don't know if there are any discs that will fly stable-overstable and fade right (RHBH)... Learn to throw sidearm if you want a shot that will do what you're describing
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:17 am

exactly, any right turn rhbh will generally turn through out the flight and its very difficult to get a disc to increasingly turn more throughout its flight path. However I still find it very valueable (for myself) to be able to rip a 400' sidearm as well as a monster anhyzer for my right turns. I can easily get more distance backhand, and although currently it seems i have more right turn control sidearm, i feel that its limited compared to what im capable with anhyzer, once i get it down better.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Blake_T » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:29 am

Thatdirtykid wrote: its very difficult to get a disc to increasingly turn more throughout its flight path.

a turnover hyzer flip with flippy high friction discs or a roll curve with stable discs will do this...

i find very few people that carry a super beat dx disc that was once stable or have the ability to manipulate flight with wrist rolls... which is odd to me because i had both of these down within about 2 months of playing... indicative of the era? who knows. i often find myself wishing that more people did have these shots in their bag.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:28 am

I used to throw a very beat dx tee bird for hyzer flip style right turns, but I was never able to match the consistancy or distance as a similar line achieved sidearm. I do however see potential increased accuracy if you learn exactly how much and how sharp the turn would be on a turnover hyzer flip. I think I will revisit one of my old beat dx eagles or tee birds and try to master this one, it could never hurt ;-)
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby evilee13 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:58 am

i find very few people that carry a super beat dx disc that was once stable or have the ability to manipulate flight with wrist rolls... which is odd to me because i had both of these down within about 2 months of playing... indicative of the era? who knows. i often find myself wishing that more people did have these shots in their bag.

I would say this is indicative of the era. I would assume there are more understable discs available these days. For the sake of consistency and accuracy, isn't it better to have a disc in durable plastic that does what you want it to straight off the rack?

As opposed to having a less durable plastic that needs to be beaten to a specific degree to get the desired flight characteristics. The flight will also change as it gets more beaten in.

I'm still trying new discs and trying to determine what my bag should include. I would hate to rely on a beaten in disc. Probably pretty hard to replace to the right degree of being beaten in.

Personally, I experienced this with a Stingray, where it seemed like all of a sudden it wasnt doing what I expected it to anymore. So, I bought a champion stingray to correct the durablility of the plastic. However, the champion wasn't understable enough. Maybe the Star Stingray is next as I heard it's more understable than champion?

Wow, I'm babbling. See Ya.
evilee13
Noob

Postby asimo » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:44 pm

Blake and Crew,

Do you think I should get a 165g Pro Orc and start beating on it? Or would I be happier with DX? What about a 150 class? Will a beat orc work for me on str8 shots that finish right as well as big arcing annies, or will I want a different mold for those types of shots?

Ultimately I would love to beat one of my champions in enough to have it get flippy(I have a couple of them and intend to keep getting more), because im sure once it got where I wanted it, it would stay like that for awhile.

:D
asimo
Noob

Postby presidio hills » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:54 pm

to reply to evilee and asimo;

evilee: i'm a huge fan of the stingray... the champion ones just didn't fly nearly as nice as DX ones. dave dunipace basically claims the ontario STAR stingray is EXACTLY what we're looking for (a more durable DX stingray)... but i think he's just read enough posts online like your's and is sweet talking us. you can get 2 DX stingrays for the price of the STAR and you know they'll fly better. just rotate 'em in your bag. in my opinion they start out new, break in a bit after 30 throws or so... and stay like that for quite a while eventually getting uselessly beaten after 6 months of continued use. 2 would stretch this out a lot. plus you'll always have 2 to practice with.

asimo: i'm a huge fan of the pro orc, too. they do get really flippy, though. picture a fairly worn in DX valkryie that has a much better chance of coming back at the end. they have an awful lot of glide though, so if you can finesse a beat up DX disc well.. you'll dig 'em. i'd say buy a few though, and rotate them. you may also want to consider the pro starfire. they don't feel as nice to me, but they don't get AS flippy... plus they're easier to find (to buy, not in the bushes)
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:35 pm

dont count on breaking in a champ orc, as we all know these discs are made to not break in much. I still have my first Champ orc, and its taken quite a number of beatings. Now it flies about as understable as a dx orc. I used it for orc shots downwind for a while then retired it. If you want to keep the Same mold two dx orcs would be the way id go, wear them in evenly then you have a backup and a practice disc when you get them the way you like (keep rotating them though)
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Next

Return to Equipment