calling foot fault

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

calling foot fault

Postby AbelRod » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:09 pm

the situation: tee off and my foot landed on the wood of the tee box ( which is a foot fault) and i called it.

if someone says "no, your foot was on the wood" is that technically them seconding the foot fault?
NUKE, Pred, XL, Comet, Buzzz, Challenger
AbelRod
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: comet

Re: calling foot fault

Postby Dogma » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:44 am

If I were in your group I would see it like this:
AbelRod wrote:the situation: tee off and my foot landed on the wood of the tee box ( which is a foot fault)

"The front line of the teeing area includes the outside edges of the two tee markers." (803.02A)
Are you sure the wood is past the marked end of the box?
AbelRod wrote: i called it. if someone says "no, your foot was on the wood" is that technically them seconding the foot fault?

"The call may be made by any member of the group or an official. When the call is made by a member of the group, it must subsequently be confirmed by another member of the group." (803.04F)
It seems that your group would first have to determine if the wood is really over the line, as it sounds like the other player is challenging, not confirming, your interpretation. In other words, the other player agreed that you were on the wood, but not that you were over the line. Only after it is agreed that the wood is actually over the line would I read it as someone else seconding your call by having "confirmed" that you went over the line.
Dogma
2009 DGR Donator

Postby AbelRod » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:27 am

"If a tee pad is provided, all supporting points must be on the pad at the time of
release, unless the director has specified a modified teeing area for safety reasons." (803.02 Teeing Off)

my foot was not on the pad. the reason it was not discussed because that obviously would take longer than 3 seconds and i felt that the "call" wouldn't be valid. also i didn't want to be that guy that made a stink just to save a bad shot (i slipped too.)

now that i think of it this is not that 1st time this has happened with the SAME person. a foot fault that i called and he said don't worry about that worry about your shot ( in an earlier tournament.)
NUKE, Pred, XL, Comet, Buzzz, Challenger
AbelRod
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: comet

Postby Dogma » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:31 am

AbelRod wrote:"If a tee pad is provided, all supporting points must be on the pad at the time of
release, unless the director has specified a modified teeing area for safety reasons." (803.02 Teeing Off)

my foot was not on the pad.

It seems like the issue is how "tee pad" is defined. If, for example, you have an astroturf pad surrounded by wood timbers, is the tee pad limited to the astroturf, or does it also include the timbers that enclose it? Your interpretation may be right, but I don't see anything that specifically addresses it.

As another example: There are some tee pads at a course near me that are platforms with plywood tops that have a layer of rubber nailed on top for grip. The rubber was cut poorly on some and in some places is an inch or two short of the side and/or end of the plywood. By your standard the playing surface would be the rubber, and if you stepped on the exposed plywood then it would be a foot fault. The way I always see it played though is that people assume the tee pad is the plywood platform, and they ignore the uneven edge of the rubber. Again, I don't know which way is right.

AbelRod wrote:the reason it was not discussed because that obviously would take longer than 3 seconds and i felt that the "call" wouldn't be valid.

"A stance violation must be clearly called within three seconds after the infraction to be valid. The call may be made by any member of the group or an official. When the call is made by a member of the group, it must subsequently be confirmed by another member of the group." (803.04F)
I read that to mean the initial call has to be within 3 seconds. However, I've never understood it to mean that the confirmation by another member also has to be within the tree seconds. I wasn't aware that there was a deadline for the "subsequent confirmation." I'd be curious to know the answer to this.
Dogma
2009 DGR Donator

Postby black udder » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:16 pm

Question to me is was your supporting foot outside the wood when you released? I would believe the wood to be part of the tee.

On a minor note, if you slipped, perhaps you'll want to make sure you have more room on the tee pad. That would be more important than the shot or any rule violation as it could preserve your limbs :)
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Return to Rules Discussion