Random Doubles Rules?

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Random Doubles Rules?

Postby jdizzle3id » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:56 pm

I play a random doubles league every week and there always seems to be one guy without a partner. I was wondering if there is some generally accepted rule as to how many shots he gets per hole. We play with one mulligan per hole and two putts outside of 30 feet (I think). I get confused about the rules when someone drives it within 30 ft. Some people seem to think you don't get a second putt and some people seem to think you do as long as you count it as your mulligan for that hole. Any clarity would be greatly appreciated.
jdizzle3id
Noob

Re: Random Doubles Rules?

Postby black udder » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:00 pm

The way I've seen it played locally is if they cough up another ante, they get 2 shots for everything, just like if they had a partner. If they don't cough up another entry fee, they get 1 mulligan per hole, period.

Some folks glady cough up the extra entry fee because they're much better than 80% of the partners they could get.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby mark12b » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:01 pm

jdizzle3id wrote:I play a random doubles league every week and there always seems to be one guy without a partner. I was wondering if there is some generally accepted rule as to how many shots he gets per hole. We play with one mulligan per hole and two putts outside of 30 feet (I think). I get confused about the rules when someone drives it within 30 ft. Some people seem to think you don't get a second putt and some people seem to think you do as long as you count it as your mulligan for that hole. Any clarity would be greatly appreciated.

this topic just got discussed here (go forward a few posts to see more related posts):

viewtopic.php?p=159839#p159839
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby AciDBatH666 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:16 pm

black udder wrote:The way I've seen it played locally is if they cough up another ante, they get 2 shots for everything, just like if they had a partner. If they don't cough up another entry fee, they get 1 mulligan per hole, period.

Some folks glady cough up the extra entry fee because they're much better than 80% of the partners they could get.

this Is how ours works. Pay two entry fees and get 2 throws on each shot. Pay once and you get just one extra throw per hole
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby MIdiscgolfer » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:07 pm

Our doubles league just gives the odd man an extra throw per hole. no option to double up
"Wise men don't need advice and fools never take it." ....................... Mark Twain
MIdiscgolfer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wasp/Buzzz/Comet

Postby krazybronco » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:40 pm

the way we play at the local league is the odd man can get an extra shot every other shot but it does start over every hole so you can take two putts and the very next shot take 2 drives
NS destoryer, wraiths, beasts, firebird, teebird, leopard, rocs, and aviars
krazybronco
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: prefer 11x Teebird

Postby MDR_3000 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:15 pm

black udder wrote:The way I've seen it played locally is if they cough up another ante, they get 2 shots for everything, just like if they had a partner. If they don't cough up another entry fee, they get 1 mulligan per hole, period.

This is how we roll, also.
MDR_3000
I Throw Faaar

Postby Star Shark » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:42 pm

At Sylmar we typically say you can either mulligan your drive or get two putts at it on each hole. This way it's more of a strategic decision.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby black udder » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:52 am

Animix wrote:At Sylmar we typically say you can either mulligan your drive or get two putts at it on each hole. This way it's more of a strategic decision.

Do you have to call your option before or after you drive?
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby reallybadputter » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:01 pm

Traditionally, we have just given one extra shot per hole. There's a huge advantage to throwing an extra shot right after you've thrown one from the same spot...

Recently we've been splitting players into A and B players and if the B player is the unpaired player we've given them an extra shot on every throw. We also allow any player to opt out of the possibility of playing solo.
99% of the putts that you leave short never go in.
The other 1% never had a chance.
reallybadputter
Noob

Postby MR. WICK » Mon May 11, 2009 11:28 am

Cali - One extra shot per hole.
Connecticut - One extra shot per hole, if you don't use your extra shot you can bank it for future use. This opion is an additional buy in.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby Kenja » Mon May 11, 2009 12:04 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but theoretically, someone playing connecticut could take up to 18 teeshots at one hole?

So that's why there are so many aces at Wick :lol: j/k
Kenja
Noob

Postby MR. WICK » Mon May 11, 2009 1:26 pm

Kenja wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but theoretically, someone playing connecticut could take up to 18 teeshots at one hole?

So that's why there are so many aces at Wick :lol: j/k

Yeah that is true. But we always start them on hole 4 so you can't just take 18 ace runs. But you can bank em up till you get to 15.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Return to Rules Discussion