Tinicum Campsites?

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Tinicum Campsites?

Postby RoomTenONine » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:02 am

I am taking a little 2-3 day trip out to Eastern PA for some camping and DG over the memorial day weekend. I'm planning on camping at Tinicum and I'm told sites 108 are open. Does anyone know what the sites are like? Have a map of them? I can't seem to find anything on them at the park's site. I know some are right on the DG course and I'd like to get one of those.
RoomTenONine
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Sanny Q-Sentinel

Re: Tinicum Campsites?

Postby tim » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:50 am

All the Tinicum sites are right on the disc golf course... No more than 100 yards away at most. Call in advance and make reservations as soon as possible. A little hard to find the camping sites. No one is around on site, so calling in advance is by far the best way to get the details lined up. Great place to camp and play, though.

Sites are pretty good sized and have a sense of privacy from other sites -- good trees between you and the next site -- much more so than most public campgrounds. Bathrooms are there, but no electricity from what I recall. Good firepits from what I remember. I really enjoyed camping there the one time I passed that way.
Flick long and prosper.
VP/Wizard | Roc/Buzz | Firebird | Teebird | Destroyer
Vibram Putter tester -- feel free to ask me any questions.
tim
2009 DGR Donator

Postby RoomTenONine » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:36 pm

Thanks for the tips, Tim. Much appreciated.
RoomTenONine
Fairway Surgeon

Postby tim » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:35 am

Right after that trip, I wrote up [url=Here.]my review of Tinicum for DGCourseReview[/url], and I talk in more detail about the camping. See the "Other Thoughts" section of the review. That should give you more info.

Enjoy the trip. And if you can, DEFINITELY play the Allentown/Quakertown courses, as well as Tyler.

I personally consider Tinicum an amazing base of operations for a disc golf weekend. Tinicum is fun and a great warm-up course. Then hit Tyler an hour to the east (27 awesome holes, especially if some are in the longs), and then do one or two day trips up to Quakertown/Allentown. Nockamixon and Unami are stunning and close together... then a little farther up, Lehigh Valley and Jordan Creek are close together. And all of those courses have very different looks and feels to them, but all are incredible courses. Of the ~150 courses I've played -- public and private -- in the country, I've found no better place than eastern PA for a stunning long-weekend of disc golf. And if you want to make it a full week, bounce west and hit the courses around Pittsburgh, then drop in to WV for PawPaw. PA is an epic place for disc golf.
Flick long and prosper.
VP/Wizard | Roc/Buzz | Firebird | Teebird | Destroyer
Vibram Putter tester -- feel free to ask me any questions.
tim
2009 DGR Donator

Postby RoomTenONine » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:39 pm

Thanks man. I have read your write-ups of that trip you made. Great stuff.

The plan all along has been to play Jordan Creek on the way out, set up at Tinicum, play until dark. Get up, head to Tyler and play all day. Go home. I live just ~2 hours away so I'm able to jump out there every once in a while. I've just never camped at Tinicum before. My favorite courses out there are JC and Tyler. I used to play Tyler and Tinicum a bit when I was living in Philly.
RoomTenONine
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Solty » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:27 pm

RoomTenONine wrote:Thanks man. I have read your write-ups of that trip you made. Great stuff.

The plan all along has been to play Jordan Creek on the way out, set up at Tinicum, play until dark. Get up, head to Tyler and play all day. Go home. I live just ~2 hours away so I'm able to jump out there every once in a while. I've just never camped at Tinicum before. My favorite courses out there are JC and Tyler. I used to play Tyler and Tinicum a bit when I was living in Philly.

let me know time/date you will be at the JC....i may trek down to meet up!

solty
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby RoomTenONine » Tue May 19, 2009 12:43 pm

Mike, we'll be stopping there this Sat, probably in mid to late AM on the way out to tinicum. After JC we'll grab lunch a local brewery and head to the camp site. If time permits (and I didn't drink too much at lunch) I'll try and hit some of Nocamixon on the way over, but I'm not counting on it. Then its a couple rounds of Tinicum until dark. Sunday we'll play Tinicum on the way out, then to Tyler until heading home.
RoomTenONine
Fairway Surgeon

Return to Courses