DG shoes for wiiide feet - any suggestions?

Clothing for Disc Golfers, Shoes, Socks, Shirts, Hats etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

DG shoes for wiiide feet - any suggestions?

Postby Leopard » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:12 pm

I walk on freakin coloring book-sized flat feet. 4E is comfortable for me. Dad wears 6E and I'm probably just used to nothing fitting so even 2Es are tolerable. Size is only 11 or so, just mega wide.

Buying things in-store I've been wearing New Balance and Vans only for like 15 years. DG only in the New B's. Considering buying online for the first time.

Anyone know of a good DG shoe for wideass feet?
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Re: DG shoes for wiiide feet - any suggestions?

Postby Dogma » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:29 pm

I also wear a 4E, but I have high arches. New Balance is about all I've found, but even those are hit-or-miss depending on the model. Some Keens run very wide in the toebox. My foot is too high volume to fit most of their shoes through the instep and I find that they don't offer much stability to keep from rolling your ankle to the outside, but they may work for you. Dunham, made by New Balance, used to be a good choice in outdoor shoes. It seems like recently they aren't really as wide as they claim to be though. It's almost impossible for me to find shoes that fit. Good luck. And don't let anyone tell you that you have Flintstone feet. It just isn't nice.
Dogma
2009 DGR Donator

Postby tim » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:40 pm

Dogma is spot on. NB is best, and Keen is possible on a model-by-model basis. I've also had some North Face shoes and Timberland shoes that were much wider than I expected them to be -- shoes that are intended to be worn with a layer or two of thick hiking socks might be perfect for you when worn with thin socks. That said, for some of those options you'll need to try in person first. Hit up your local REI and see what works. My feet are more like 2E, so I don't have nearly the trouble you do, but my feet used to be much wider, so I know the feeling.

I went through most of college/grad school bare foot 90% of the time (even for disc golf), and I think that caused wider feet. After 5 years of corporate jobs and offices with enclosed footwear, I've gone from having to buy size 11-12 shoes (for width, not length), down to buying shoes from 9.5-10.5... I'm down about 1.5 sizes on what I used to have to purchase. It's been a nice change -- one of the best unexpected perks of office life.

All that said, Timberland boots and some trail shoes were some of the shoes years ago that I could find wide enough to wear, along with NB shoes.
Flick long and prosper.
VP/Wizard | Roc/Buzz | Firebird | Teebird | Destroyer
Vibram Putter tester -- feel free to ask me any questions.
tim
2009 DGR Donator

Postby Leopard » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:54 pm

glad you mentioned the ankle rolling. i roll my ankles constantly, especially the terrain that i play. i do wear ankle things (nike elastic support things, dunno if they're actually braces) for events or any time i play more than 1 round, or on certain courses. they help my ankles, hurt my feet... not wide enough there.

i guess NB wasn't too off-point. i shred them up easily and then wear busted shoes forever, but doesn't really bother me that much (again, just used to it). both sides bust out long before anything else goes.
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Postby Jesse B 707 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:07 pm

Keens
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Eric O » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:55 pm

Wide feet rules out Montrail that's for sure.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jesse B 707 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:51 am

Eric O wrote:Wide feet rules out Montrail that's for sure.

and most Salomons......and Vasques
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby domromer » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:05 pm

I've got pretty wide feet and have always had good luck with merrels. I just got a pair of keen boots and they are even wider than the Merrels.
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby zj1002 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:55 pm

i got wide feet and the only ones I fit into are new balance

close to buying some nice climbing/hiking ones the other day for DG but I was short on cash...spent it on strikers...
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Leopard » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:29 pm

i got a pair of the Bite Torque from GGGT and wore them today. Bite told me that they run about a D width, and I also got the safety size of 11.5, about 1/2 large. they're a little bit narrow-feeling in the sole, but the foot space is decent enough. they're the open-air / strapped style, so a little more forgiving than a normal sneaker.

anyway, haven't had a running/trail shoe in a loooong time.. feels weird. like walking monster-truck style.

i'll keep y'all updated about my feet and how they feel on a day-to-day basis
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Postby Ode » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:33 pm

i have a waterproof and a vented pair of merrels for winter and summer. They are pretty wide when you get up in the sizes. i wore vans almost exclusively for 6+ years before this, but since starting to wear boots to golf this winter, i bought the vented ones to wear everyday and for summer golf and i cant really wear vans anymore. there is no support in vans, the feel of the boots is way more comfortable.

plus, i can return em to REI and get brand new ones, which so far is about once every 6 months as i slowly tear the soles on the left toe and the right heel.
Ode
Tree Magnet

Postby RustyP » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:15 pm

This might not be new info, but Merrell is making the Moab Ventilator in wide sizes now. Not sure how widely available they are, but I picked up a pair at Bass Pro Shops a few days ago and I'm loving them. Its so nice having a pair of shoes that actually fit for a change!
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby thesauce » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:52 pm

RustyP wrote:This might not be new info, but Merrell is making the Moab Ventilator in wide sizes now. Not sure how widely available they are, but I picked up a pair at Bass Pro Shops a few days ago and I'm loving them. Its so nice having a pair of shoes that actually fit for a change!

I have seen the wides at Dicks Sporting Goods also.
thesauce
Noob

Favorite Disc: Dx Roc

Postby Jeronimo » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:31 pm

RustyP wrote:This might not be new info, but Merrell is making the Moab Ventilator in wide sizes now. Not sure how widely available they are, but I picked up a pair at Bass Pro Shops a few days ago and I'm loving them. Its so nice having a pair of shoes that actually fit for a change!

Yeah I was totally going to call out Merrell's. They're fairly roomy. Here's what I've got/had that was fairly comfy for me Ted and I'm a wide myself.

http://www.teva.com/ProductDetails.aspx?g=m&categoryID=421&productID=4103&model=Riva+eVent

http://www.keenfootwear.com/product/fw09/shoes/men/trailhead/targhee%20ii/walnut

http://www.lowaboots.com/catalog/ShowBoot.cfm?StockNum=3105864185&Category=3&Type=M

http://www.garmontusa.com/881003213.html

http://www.patagonia.com/web/us/product/mens-drifter-hiking-shoe?p=79454-0-782
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby beatz » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:42 pm

Im rocking 2 pairs of keen right now and love them !!! im a 12 4E in new balence but get a 13 in Keen's. I have the newport trail wp's and the Milo's. Love them and swear by them. The only thing i would change would be the soles on both. but thats for later pm me if you want to know what i dislike about them.
http://www.gdstour.com/index.php
http://www.utopiadiscgolf.com
code: "beatz"
recieve 5% off your order
Grow the sport!!!! Support those that support us!!!!!!
beatz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: anything gateway

Next

Return to Disc Golf Body Gear