150 Lovers

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: 150 Lovers

Postby marmoset » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:46 am

I am liking my 146 DX Rhyno quite a bit. It behaves just the way I was hoping it would, even with gusts up to 40 MPH yesterday. Now if only it came in Star or Champ...

I'm also having fun with my Roc. It is not quite as stable in the wind as I was hoping it would be but I might still have some 175 gram remnants in my throw. It is tough playing the wind with 150s.

Who am I kidding... I am horrible in the wind regardless of what I throw.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby SkaBob » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:31 pm

It's pretty easy to throw well in the wind with the 150 Tsunami or Flick! 8)
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby marmoset » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:37 pm

I'm surprised at how much stability a beat Aviar has.
I had to borrow some discs the other day (mine were at home) so I borrowed my friend's wife's 150 DX Aviar and Shark, both had an extra helping of beat.
I managed the Aviar out 250' a couple of times and there wasn't much turn at all in the HSS.
For comparison I throw 172 Aviars about 280' to 300'-ish. I hope to unlock a little more distance from the Aviar as my 'smooth' improves.
I was somewhat impressed with the Shark, too. It had been beaten into a Comet-like state.

At the risk of sounding bloggy, I came out of the course @ -4 with 2 borrowed discs so I felt pretty happy about that. It got me wondering why I usually lug so many more around.
Last edited by marmoset on Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby marmoset » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:08 pm

After 2 rounds from the blues, I am really digging the 150 Rhynos, Aviars and Rocs. Props to the DX Teebirds and Gazelles, too.

It is amazingly easy to get good distance with these discs and I still feel like I have good control over them because I am not putting too much into the throw. Just flow the technique and watch them float for good D. I guess the next test is to go to the wide open course and see how I can manage the winds. I am glad I don't live in Oklahoma... wind annoys me.
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby BarrabusTheDiscGolfGnome » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:58 pm

I threw my 150 champ teebird in the wind today numerous times. I flipped it into a headwind on hole one but after that it pretty much held whatever line I put it on as long as I kept my form clean. I really love the amount of control I have over this disc in 150 grams. It's like Marmoset said, I can put less into the throw and focus on mechanics and let the disc do the work. I would say that unless it is really howling, if you know your disc then a 150 in the wind is totally cool.
This is unbelievable disc that acts like space ship. -lovetodg-

Wizard / Roc / Comet / Banshee / Eagle / OLF
BarrabusTheDiscGolfGnome
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: DX Eagle

Postby black udder » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:55 pm

what's really cool is a tight hole you can take a beat 150g sidewinder and put a little hyzer on it and just whip it from around the right pec drill area and jack one out to about 250' or so. Just flips up and goes straight. Little more and it'll turn over, keep the form solid and it will even hold a hyzer all the way. Great for those shots that make you a little nervous :)
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby marmoset » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:09 pm

black udder wrote:...just whip it from around the right pec drill area and jack one out to about 250' or so.

I did that with my Roc today (about 240' I think)... and I know I could have put a little more on it. I'm thinking I can get about 270' from the pec drill.
The 150 DX Roc is a keeper. I started the beating in process today (Stupid trees! Who put this forest here?!?!?) hopefully I'll see a beat Roc eventually.

I'm thinking about trying a KC Pro for a tick more overstability. But I'll probably end up skipping on that one, keep cycling the DX Rocs and buy one of those 150 Sirius Sentinels instead.

After my relatively brief 150 foray it looks like my bag is shaping up.
Rhynos
Aviars (at least until I thrash my Rhyno into submission, maybe even past that. Dunno)
Rocs
Gazelles
Teebirds
Banshees
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby Luke » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:10 pm

I see you've decided to go w/out a comet.
Luke
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby marmoset » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:11 pm

I have the lightest Comet I can find, Elite X 162 grams (Thanks BIF). It is the only non-150 in the bag.
It got a lot of play today.
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby Luke » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:12 pm

Oh, I guess I did not understand that that was a 150 only bag.

Wow, I'm good with one bag. All the time, every time.
Luke
Fairway Surgeon

Postby marmoset » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:15 pm

I am all 150 for the next... who knows how long. Except for the Comet, that one stays. I might try to find another really light Comet in Z or ESP to compliment it. I just know I am gonna hear it from my wife because I am not throwing the other 300 or so discs that I already have.
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby Luke » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:37 pm

I've made a commitment to never own more than fifty at any one time.
Luke
Fairway Surgeon

Postby SkaBob » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:48 pm

marmoset wrote:I am all 150 for the next... who knows how long. Except for the Comet, that one stays. I might try to find another really light Comet in Z or ESP to compliment it. I just know I am gonna hear it from my wife because I am not throwing the other 300 or so discs that I already have.

I've got some of those Elite X ones from PIAS that had the stuff on them that made people think they were TP...all 3 are down around 162g...

Also, you should check out the 150 ESP Flick.
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby nice drive kid » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:31 pm

I'm loving my 150 Star Teebird right now. It goes further than my heavyweight Stars with much less effort. I can turn it, which comes in handy when I don't feel like flicking, but it is actually remarkably stable. Thrown full power it will flip, medium power it will S-Curve, and low-ish power it will stay stable while still going as far as a medium to high power-thrown heavy one.

What I like most about it is it's acting like a beat-in DX Teebird without going through the beat-in phase. My next one I might get low 160's so that when it does beat in it won't get crazy flippy... so far the gummy Star plastic is holding up, but we'll see.
Gator

Team Tolland Disc Golf
nice drive kid
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: CFR Gator

Postby black udder » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:22 pm

Luke wrote:I've made a commitment to never own more than fifty at any one time.

uh...yeah, good luck with that. If you're income ever gets to that of your family, I don't think you'll be able to keep that commitment :P
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment