Understable Long Range Driver of Choice

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby asimo » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:47 pm

asimo wrote:Will a beat orc work for me on str8 shots that finish right as well as big arcing annies, or will I want a different mold for those types of shots?

Still hoping for an answer on this one, especially from Blake.
asimo
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:16 pm

i wouldn't force a break in on anything.

i'm not a fan of understable discs in more durable plastic since they tend to be less controllable in terms of their flight manipulation.

what i have found from my experiences are that broken in stable discs tend to get thrown less once they hit the turnover part of their lifespan. they will continue to get progressively more understable, but it took me over a year to turn my turnover valkyrie into a pure roller... and by then i had a few stable valkyries that had turned into turnover valkyries. my current turnover valk is approaching roller status now... and i have another one to take its place.

a dx orc has a fairly short lifespan as a stable driver (for me about a month).

the true shot that flies straight and then finishes right is a flippy disc released with a lot of hyzer (60 degrees or more) that slowly flattens and then gradually turns late. the stingray has always been the archetype for that shot but lacks the d that most people want out of it. a dx panther is another disc that excels at that shot but is also "distance challenged"

as for the question about big arcing annies as well as the shot described above, the answer is that the same disc is not a good choice for both shots. now if you want a big arcing turnover hyzer flip shot... they will work for that.

generally when throwing annie you want something more stable.

the real key to manipulating turn... how much it turns, etc. is learning how your finish will affect the disc in terms of shoulder rotation angles, follow through angles, etc.

from the sound of it, a lot of these questions could be answered with a dozen or so single driver rounds with a disc like a dx gazelle, d cyclone, or polaris ls. if throwing it on every shot off the tee, it will age and it will force you to develop adjustments to nuances of the disc... but this will unlock a lot of knowledge about throwing. i guess you could take this as a challenge :P
throw 12 rounds with 1 of these 3 discs and using it on every shot off the tee:
d cyclone, dx gazelle, polaris ls in weights from 168-171g
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby asimo » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:34 am

Challenge accepted! Just as soon as I get around to buying some discs.

thanks,
Asimo
asimo
Noob

Postby presidio hills » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:12 pm

Blake_T wrote:throw 12 rounds with 1 of these 3 discs and using it on every shot off the tee:

what about these discs made you suggest them? would an E sabre help me learn some things, too? cuz i just bought a couple...
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Weebl » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:37 pm

presidio hills wrote:
Blake_T wrote:throw 12 rounds with 1 of these 3 discs and using it on every shot off the tee:

what about these discs made you suggest them? would an E sabre help me learn some things, too? cuz i just bought a couple...

I think he suggested those discs because they are relatively nuetral in their flight characteristics and are similar to putters (When compaired to high speed drivers) in the fact that they don't hide off axis torque very well and by throwing multiple rounds with one of these discs you learn how to master release angles to manipulate the discs flight to your benefit.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby TexasOutlaw » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:10 pm

It used to be an xpress for me, but I've switched to an x slipstream, the ace race version. It works great for turn over shots right out of the box. So far, the stability hasn't changed on it so much, and I hit a lot of trees.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:58 pm

it's those discs because they are versatile and will hold lines.

i didn't mention the eagle because it's a shade faster.

there's only a handful of discs out there that are versatile enough as drivers to be used for any type of shot.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Previous

Return to Equipment