Rip points on mid-range discs

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Rip points on mid-range discs

Postby Toney » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:13 pm

On a mid-range disc, either with long putter or dedicated mid-range disc, should I be maintaining the same rip tension for every throw that is not a short putt? At a hundred feet, i like using a roc because I like the grip better and I feel more comfortable with the rim. But in any case, at say 100 feet, should I still be pinching the disc and ripping it off my index finger, or should the sensation be more a slipping off the finger? One thing, I do know, that at these distance, the feeling of slipping or ripping helps in my aim, as if I could dictate in what direction the rip happens.

Thanks
Toney
Noob

Postby Goob The Noob » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:51 pm

You should be using whichever technique gives you the best results and that you are most confident with. There are no hard and fast rules.
Goob The Noob
Noob

Postby presidio hills » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:34 am

Goob The Noob wrote:You should be using whichever technique gives you the best results and that you are most confident with. There are no hard and fast rules.

well said!

i use power grip for everything down to putts. i have small hands and used to throw ultimate discs power grip... just felt the best.
i run on lazer beans
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:02 pm

I grip lock my midrange if I don't slightly change my power grip. I'm experimenting with loosing up my grip (which robs me of distance) and using a fan grip for these discs (buzz, glide, rock, wizard, etc).
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Weebl » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:27 pm

I had difficulty with grips on midrange and putters as well, and i finally resorted back to power grip for everything but putting. What helped me with gripping putters and mid range was lining the disc with the orientation of the seam between the palm and the index/middle finger, then curling my fingers to keep that orientation. Just fool around with grips and find what works, for everyone it's different (Bigger/smaller palm/fingers)
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:49 pm

i was going to post on this earlier but kept getting busy...

grip strength has a LOT to do with the power and accuracy of your midrange and approach throws.

i can throw a putter 220' from standing still and throwing 50% power, therefore, to limit distance i have to use angles, height, and grip strength, espeically when i'm throwing under 100'.

grips like the fan grip allow for a much cleaner release without requiring you to throw hard to get the rip out of your hand.

loosening the grip but using a static level of power will take d off the throw.

there are some players out there that have so much power that a power grip throw with a putter will flip it even with good technique. these are usually the players that must make the greatest adjustments.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:05 pm

Blake_T wrote:i can throw a putter 220' from standing still and throwing 50% power, therefore, to limit distance i have to use angles, height, and grip strength, espeically when i'm throwing under 100'.

I can/ have thrown my wizard about 200 feet, but I griplock and it dives right on occasions which makes me weary of doing so.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

grip issues with mid ranges

Postby Toney » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:35 pm

To sum up if I can, it sounds like the way to handle throws under, say 150 feet, is to adjust grip style and or strength, maybe with a fork or fan grip--but try to not to radically adjust the way your throw. You still need to have a strong follow through, for example, and good weight distribution. This sounds like a Jack Nicklaus approach, whereby you try to keep the swing the same but alter other things, like club length, grip on the club, shortened grip on club, etc. Does this make any sense?
Toney
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:18 pm

generally shorter throws will have a shorter reach and a less prominant finish. the SHOULDERS should continue on rotation, but the force of extension can be greatly decreased.

cam todd is a great example on this. when he throws a 200' drive his arm never straightens but his upper body continues on a full rotation.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Return to Technique