Gore Tex Shoes

Clothing for Disc Golfers, Shoes, Socks, Shirts, Hats etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Gore Tex Shoes

Postby Jaysus » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:31 am

How hot do Gore Tex Shoes make your feet in the summer?

I have a pair of eVent Keens low hikers that are flat out hot - great golf shoe otherwise, but I'm thinking they will be winter only for me (or my monsoon shoes - lol). I am looking for a lighter pair of golf shoes for the summer, and had been planning to go without Gore-Tex...

Will a Gore Tex shoe really be that much hotter than the same shoe without gore tex?
Jaysus
1000 Rated Poster

Re: Gore Tex Shoes

Postby Timko » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:49 am

They make your feet sweat. Everyone has different feat and different levels of "sweatness," but they're warmer than non Gore Tex shoes for sure.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby rusch_bag » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:29 am

It hasn't even been that warm out this year yet, but I had to get another pair of shoes because my feet were getting too hot. I still wear my shoes with gore tex if the ground is wet though. I got them for throwing in the snow originally.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby dgdave » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:47 am

My Merrells are hot as hell and heavy. My Salomons and north face shoes are very manageable.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby Eric O » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:04 am

Jaysus wrote:How hot do Gore Tex Shoes make your feet in the summer?

Will a Gore Tex shoe really be that much hotter than the same shoe without gore tex?
I do not like W/B shoes for summer golf for a couple reasons.

First off, your feet will for sure not stay cool and breathe as well as they would with a more ventilated upper. Second, the membrane adds unnecessary weight and complexity in the shoe when it is not required. Finally, the W/B shoes are more expensive and the membrane only does it's job for so long, so I'd rather lengthen their lifespan by only putting wear and mileage on them when necessary.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jeremy » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:59 pm

Winter and wet seasons I wear gore-tex Salomons, and in the summer have a light vented pair of Salomons, and several other light shoes for disc golf Nike's, and New Balance. I try to rotate my shoes weekly to keep the wear about the same. I recommed not wearing gore-tex shoes in the summer.
jeremy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 178gr Comet

Postby PeterM_Vang » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:01 am

Gore-Tex shoes will be much hotter. I used to wear Gore-Tex shoes all the time but, my feet were always really hot in the summer time. In some shoes my feet felt so hot that I thought I was getting blisters and at the end of two rounds, my feet were really sore. I didn't think the gore-tex made that big of a difference until I switched to a non gore-tex shoe. Now I only use gore-tex in the snow and in the rain. I am currently wearing the Nike Wildedge for dry weather and the Nike Wildedge GTX in the snow or rain. It's a great shoe that is very durable. You can get a pair off of Ebay for about $40-$60. I'd say they are more comfortable than my North Face or my Salomons.
PeterM_Vang
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby spitfire » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:05 am

How hot are the seal skin socks? I imagine they are just as hot gore tex if not hotter. I thought for summer i would grab a pair of NB and try out the seal socks.
spitfire
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: pro wraith

Postby Shaolintrained » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:27 am

spitfire wrote:How hot are the seal skin socks? I imagine they are just as hot gore tex if not hotter. I thought for summer i would grab a pair of NB and try out the seal socks.

I wouldn't advise it. Those sealskins do get pretty warm. I wore my goretex Salomons all last Summer and they were fine. Anytime I put on SealSkins it just gets too hardcore. They work wonders in the winter though.
Trade list: http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12798
"Music is my religion" -Jimi Hendrix
Shaolintrained
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beat DX Roc

Postby spitfire » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:50 am

Shaolintrained wrote:
spitfire wrote:How hot are the seal skin socks? I imagine they are just as hot gore tex if not hotter. I thought for summer i would grab a pair of NB and try out the seal socks.

I wouldn't advise it. Those sealskins do get pretty warm. I wore my goretex Salomons all last Summer and they were fine. Anytime I put on SealSkins it just gets too hardcore. They work wonders in the winter though.

That's kinda what i thought. I am just going to wear my NB's. If I have to go into water oh well. Now if it is rainy out I will wear my gortex with gaiters.
spitfire
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: pro wraith

Postby Shaolintrained » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:52 am

spitfire wrote:
Shaolintrained wrote:

That's kinda what i thought. I am just going to wear my NB's. If I have to go into water oh well. Now if it is rainy out I will wear my gortex with gaiters.

That's definitely the way to go. Good shootin' this season, Fella.
Trade list: http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12798
"Music is my religion" -Jimi Hendrix
Shaolintrained
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beat DX Roc

Postby Jaysus » Mon May 04, 2009 9:06 am

With all that being said... thank goodness for the goretex shoes I had on during the rain soaked round I played yesterday - my paws stayed dry as could be.
Jaysus
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Seneca_22 » Wed May 20, 2009 8:50 am

Never really thought about how hot my feet get during disc. I know I have a couple pairs of basketball shoes that don't breath well when I play ball, but as far as disc shoes, I don't remember my gortex solomons making my feet any hotter. My only gripe was the forefoot cushoining sucked. I've since got a pair of nike gortex runners with much better forefoot cushioning.
Seneca_22
Tree Magnet

Postby JKP » Wed May 20, 2009 9:05 am

My feet are sweating in 70 degree weather! i take them off inbetween rounds and let them cool
Omega ss-Kc Aviar-Comet-Roc-Vision-Pd-Firebird-Katana
JKP
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: vision

Postby Fullbag » Fri May 22, 2009 12:30 am

JKP wrote:My feet are sweating in 70 degree weather! i take them off inbetween rounds and let them cool

Wow! I wish I was able to take my feet of too!
Fullbag
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: KC Pro Aviar

Return to Disc Golf Body Gear