Road OB?

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Road OB?

Postby Mr.Bigg » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:09 pm

Was playing a casual game and myself and another guy both took a shot going across a road and didn't know if we were in bounds:

Shot 1:

Landed on road and slid on top of dirt/mud on the shoulder. So basically, the road had been encrounched by years of dirt and grass ect, but you could tell the disc it was still probably within the edge of the original asphalt line. No visible pavement underneath

Shot 2:

Shot comes back into a marshy area about 150 ft. from the teepad, on the side of the road shooter shot from. This may be somewhat harder to describe, because as I read what I wrote, there is no way it would be considered OB, but basically you are shooting across the road 30 ft away and this would be a shot coming back over the road into a relatively unused area.

For reference for anyone who knows the course, I am talking about hole 13 on Swope Park in KC.
Mr.Bigg
Noob

Re: Road OB?

Postby Dogma » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:56 pm

I've posted a lot of OB questions that Chuck has patiently answered, and his answer has generally been: terrain objects (roads, trails, pavement, water, etc) make bad OB lines due to exactly the kind of vagueness you described. A tournament should have a clearly marked line in place to define OB properly, rather than rely on topography. But I realize you asked about casual play.

In casual play we usually say that if it's surrounded by OB then you're OB, otherwise you're not. Disc 99% on pavement, but 1% on dirt = not OB. Disc in water, but also sitting on mud that is arguably muddy shore or arguably wet streambed = not OB. Basically, we assume you aren't OB unless it's obvious. But again, that's just casual rules.

Shot 1 = not OB
Shot 2 = I'm not sure what you were describing. It doesn't matter that you crossed the road and came back (unless you never crossed back IB and landed OB, then it would determine the location of your lie). It matters where you land.
Dogma
2009 DGR Donator

Postby Mr.Bigg » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:41 pm

In retrospect, #2 was a situation that is better asked to someone who knows the course and not to the general public.
If it applies generally I guess the question is, is anything not marked ob or in water considered in bounds. Here's a quick replica of the hole if this works:

..................P.......................___
.......................................___
.....................................___ X
...................................____
................................___
............................____
..................________
................_____

..................T

P= PIN
X= Where his disc landed
T= Tee

The lines are the road
Mr.Bigg
Noob

Postby rehder » Tue May 05, 2009 12:03 am

If the road is not marked as OB anywhere, then the road is IB.
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Dogma » Tue May 05, 2009 5:27 am

rehder wrote:If the road is not marked as OB anywhere, then the road is IB.

Ditto the area on the opposite side of the road. Some places, public parks in particular since they tend to have other users nearby, might have rules like "right of the road is OB" but those situations are the exception, not the norm.
Dogma
2009 DGR Donator

Postby nohr » Tue May 05, 2009 2:21 pm

I have just recently started playing tournaments again. Every one I have been to so far has had the "on the road or across" is OB.

I am sure it varies from course to course but in general I play if it is on concrete it is out of bounds.

Shooting a disc where cars are going isn't just stupid it isn't safe. Taking a disc to the dome while driving by would be crazy bad.

Casual rounds I always ask the group "ok is parking lot OB?".
nohr
Tree Magnet

Return to Rules Discussion