150 Lovers

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: 150 Lovers

Postby Luke » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:27 pm

At 18 I need to spend money on tuition and books, not beer and plastic. However, a good ol' 33 on the ACT has made my savings seemingly stretch through out college. I think that I'll get more when I have a real job in a few years... I'm still buying some now now, too. It'll only last so long.
Luke
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby black udder » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:16 pm

yeah, I used to think that I didn't need much plastic, but as soon as you get a little disposable income, you'd be surprised how "important" plastic becomes LOL

And... good luck with school. Make the most of it, it's your best chance to get all the training you need to reach that overtaxed bracket and, speaking from experience on the lower half, you'd rather be taxed 50% of well off than not be well off :)
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Luke » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:20 pm

I've got an addictive personality. I can see it getting bad. I'm sticking to my guns on not buying any more discs for a while... other than possibly one or five.
Luke
Fairway Surgeon

Postby black udder » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:51 am

Luke wrote:I've got an addictive personality. I can see it getting bad. I'm sticking to my guns on not buying any more discs for a while... other than possibly one or five.

I thought I was pretty set, then I got into it and now I have my 150g drivers, my normal fairway drivers, normal distance drivers, then midrange drivers, putter drivers, putters, practice putters, backups, alternates, experiments... it's a sickness...really... save yourself.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby Luke » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:31 am

Boss - getting a few back ups
Wraith - She'll stay, scarred or not, maybe if someone calls her out...
Max - Have one back up
Teebird - got a few 11x now
Wasp - Won't need replacing forever
Comet - Slowly winning affection.
JK Aviar - Will keep until it breaks

There's all the discs I need.
Luke
Fairway Surgeon

Postby marmoset » Sun May 03, 2009 3:22 pm

My 150 seems to be holding up well. Progress report on two of my favorites so far:

Roc
I am constantly surprised at how well the Roc holds in the winds. I had some shots with it that I really enjoyed. 320' hole, very open, slightly down hill (no more than 5' I'd guess) and the basket is at the edge of the treeline just under some branches. There was a constant 5 mph L-R breeze. I parked it one time and almost overthrew it once but the branches knocked the Roc straight down to the basket. The wind never seemed to affect it... no towering lifts no real turn or fade, nothing. Even the field shots were similar. Having the lighter weight really lets it float out for some awesome D and the lower armspeed helps with the accuracy.

Gazelle
The Gazelle is a very similar story as it got similar results to the Roc: great predictability, wind resistance (not heavy winds, though. Maybe breeze resistance is better terminology), accuracy, and distance. I know I got over 400' with it a couple of times (still throwing downhill but with a cross breeze).

Others
I still like the Aviar and Rhyno. My beat Aviar has fantastic distance on jumpers.
The DX Banshee seems promising but I just don't have enough throws with it to get a great read. I'm hoping to beat one in for a stability between my new Banshee and my new DX Teebird. Hitting a wire fence and losing a chunk of plastic is a good start :roll: .
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby marmoset » Mon May 04, 2009 5:43 am

I had no idea...
150 DX XCals
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby marmoset » Mon May 04, 2009 7:24 pm

Dave Dunipace wrote:I had a thought. Originally this thought came by way of the Japan Open.

Several trains of thought converge for this idea, so please bear with me.

1. With good technique, driving in 150 class is just about as easy, if not easier than heavy class. With the advent of the speed 12 and 13 discs, and especially with more stable models, these discs in 150 class easily out distance heavier slower drivers, except possibly into a wind. Accuracy and technique are a little more difficult but definitely manageable.

2. Although a case for lighter putters could be made for putting under obstacles and possibly longer distances, I feel pretty confident saying that heavy putters are generally advantageous.

3. Most everyone can operate a heavy (175g) putter. Most everyone can operate a 150 class driver (bad technique aside). Not everyone can properly operate a heavy (Boss-like) driver.

4. Safety is a concern for disc golf, especially in Japan. Safety of discs are related to weight, nose radius, flexibility, and operating range and speed.

5. The safest discs have the bluntest noses, most flexibily, lightest weight, and are the slowest with the shortest (theoretical) operating range.

6. The second safest discs would probably be all of #5 in heavy weight plastic. In other words, I believe a super soft heavy putter is just as safe, if not safer, than a 150 high speed driver in normal plastic.

With all this in mind, why not have a 150 class, allowing exception for super flexible putters? Putter class would be defined by nose radius. Flexible would be set at around 10lbs, as opposed to the current 26lb limit.

I conducted a simple test on a medical scale, pushing the disc down with my hand until it bent to approximately 90 degrees. A Super Soft Omega easily passed (for example).

This could be a separate class like Super Class, Vintage, or 150 Class. Maybe 150 Super Class or, (in my opinion), Fair Class.

I suppose we could have a Super Flex Class that allowed in all types of drivers but, I don't think it would be as safe, due to the additional weight of the faster, longer range drivers. Speed and weight are not good for safety. That being said, a Super Flex Class would certainly be safer than the current standards.

Just some thoughts, not to scare anyone. If it is tested anywhere, it would probably be in Japan.

I thought this was interesting... I highlighted the first 3 points because they deal with some of the pros/cons of 150.
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby SkaBob » Tue May 05, 2009 8:50 am

I've got to agree with Dave on those points (especially the highlighted ones). The putter one is interesting, but very true... My 150 class putters get used for really long runs where I want the extra glide, but for in-close precision the wind REALLY interferes with them.
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby marmoset » Tue May 05, 2009 9:39 am

Ditto.
I mainly putt with my 172s because
1) wind resistance
2) I don't want to relearn heavier putters when (IF) I go back to heavier discs

The 150 putters rock for long jump putts
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby SkaBob » Tue May 05, 2009 11:49 am

They're also great for long downhill floaters... Just a quick little flick of the wrist and I can send my 150 Reefs gliding lazily right at the chains
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby marmoset » Wed May 06, 2009 8:28 am

Dave Dunipace wrote:I should have said previously, that we will be making R-Pro in 150 Class for most of our drivers including Leopards and TeeBirds.

Didn't the R-Pro Bosses turn out more stable than the regular blends?
Will this in essence be a stablilization process for light weight fairway drivers?
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby black udder » Wed May 06, 2009 8:48 am

The teebirds I have in star 150g aren't more overstable than any other. 150g Rpro teebird might be pretty good.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby marmoset » Thu May 14, 2009 5:23 pm

new toys!

X Surge
Weak plastic, loooong flights, and quite a bit more understable than I wanted. I'm still trying to figure out if that's just my form.

OLF
Whooooo buddy!!!!!
Love me some 150 Orions. I got a MOLF and a QOLF (both 1.1s) and so far they seem to make a good pair. I know I sent my MOLF over 450' (downhill and riding the wind) so I was kinda stoked about that. I can't wait to beat that MOLF a little.
Orions are in the bag after only a few throws.
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby BarrabusTheDiscGolfGnome » Sat May 16, 2009 7:07 am

You gotta love the OLF! I have a 160 MOLF that performs miracles, if yours flies anything like mine you are gonna like it...a lot.
This is unbelievable disc that acts like space ship. -lovetodg-

Wizard / Roc / Comet / Banshee / Eagle / OLF
BarrabusTheDiscGolfGnome
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: DX Eagle

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment