What is a good DG hat in the summer?

Clothing for Disc Golfers, Shoes, Socks, Shirts, Hats etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: What is a good DG hat in the summer?

Postby JR » Sat May 02, 2009 1:07 pm

Grr economy... Worked yesterday. :cry:
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby marmoset » Sat May 02, 2009 3:40 pm

kaht wrote:Image

I got one of these from WalMart for $7 and it works GREAT! When I didn't need it I could crumple it up and jam it in my bag.
Thanks for the headsup Kaht.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby JR » Sat May 02, 2009 11:03 pm

marmoset wrote:
kaht wrote:Image

I got one of these from WalMart for $7 and it works GREAT! When I didn't need it I could crumple it up and jam it in my bag.
Thanks for the headsup Kaht.

Aren't they usually made from cotton? I have one of those and anything made from cotton does not wick away moisture and dissipate it nearly fast enough. Cotton does not work anywhere in sports clothing. Once it gets moist it chafes like sand paper. Experience from sensitives having been chafed :( At least that's the perspective of a super sweaty guy.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JR » Tue May 05, 2009 6:46 am

Ended up with trying out a dozen different hats in two shops and picked Columbia Omni-shade for most usage and Buff Vizor Evo2 for the hottest days when radiation protection all around needs to come from a bottle. Buff breathes a lot more and claims 50 % higher protection factor. Columbia was the most breathable on top and the only one of the all round brimmed hats with any sort of wicking that might suffice. Both can be crushed and are light so I'll likely carry both. Sore arm can't throw and test them for a while :-( Neither is problematic so far with staying in the head and Columbia has a under chin cord to help securing added to lower crown adjustability. Bug repellents need to be added in the worst areas probably.

The material in Buff is too soft for ignoring durability in pine forests around here.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Jaysus » Tue May 05, 2009 7:13 am

JR wrote: Buff Vizor Evo2 for the hottest days when radiation protection all around needs to come from a bottle. Buff breathes a lot more and claims 50 % higher protection factor.

The material in Buff is too soft for ignoring durability in pine forests around here.

Boy that hat is ugly.... regardless, I think I want one Image
Jaysus
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Thu May 07, 2009 12:05 pm

Jaysus wrote:
JR wrote: Buff Vizor Evo2 for the hottest days when radiation protection all around needs to come from a bottle. Buff breathes a lot more and claims 50 % higher protection factor.

Boy that hat is ugly.... regardless, I think I want one Image

They have lots of different patterns and it's easily the most wicking and evaporating hat I've tried. Next best thing to a bare head for keeping dry. Still moist on the inside in cool weather going up and down a ski jumping hill. Not bad at all considering the hat was dry on the out side.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby RS39 » Thu May 14, 2009 9:34 am

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___91215

Columbia Men's Omni-Shade Bora Bora Booney Hat
Item Number: 91215

I tried the adult version of this last night at a local store:
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___78173
But did not want the narrow and low mesh vent. I want the breezy lid above.

The brim is not floppy, not stiff, so it should not crease when abused, and still bend back in hard wind instead of lifting off. Size is set by an elastic draw cord with a cinch in back. So you can get it 'just' the way you want it sized/snug.

UPDATE 6/3- the hat is mighty fine :)
Last edited by RS39 on Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jokeri, Wasp, Fuse, Timberwolf, PD, Predator
RS39
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Earthless@Roadburn

Postby Eric » Wed May 20, 2009 11:48 pm

I wear a breezer. The hat is awesome for sun, rain, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Henschel%C2%AE-Br ... 439&sr=8-1

The downside is that my wife busts out laughing when she sees me in it, starts cracking wise, and pointing and stuff. It's still worth it - hat rocks, even has a sweatband in it. Hat runs a tad small so you might want to go one size up from normal. Not sure, but if you have any baldness kicking up on the dome, you might not like it for sunwear.
Things that fly, or mostly fly.
Eric
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Smiley Face!

Postby JR » Thu May 21, 2009 4:27 am

Eric wrote:I wear a breezer. The hat is awesome for sun, rain, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Henschel%C2%AE-Br ... 439&sr=8-1

The downside is that my wife busts out laughing when she sees me in it, starts cracking wise, and pointing and stuff. It's still worth it - hat rocks, even has a sweatband in it. Hat runs a tad small so you might want to go one size up from normal. Not sure, but if you have any baldness kicking up on the dome, you might not like it for sunwear.

That looks great for ventilation but it won't help much with crown shading I'm afraid. It was fairly cold today and got wet in the head even with the Buff Vizor Evo2 in field practice :-( This might be better for protecting the top of the head with some ventilation:
http://www.amazon.com/Stetson-Airway-Pa ... 00-9171419

Those linked hats gave me an idea to make tiny ventilation holes to my brimmed Columbia Omnishade. It's cheap and current experience shows that I'm hopelessly sweaty so snippety.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Timko » Thu May 21, 2009 8:00 am

jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby niuvalleycane » Thu May 21, 2009 7:48 pm

I rock this:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___77664

sun protection and good in rain also :)
niuvalleycane
Fairway Surgeon

Postby jw34 » Thu May 21, 2009 10:31 pm

Since I have a shaved head I have to wear a hat all the time. Nothing worse than burning your scalp. I've done every sort of boonie hat (floppie like in one of the previous posts) and find they work the best for shielding the sun. Depending on the material some breathe better than others. Light colors work better too. But even those hats don't block out all the sun but fortunately you can find them with SPF coatings.
I also find that the Coppertone Sport suntan lotion works great because it doesn't run into your face. I used to use it playing basektball all the time. The spray version is good for the face, just make sure you take your frickin' sunglasses off first. :wink:
jw34
Noob

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby GCSUbgeorge » Thu May 21, 2009 10:45 pm

I just wear a baseball cap. I play on a course that has nothing but college kids on it (I just graduated last year) and so wearing anything else would get me some weird looks....not to mention i am friends with 90% of the people who play there.
GCSUbgeorge
Noob

Favorite Disc: Innova

Postby Jaysus » Fri May 22, 2009 7:21 am

niuvalleycane wrote:I rock this:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___77664

sun protection and good in rain also :)

That's a great hat... too hot for me in the summer though.
Jaysus
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:59 am

I cut some holes to the sides of the crown and that Columbia brimmed hat became usable in hot (for Finland) weather. Not having a mesh offers some protection from the sun while providing nice ventilation. The catch was that there were a lot of gusts so it may not be that comfortable in calm hot weather.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

PreviousNext

Return to Disc Golf Body Gear