Homebrewers unite!

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Homebrewers unite!

Postby spitfire » Wed May 13, 2009 12:54 pm

bcsst26 wrote:Man bloomsburg is getting closer to pittsburgh every batch.

Yeah but when you come here you get closer to Eagle country :twisted:
spitfire
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: pro wraith

Postby spitfire » Wed May 13, 2009 12:55 pm

Forgot to mention. I have slowly been putting together my keezer. Today I picked up the remaining parts I needed. I got 2 5 gallon soda kegs, all connections and a 10# co2 tank that is still 3/4 full from the previous owner. All I have to do now is find time to put it all together. Once I do I will post some pics.
spitfire
Fairway Surgeon

Postby bcsst26 » Thu May 14, 2009 5:42 am

spitfire wrote:
bcsst26 wrote:Man bloomsburg is getting closer to pittsburgh every batch.

Yeah but when you come here you get closer to Eagle country :twisted:

Yeah but I don't mind the Eagles that much with them being in the NFC. Now the Flyers on the other hand.
"I do believe the sum extent of the messiness, disarrangement, disorder, and dirtiness of your room is equal to that of your brain." Johnny Cash
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby MrTasses » Fri May 15, 2009 1:37 pm

uNicedmeMan wrote:Thanks, that's probably what I'll do at this point as the guy selling the previous kit mentioned already sold it to someone else... :( I may just keep checking craigslist for a nice deal.

Nice! A future Bmore homebrewer.

One thing to keep in mind is that all "soft plastics" like Ale Pails, tubing, spigots, etc. are the things you want to replace on a semi-regular basis. The plastics scratch, just like a beaten in disc, and those scratches can harbor contaminating organisms. Saving $10-20 on your kit just doesn't make sense if it contaminates $30 worth of ingredients.

Things to buy used: Kettles, glass carboys, cappers, kegs, gas tanks, wort chillers, and other durable items.

Avoid used: Plastics buckets, transfer tubing, and other soft items. Besides, they are relatively cheap.

Check out Maryland Homebrew in Columbia, MD to buy plastic gear. They've always taken care of me. http://www.mdhb.com/
MrTasses
Tree Magnet

Postby MrTasses » Fri May 15, 2009 1:41 pm

The obligatory status post:

Upcoming brew: Summit 15-minute IPA

In Bottles/my belly: English Mild #1, English Mild #2, Amarillo 15-minute IPA
MrTasses
Tree Magnet

Postby spitfire » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:21 pm

So anybody jump into brewing yet? I know I talked to a few people who were thinking of jumping in......did ya?

My status report.
My Vanilla Coffee Porter has been in the keg for 3 weeks and it's almost gone :o
Man this stuff is good, I just hope I can brew it the same again as it was an extract kit with my additions to it. I think next time I am going to make it into a Stout

On Friday I kegged a liberty Cream Ale which should be ready to drink tonight. Turned into a nice summer brew.

I just finished up this weekend making my 10 gallon round mash tun so my next batch will be a Partial Mash.....1 step closer to all grain :D

I just placed my order for
7# 2 row malt
1# Crystal 40L
1 oz Simcoe Hops
1 oz Warrior Hops
and I already have 2 oz hops of Cascade
I also ordered Wyeast 1056

All this is going to be used to make a clone of Dogfish head 60 min IPA

Can't wait
spitfire
Fairway Surgeon

Postby spitfire » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:22 pm

Now I just need to sell some minis to help pay for all of it.
spitfire
Fairway Surgeon

Postby bcsst26 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:29 am

I haven't gotten into it yet but maybe when some extra money comes along I will jump in. It is a toss up right now between home brewing and getting a smoker.
"I do believe the sum extent of the messiness, disarrangement, disorder, and dirtiness of your room is equal to that of your brain." Johnny Cash
bcsst26
Tree Magnet

Postby NoLifeLeft » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:11 pm

Currently enjoying my IIPA (yes, 2 I's) on tap and just racked my Cherry Vanilla Wheat to secondary. Fallen back into brewing in a big way.
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: a whole bag of 'em

Postby shirfan » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:41 pm

I've got my Summer IPA in primary right now, but am already looking forward to pumpkin beer season, as it's easily my favorite to brew. :P

Also toying with a wild-assed saison idea that would incorporate nasturtium leaves. (A peppery-tasting edible flower that I cultivate).
shirfan
Noob

Postby NoLifeLeft » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:18 am

shirfan wrote:already looking forward to pumpkin beer season, as it's easily my favorite to brew. :P

I'm dying to make a pumpkin ale this fall. Do you use fresh or canned pumpkin?

BTW Shirfan, since you're a brewer in NY, do you go to the "Belgium Comes to Cooperstown" beer fest? I'll be there again this year.
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

Postby shirfan » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:39 pm

NoLifeLeft wrote:I'm dying to make a pumpkin ale this fall. Do you use fresh or canned pumpkin?

BTW Shirfan, since you're a brewer in NY, do you go to the "Belgium Comes to Cooperstown" beer fest? I'll be there again this year.

I've never made it to the Cooperstown festival, heard lots of good things about it though.

I use a fresh pie pumpkin, cut in half and baked until the flesh has just softened up. Then I scoop the pumpkin into the boil kettle (after steeping a bit of medium crystal malt).

I love hops, but for this beer only 1oz of willamette does the trick, split into 3 additions. Nutmeg and cinnamon to taste at flame-out.
shirfan
Noob

Postby gratefuldisc » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:15 pm

I really want to start brewing but my problem is lack of space. I live in a two bedroom apt with no closets, the only space I have to do this is the basement. Its a dirt basement in a 300 year old house on a field stone foundation. Temp is pretty stable, it's basically like a cave down there. Is this an acceptable place to brew?
The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter, either side of the hill. -Robert Hunter

Boss, Predator, OLF, OLS, JLS, QMS, Sentinel, Warlock
gratefuldisc
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: JLS

Postby spitfire » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:56 pm

You would brew in your kitchen and then you could ferment in the basement. Maybe put a piece of plywood on the floor or something to set the carboy/bucket on.
spitfire
Fairway Surgeon

Postby NoLifeLeft » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:31 pm

No matter where you store your equipment, you'll sanitizing the hell out of it any way. Seems like more than half of homebrewing is just cleaning.
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.