150 Lovers

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: 150 Lovers

Postby Eric » Sat May 16, 2009 8:17 am

Hi, 150 lovers.

Lots of affection for the 150 Leopard right now. Took my wife's purple one ( HUGE mistake! ) and buried it in the woods behind the throwing field. Yeah, I'm in trouble. But it felt REALLY good. Moral of the story is - don't fondle your wife's plastic.

Think the Sabre would have a ton of potential if I could find a light one. Do they even make one really light or would it get too wacky?

Are 150 discs good learning tools or is it better for development to stick with something heavier? Driving is, by far, the weakest part of my game.
Things that fly, or mostly fly.
Eric
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Smiley Face!

Postby dgdave » Sat May 16, 2009 8:25 am

They do make Sabres light. I've had some down to 125g.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby Eric » Sat May 16, 2009 8:53 am

Oh, cool!

Thanks, DG Dave - I'll keep looking. :)
Things that fly, or mostly fly.
Eric
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Smiley Face!

Postby black udder » Sat May 16, 2009 10:16 am

Eric wrote:Hi, 150 lovers.

Lots of affection for the 150 Leopard right now. Took my wife's purple one ( HUGE mistake! ) and buried it in the woods behind the throwing field. Yeah, I'm in trouble. But it felt REALLY good. Moral of the story is - don't fondle your wife's plastic.

Think the Sabre would have a ton of potential if I could find a light one. Do they even make one really light or would it get too wacky?

Are 150 discs good learning tools or is it better for development to stick with something heavier? Driving is, by far, the weakest part of my game.

It's a catch 22 with low weight discs and driving. Your form has to be good to benefit the most from them, but you can get more distance out of them when you start. With a smooth throw, a 150g valk or sidewinder will go a long way. They enable you to throw with less physical force for reasonable distance.

If you have off axis torque or try and power them though, they'll just flip and roll.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby SkaBob » Tue May 19, 2009 8:02 pm

marmoset wrote:X Surge
Weak plastic, loooong flights, and quite a bit more understable than I wanted. I'm still trying to figure out if that's just my form.

Totally with you on the weak plastic comment. I've found the odd REAL Elite-X ones from time to time, mostly misprints...THOSE are decent.

They're pretty understable, but I was using them for laser straight distance throws when I was still throwing all 150...Now, I throw ESP Flicks because I can put more on them and make them do more things...
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby marmoset » Mon May 25, 2009 8:24 am

I have played an open course several times recently and adjusted my 150 bag

core molds
DX Rhyno- Putting and driving
DX Aviar- Putting and driving. I should probably pick between one of these 2 putter molds.
DX Roc- Looooong! I have 3; 2 brand new and one that I just can't seem to break in. Stupid durable mold.
DX Gazelle- My go to driver. I'm thinking about auditioning Star, Champ Leo and M/Q/SJLS for this slot. We'll see.
M/QOLF- Perfect stablility for my tastes.

specialty molds that rarely ever get used
DX Banshee- For overstable stuff. Not quite as overstable as I'd like but it is close.
Champ Firebird- Should be here tomorrow. I am audtioning this against the DX Banshee.
Star Sidewinder- Low and straight shots, standstill shots, rollers.
Champ Leo- understable gummy goodness... in the bag until I break in a GZ. Unless I replace GZs with Leos (somewhat unlikely.)
DX/Champ Teebird- Shots that require TB goodness and occasional max D.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby marmoset » Mon May 25, 2009 8:53 am

Has anyone ever seen a non-gummy 150 Champ Leopard or TB?
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby domromer » Mon May 25, 2009 11:43 am

Tried out my wifes 150g XL today. I was amazed how far it flew. It might need to borrow it another day. It was really sweet for some super steep uphill shots that I usually struggle with.
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby marmoset » Mon May 25, 2009 1:27 pm

Did you throw the XL into any headwinds? Just wondering how it fared...
I know SkaBob would throw it into a headwind but I get this sneaking suspicion that he'd kick my hiney if we were playing in the wind. Or even if the wind weren't blowing, for that matter.
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby domromer » Mon May 25, 2009 1:45 pm

marmoset wrote:Did you throw the XL into any headwinds? Just wondering how it fared...
I know SkaBob would throw it into a headwind but I get this sneaking suspicion that he'd kick my hiney if we were playing in the wind. Or even if the wind weren't blowing, for that matter.

No we are deep in the woods here. It's rare to play a windy round.
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

domromer
Plastic Fondler

Postby SkaBob » Mon May 25, 2009 2:49 pm

marmoset wrote:Did you throw the XL into any headwinds? Just wondering how it fared...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I COULD throw it in a wind, but not far (I'd be powering it down to midrange distance)...It's not HORRIBLE in a light wind, but once you get up to about 10mph or so it'd be better to disc up to the 150 Avenger, Flick or Talon...
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby domromer » Mon May 25, 2009 3:25 pm

I think putting together a 150 bag is just the excuse I need to buy a whole slew of new discs. I'll have to thoroughly read this thread and get all the info on throwing 150s.

domromer
Plastic Fondler

Postby marmoset » Mon May 25, 2009 6:10 pm

domromer wrote:...putting together a 150 bag is just the excuse I need to buy a whole slew of new discs...

There ya go. That's the real reason I'm doing it!
150 is definitely worth a fling. I am keeping my 150 bag around for the next forseeable future.
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby domromer » Mon May 25, 2009 6:27 pm

marmoset wrote:
domromer wrote:...putting together a 150 bag is just the excuse I need to buy a whole slew of new discs...

There ya go. That's the real reason I'm doing it!
150 is definitely worth a fling. I am keeping my 150 bag around for the next forseeable future.

Any excuse will do really. I've had the same bag now for about 3 years. The latest disc I added was the comet and before that it was when the Wizards first came out. I'm in one of those phases where I want to try out all kinds of different discs. Mostly I keep wanting to try Discrafts stuff. I've always been pretty partial to Innova but I seem to really like a lot of the stuff the big D is making. That and I've thrown JLS from the beginning so I'm thinking of trying Millenniums latest and greatest.

domromer
Plastic Fondler

Postby JimW » Wed May 27, 2009 6:06 pm

Decided to grab a couple 150s today to see if I could get a bit of extra distance from them (I'm only throwing 230-250 with my mid-160s Gazelles). Grabbed a DX Valk and MJLS, the JLS because the store didn't have any 150 Gazelles in stock. I had some trouble adjusting to throwing the lighter weights but did have a couple of nice throws with the Valkyrie, I think I'll like that a lot for open holes. The JLS though I struggled with, it was usually either a weak hyzer or a turnover, I couldn't keep it from flipping without having to take too much off of it.

My question is, is the JLS an especially flippy disc in 150 like the Leopard is? If so then I'll probably go back to the store soon and pick up an Eagle or XL, but if the turnover proneness is my fault (which is extremely possible) then I'll stick with it.
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment