Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Discraft Banger GT

Postby Smyith » Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:13 pm

has anyone tried this putter?
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:38 am

yes.

it flies a lot like a wizard and has a similar shape/bead but also has a groove track on the top. depth is about the same as a #2 upshot (deeper than a classic roc, shallower than an aviar).

it is high speed stable and slightly low speed overstable. i rated it HSS: 0 LSS: +2. it is slightly straighter than a challenger, although slightly less high speed stable and it fades slightly less and later in its flight, but the difference wasn't enough to separate it from the other 0/2 discs.

i was pleasantly surprised by it.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Supermau » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:00 am

I've thrown mine a bit in the back yard and on a short-course practice round. I like it but I can't say it's blown me away. I think I like if more as an approach/short driver than a putter. I bought it and a Polecat at the same time, and I like the Polecat much better as a putter.

I've been using Aviar P$A's forever and I still think their among the best all around golf discs. Then I tried the SS Wizard (nice) and an Aerobie Arrow (not bad). So far the Polecat has become my putter of choice. It seems to leave my hand cleaner and more accurately than any of these others. I'm making more putts with it. I don't know why that is but I'm not complaining!
Supermau
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:45 pm

the polecat is a slower and "floatier" type of putter and better suited towards finesse putters.

it was my first putter and i failed miserably with it :) (the elite pro apx was the first putter i succeeded with).

generally, if you take a more aggressive line you will tilt towards more stable putters.

i would say about 70% of the putters out there cater more towards a finesse style but very few of them are able to fly 250+ without turning.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby mkpowers » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:59 pm

my first putter was a Champion Aviar, and I failed miserably with that. I sold it to a disc golf buddy of mine for $10 and got a new DX Aviar P&A. I changed around my technique, and now I make the vast majority of my putts from 15-20'.
mkpowers
Noob

Postby TexasOutlaw » Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:59 am

I've been throwing the banger gt, and it works well for me. I haven't really tried it in high wind, which would be the determining factor whether it replaces my wizard.

I think I like my wizard a bit better, but I carry them both for now.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:02 pm

Ive heard its great for approaches.
I love it for putting. I like the thumbtrack more than the innova style.
Its also the only putter that feels natural sidearm (trick shots)
Its my best long putter by far.
I strattle putt insider approx 30' and pitch arm go for it putt and approach from inside 100' minimal fade for how high its tendancy to turn is.
It does tend to bounce out with some of my strattle putts so i believe I am going to switch back to something softer for some of these shorter putts. oddly the longer more powerful putts tend to spit less often than my other discs.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Fritz » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:17 pm

Great driving putter, and was a really nice approach shot, almsot got me a couple 100'+ birdies with it. Very predictable. Wasn't too shabby int eh wind either.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:35 pm

Fritz wrote:Great driving putter, and was a really nice approach shot, almsot got me a couple 100'+ birdies with it. Very predictable. Wasn't too shabby int eh wind either.

I am currently alternating between the banger and wizard; I can't decide which I like better. Seems that the wizard is a touch more overstable, making it more windy day friendly.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Solty » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:26 pm

used the banger gt this weekend. rotated as well with my e-wizard. its a toss-up between the two. i still use my e-wiz for more technical putts...but on an approach and a straightup putt under 25 ft...same results

mike
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:33 pm

My banger has worn slighly over the last two months (even though its been bounced off its share of trees its holding much better than any other Pro D plastic ive tried may just be the blunt eadge, but it seems like more) Its still money on longer putts, and i plan on buying a couple more for practice and to wear them in slower. Im loving it for drives, its now reached the consistancy I had with my wizard on 250' and in. I accually nailed a 45 pace (Estimated 120') "Go for it" approach today, and these kind of shots are coming more any more often as i learn this disc.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:23 pm

Thatdirtykid wrote:but it seems like more) Its still money on longer putts,

Im loving it for drives, its now reached the consistancy I had with my wizard on 250' and in..

I am of the opposite persuation: I like the banger for shorter putts and the wizard for longer putts and approaches.

Still, I agree that it is a great disc. I'm hoping to make a decision between them, so that I can stock up either on the black banger or midnight wizard.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:51 pm

I have offically made the decision to stick to bangers, I can now drive with them as well as I ever could with a wizard, and my short game is much better with the banger. The lower profile rim of the banger gives me a more consistant release over the wizard on drives, upshots, jump putts (a new one for me, am liking it in the 50-100 foot range), long putts and putts.
(the only complaint in comparing it to the wizard is as the banger wears its ever so slightly more likely to turn than a wizard worn to the same degree but not enough to make me want to carry two molds)
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby TexasOutlaw » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:07 pm

Thatdirtykid wrote:.
(the only complaint in comparing it to the wizard is as the banger wears its ever so slightly more likely to turn than a wizard worn to the same degree but not enough to make me want to carry two molds)

Yes, the wizard is more resilient than the pro d banger. Or maybe I've used the banger more. Regardless, it's a good dilemna to have, deciding between two quality discs/molds.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Solty » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:45 pm

just got in from two rounds. the threw my banger the 1st round on hole 7 for a 200 drive....very low ceiling....i ended up pullin it to the rip and hit a tree about 30 feet out....INSTANT taco. After being all bummed out, i just put in the bag and used my e-wiz the rest of round. after a 20 minute break...a bunch of us looked at the disc and even tho it has a white bend section....i decided to give it a try on my upshot the next round. i'm happy to say it still holds a nice straight line and even used it two holes for an anhyer upshots. im surprised that it still flies with the pounding it took.
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Next

Return to Equipment