Enhancing disc flight for new discs.

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Enhancing disc flight for new discs.

Postby calvarycoffee » Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:34 am

What are your methods of tweaking new discs?

I'm not talking about illegal disc manipulation, just what you do to speed up the breaking in time.

anyone tried leaving discs in sunlight or soaking them in water (or any chemicals)? running over them with their car? bending repeadedly? ect.

i have thrown a CE dragon into a wall repeadedly to break it in. but now it flies like a paper plate (way understable).

I have an elite XS that i found, it is weathered pretty well, and it flies great.

How do you break in new discs, especially the priemium plastics?
Do not resist chances. . . and there will be one less thing you cannot do -ACG
calvarycoffee
Tree Magnet

Postby Weebl » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:17 am

taking a walk and just flinging it sidearm (so i dont have to use a lot of power to get a good snap) and having it skip/skid across the (preferably semi-smooth) pavement. If it's premium plastic, i put a circular weight ontop of the disc, which is resting on concrete (the smoother, the better) and hold 2 opposite sides of the rim and without pushing down, move it in a circular motion. This is to make sure I get even wear, every 5 seconds worth of rubbing, i try the disc out and throw it, if it needs more breaking in I'll titrate. I also usually try to aim to wear it in enough so that it's almost where I want, then i take the disc and use 1000 grit sandpaper (wetsanding) and smooth the ground-down area. This usually works well for me.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby TexasOutlaw » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:32 pm

Blake gave me this suggestion. Play an entire round with only that disc. Really, the way I hit obstacles, I don't worry about it.

If it is D or pro D plastic, some people just flex it in their hands (some call it tacoing the disc). With my s demon, I was told that it gains distance as it ages to throw it into a tree a few times. But, I knocked out a huge chunk on my second hit. It's one thing to hit a tree during a disc throw and damage a disc, but to do it on purpose? It was hard for me to justify.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Return to General Discussion