LED Lights for glow golf

A place where people can buy, sell, and trade disc golf equipment. Trade at your own risk.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby garublador » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:49 am

swel304 wrote:It could be done with a small 555 timer IC chip and a resistor or two.

Well, three resistors and one but preferably two capacitors. I'm actually working with a 555 timer at work right now.

If you really wanted to get fancy, you could add another resistor and different colored LED and have it alternate colors.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby swel304 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:55 am

I saw some flexible led tubes for like motorcycles and stuff on ebay that have preset patterns and whatnot, that may work too.
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby kvanorsdel » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:05 am

Could these EL wires be used for something like this

http://www.thatscoolwire.com/store/category.asp?CategoryID=168
kvanorsdel
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Glock23 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:28 am

Maybe...I wonder how bright it is, and how you could attach it.
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Live near Ohio and need a new or used car? Send me a PM!
Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beaver

Postby superq » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:32 am

do you have a solution for attaching the lights you made to the disc without holes?

I like to use the discs I play with every day for night rounds and as small as the hole would be, I am not going to intentionally ruin a disc to install a light. Right now I use the chem light sticks or the led bobber lights and tape them to the top. would I be able to do the same with what you have put together?

If so hit me with a PM with your paypal adress and I will send you the duckets for three of them to start off.
superq
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FOCUS

Postby Glock23 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:01 pm

Yeah you can just tape the setup to the top or bottom of the disc. I sent you a PM.
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Weebl » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:09 pm

superq wrote:do you have a solution for attaching the lights you made to the disc without holes?

I like to use the discs I play with every day for night rounds and as small as the hole would be, I am not going to intentionally ruin a disc to install a light. Right now I use the chem light sticks or the led bobber lights and tape them to the top. would I be able to do the same with what you have put together?

If so hit me with a PM with your paypal adress and I will send you the duckets for three of them to start off.

I'm with superQ on this one. I'd like to see a picture of the entire light rig to see how obtuse it would be.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby superq » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:13 am

mr. glock is sending me supplies I will post some links to pics when I have a minute, I assume I will get the stuff this weekend and spend some time sunday going mad scientist in the garage.
superq
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FOCUS

Postby redspexxx » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:05 am

how big is the hole you have to make on the disc? can you take a pic of that?
redspexxx
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Glock23 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:55 am

The hole is very small. I use a tiny needle to make the hole, and once you remove the light, you can't even tell it was there. I will take some pictures of everything tonight. I hate being at work :roll:
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:28 pm

Glock23 wrote: I hate being at work :roll:

because all I have time for is the internet... ;-)
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby swel304 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:07 pm

Got my stuff and put some together. These things are so bright I wont need to carry a flashlight :lol: the camera on my phone sucks but here some pics anyway.

this one I made with the big led's in a 1 liter water bottle lid. One of the lights does not work (I need another blue). I didnt have an extra mini switch to put in it but there is plenty of room for an on/off and circuitry if you want to get fancy and make them flash.

this one I made with the tiny led's in a 20 oz lid. it has the micro switch and is sealed with silicon. Slightly lower profile and definitly smaller, the light still seems more than adequate though.

you could easily get 8 lights into a cap, but the more lights the less the batteries will last, though it should still be quite a while.
Wizard-Buzz-PolarisLS-Valkyrie-Wraith-BlizzKatana

http://www.XTREMEairbrush.com
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Glock23 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:40 am

If you need more blues I can send them to you. My test LED is still going, more than 4 weeks on one battery!!! I like the design too, nice job swel! Do you like the 5 or 10mm lights better? I may put in another order for green and white leds, and was trying to decide which size to go with. How long did it take you to put that together, and how are you mounting it on the top of the disc?
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Postby swel304 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:31 pm

I think the 10mm blues put off the best light of what you sent me. Whites would probly work really well too. They all put out plenty of light though. If you want any more discs I have up let me know. I will trade you for batteries and 10mm blues. I know as soon as the guys that play late on wed. see them they will all want one so we can play after dark. If the single test led is still going at 4 weeks then I am definitly going to start putting 8 in each unit. Of the 3 I have put together so far the hardest part seems to be getting a solid connection on the battery that doesnt screw up after a few good hits. some button cell clips would be great.

edit:
the first one took a while but the second two maybe 15-20 min each. After the led's are in there is not enough thread left to screw it onto the bottle top so I am just sealing the open end of the cap with a flat piece from the bottle and melting a little hole in it so you can reach the switch with a pencil tip or keys or something. it gives you a nice flat surface on the back to use two sided tape to attach it to the disc. the heavy duty two sided tape works pretty good but Im guessing it could still come off. I may make one for my glow Z MRV that has a hole for the switch on the side so I can permanantly superglue it to the disc.
Wizard-Buzz-PolarisLS-Valkyrie-Wraith-BlizzKatana

http://www.XTREMEairbrush.com
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Glock23 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:24 pm

8 would be so bright! The nice thing is they hardly weigh anything too. As far as a sild connection with your design, the clips would work. You could also soder the leads to the battery, but be VERY careful as lithium can be very reactive, and once it combusts is hard to put out. I wonder if you could use heat shrink, if that would form a tight enough bond?

If you have the on/off switch, they should last at least 100 hours I would guess, I am not sure how much more juice the 8 would pull. I can test it though, and let you know.

As far as a trade goes, I am interested in the wildcat, but could probably find more depending on how many batteries ect you want. Just send me a pm with how much stuff you need. I still have 10mm blue and reds, and 5mm reds. And plenty of the 2032 batteries.
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

PreviousNext

Return to Buy/Sell/Trade