More midrange questions

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

More midrange questions

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:46 pm

I currently throw the midnight buzz, ace race glide, and s demon for my midrange discs.

z glide - stable to understable shots
midnight buzz - stable shots, hyzers, annhyzers,etc.
s demon - hard hyzers and heavy headwind

Really, I only use the demon for windy days and getting around obstacles. My question is: should I add a wasp to the mix for non-windy or maybe even some windy day throws? Or, will throwing the buzz with hyzer be adequate?

The reason I ask is that players have told me that if I like the buzz, I should also carry a wasp. I know the buzz is a retooled wasp, but do I ideally need one of each?
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:44 pm

I recently considered the Wasp for the overstable midrange spot in my bag, for me throwing a buzzz with hyzer satisfied most spots the wasp was competeing for (light headwind, med long left turn shots), while My x and z cyclones can easily handle the other spots the wasp was competeing for (headwind midrange, hard fade midrange shots, long hyzers). The wasp just seemed to be between my buzzzes and cyclones (which already had similar roles in my bag) rendering the wasp useless in my bag.

Keep in mind I throw both Z and X (and looking for D) buzzes, and X and Z Cyclones, which is alot more variety to throwing just one buzzz and one cyclone.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby TexasOutlaw » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:58 am

Thanks for the advice. Really, I only need something overstable for headwinds. I can always put a little hyzer on my buzz to make it go left. I'm also looking for a D buzz in max weight.

What do you think of replacing my z glide with a beat d buzz (if I can find one)?
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:55 am

thats something ive been considering myself, I dont think that it would have the same carry that ive been using my z glide for
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby presidio hills » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:37 pm

TexasOutlaw wrote:What do you think of replacing my z glide with a beat d buzz (if I can find one)?

i'm my opinion it's useful to have a midrange that's super flippy, like a very beat in D plastic buzz. something i could spike anhyzer over a tree, start with hyzer and finish turning understable within only 150', a pop putt style approach and have it turn around a bush or something... i feel like the glide is a great driver and a great longer approach disc, but for the short tricky shots i need something that's like the mirror image of my super overstable midrange (for me a champ gator, for you the s demon). i use a really old ontario roc, or dx stingray... for this spot. just my 2 cents.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby TexasOutlaw » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:04 pm

You make a good point. Though the z glide is understable, it is a longer disc than a d buzz. I probably want one of each.

Now a question about weight. I was thinking max weight in case I use it to putt with on heavy wind days.

But, if I'm breaking it in for a turn over disc, do I want a lighter weight? Maybe a 172?

Again, any advice is appreciated.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:00 pm

makes sense to have a shorter understable midrange, but I tend to use putters for super understable throws.

For weights, remeber a lighter disc is easier to turn, but is more likely to come back at the end than a heavier disc thats been turned. I think you would be good throwing anywhere in between. For midrange putting in wind, They get alot of lift, and while heavier would be better than lighter, I still perfer a putter.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby garublador » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:58 am

I have an S Demon in my bag and I think I use it more for short sidearm shots than anythign else. Anytime I need a sharp right turn (I'm right handed) I'll flick my Demon rather than trying to get a sharp anhyzer out of a putter or throwing a putter sidearm. I find it to be very predictable and it opens up a lot of options for easy shots when you're within 200'.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:25 am

garublador wrote:I have an S Demon in my bag and I think I use it more for short sidearm shots than anythign else. Anytime I need a sharp right turn (I'm right handed) I'll flick my Demon rather than trying to get a sharp anhyzer out of a putter or throwing a putter sidearm. I find it to be very predictable and it opens up a lot of options for easy shots when you're within 200'.

The demon is an interesting critter. It seems absurdly short yet cuts hard left. For the wind, I have tried nothing better. Also, it is great for getting around obstacles.

It seems to get longer the more you throw it, not like a regular disc that gets slightly more distance. The distance it gains is greater than your average disc. Still, I only carry it when it's windy, which is why I was debating throwing a wasp into the bag as well.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby presidio hills » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:44 pm

TexasOutlaw wrote:The demon is an interesting critter. It seems absurdly short yet cuts hard left. For the wind, I have tried nothing better. Also, it is great for getting around obstacles.

i'm with you two. i find these types of shots on approaches very predictable. you have to worry about gliding off an extra 5-20' much much less. i use my champion gator, which is very similar, i think. personally, i like the fact it has such a small amount of glide. i think the demon is the same. have you folks tried throwing E demons yet? seems like a good disc for durable plastic.
i run on lazer beans
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:53 pm

presidio hills wrote:[. have you folks tried throwing E demons yet? seems like a good disc for durable plastic.

It exists? I was told that demons were one of those (like the drone and venom) that could not be made in that type of plastic due to weight restrictions.

You're not thinking of the speed demon are you? They are completely different discs.

The gator, huh? I haven't tried one of those yet. Is it better than a wasp?
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:10 pm

The gator is a bit slower and shorter than the wasp, and a bit more LSS
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby krusen » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:44 am

I use max wt. Z Wasps for my overstable mid range,
For stable mid range I use a seasoned 168 X Wasp, or a midnight Buzz.
For understable I use a beat D Hawk or a beat168 D Buzz.
All these discs are very similar, yet the differences in weight and plastic add enough stability difference to round out the set. Similar to how Blake reccommends using 3 Rocs of varied beatedness, I feel this adds consistency to my game.

I was thinking about a demon, drone, or gator instead of the Z wasp, but from what I read here, that would be more of a specialty disc than my wasp currently is.

Just bought 2 slightly used max wt. Z wasps on ebay for $18 shipped. woohoo!!
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Postby garublador » Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:48 am

krusen wrote:I was thinking about a demon, drone, or gator instead of the Z wasp, but from what I read here, that would be more of a specialty disc than my wasp currently is.

I'd agree with that. I haven't thrown a Z Wasp, but from what I understand it's a decently overstable midrange. In calm conditions my S Demon is easily the shortest disc in my bag because of how overstable it is. It's called a midrange driver, but I haven't been able to get midrange type distances out of it.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Blake_T » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:05 am

discs like the z wasp, gator and sentinel are like more overstable rocs.

discs like the demon and drone are more like blunt whippets/xtremes.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Return to Equipment