150 Lovers

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: 150 Lovers

Postby marmoset » Wed May 27, 2009 8:04 pm

Even without seeing your form I'd say it is 95% likely to be your fault. There's always a possibility you could have gotten a freak disc.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby JimW » Wed May 27, 2009 8:36 pm

Probably :lol:

I guess a better way of phrasing the question I'm trying to ask is: Is a 150g JLS as flippy as a 150g Leopard?
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

Postby domromer » Wed May 27, 2009 8:37 pm

JLS are kinda flippy. I've never thrown a 150JLS but I imagine it would be pretty easy to turn over. That being said I had no problem with my wife's 150XL and that mold is considered almost identical to the JLS.
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby SkaBob » Wed May 27, 2009 9:14 pm

Were you throwing it like a driver? If so, that's the problem. You need to throw it like a putter, but with even softer grip.
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby marmoset » Thu May 28, 2009 5:54 am

150 JLS should be a little more HSS than a Leopard in equivalent plastic.
They don't make 150 Pro Leopards so the closest comparison is probably going to be an unusually-stable and new DX Leo. But the Leo will break in waaaay faster and flippier.

I'd say stick with the JLS and make it work.

SkaBob is right. You can't muscle these.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby JimW » Thu May 28, 2009 12:15 pm

Ok, thanks, that's what I needed to know. Mainly I'm looking for something that I can use when I want to throw a non-incompetent golf round with some extra distance (as opposed to rounds where I'm trying to tweak my form or implement changes) so I didn't want to be trying to work with a disc that will be super flippy unless you get it just right. I was planning a field session after work today anyway so hopefully I can get the right torque amount figured out.

JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Postby marmoset » Thu May 28, 2009 2:04 pm

I see you throw GZs. 150 GZs should give you what you want... I know you said you tried to get some. Keep looking.

Having said that, I am thinking about auditioning My 150 GZs with some JLSs.
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby tim » Thu May 28, 2009 3:59 pm

One hole this past weekend in warmup, I threw the 150g Star Teebird in my bag, in comparison with several other discs. Hole is about 320' out a gap, across a small valley and finishes uphill. Best shot I had was with the light Teebird. Parked the hole without much effort. Tried three other teebirds, and flicks with a Boss and Destroyer and the 150 was the closest to the pin and the easiest to put there. Didn't trust it enough to throw in the actual round, due to inexperience, but I was very impressed. Plan to spend some more time with it on the course in the future. It might make me a convert.

In the past (and still) I've been a huge fan of Champ Teebirds in the low 160s...
Flick long and prosper.
VP/Wizard | Roc/Buzz | Firebird | Teebird | Destroyer
Vibram Putter tester -- feel free to ask me any questions.
tim
2009 DGR Donator

Postby black udder » Fri May 29, 2009 10:34 am

that star teebird @ 150g can be a workhorse in all conditions but heavy wind and max distance. You can throw it for max D, but you're going to get something that turns over more than you'd like. You can throw it in wind, but in headwinds, you probably have better options. If you can read winds well, then it'll fly well in any other wind condition.

On wooded courses, it's a great disc because, as you said, you don't need a lot of effort to get it out there (compared to a heavier one) and as it breaks in, it's a fantastic hyzer flip disc, just like it's heavier counterparts. The more you throw it the more you'll trust it :)
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby JimW » Fri May 29, 2009 8:07 pm

Started to make some progress with the 150s tonight. Had some nice stuff with the JLS, sailed a little high from nose up but I was getting it straight most of the time. My favorite shot of the night, though not something that I actually want to do normally on drives, was a throw with the Valkyrie that went around 235 feet without getting more than 4 feet off the ground.

JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Postby marmoset » Sat May 30, 2009 7:45 pm

It has already been said, but...

150 *Sidewinder, 300+ feet, super easy throw.
standstill
no muscle
all technique

With some practice I can see this thing BOMBING.

I don't even have that great of technique. "If I can do it then you can do it."
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby domromer » Sat May 30, 2009 8:16 pm

I need to get a 150JLS and a 150 something super stupid fast that I can't usually throw, maybe a boss or something. I'd like to finally try the latest greatest fast disc.
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby marmoset » Sat May 30, 2009 8:32 pm

I agree domromer...
JLS, Leopard, *EX are my next acquisitions.
Any input on plastics for the JLS?
I am thinking of going Q. I really like my GZs but the blend of the ones I have is kinda weak. I am thinking maybe a QJ will fly similar to my somewhat broken-in DX GZ. I know it won't be as good in the wind but I have other discs for that.

Super fast discs are still on my out list. Yeah I might be able to get them up to cruising speed now but I still find them too nose angle sensitive for my tastes. Maybe when I get my form "nailed down"...
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby marmoset » Sat May 30, 2009 8:35 pm

If the OLS is just a Sidewinder with a nose spacer then that might be on my WTB list too. Imagining my *Sidewinder with more a little extra stability makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby black udder » Sat May 30, 2009 8:49 pm

domromer wrote:I need to get a 150JLS and a 150 something super stupid fast that I can't usually throw, maybe a boss or something. I'd like to finally try the latest greatest fast disc.

I've got a 150g Teerex and 164g Boss as well as the 150g Flick and just because they're 150g doesn't mean they're easier to throw. They're still really overstable and nose sensitive. In my opinion, the 150g stuff is best for the fairway type drivers where you crave accuracy. That way, with less than full effort, you can get similar results as a heavier disc and not have to focus so much on power.

I have a 150g SOLF that's nice, but if you really try and throw it for distance, it gets away from the "ease" of the throw and accuracy.

The Boss, if thrown like a low weight disc is super overstable and if thrown for power/distance, then it's similar to what the heavier weights do. Problem is, if you can't throw the heavier ones, the lighter ones won't do anything extra for you (that I've seen), they'll just be less worthwhile in windier situations when you could reach for them in the heavier weights.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment