0%
X Buzzz
7%
I plead the 5th...
9%

Total votes : 300

Re: What's your Buzzz of choice?

Postby ChUcK » Thu May 28, 2009 4:56 pm

14 choices may seem like a bit much, but if you compiled a Roc list as comprehensive a list as the buzzz list is, it would be longer than Gene Simmons' tongue.

Also, I think the poll would be more representative of the true taste in buzzz plastics if the poll allowed 2 or three choices, not just one. Many of us throw numerous buzzzes (FLX, ESP, and old production Z for me) so a better percentage would emerge.

I forget exactly what the guy said above, but there's truth to the desire for a roc-like disc in premium plastic for cheap. That's what I consider my wasp to be. I'd buy a ton of them if there was ever any need, but I'm still working on my first one (~2 yrs) with a single backup waiting to go if coach ever puts him in the game. For now all he sees is late 4th quarter action to stay limber.

New poll!
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby MandShowI » Thu May 28, 2009 5:13 pm

what..no crystal ss?..guess i might have to vote for a D-Buzzz in spite.. :twisted:
MandShowI
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Champ Orc/Any Buzzz

Postby Redisculous » Thu May 28, 2009 8:57 pm

I throw the new Z's cos I'm a newb and it doesn't really matter which one I throw cos I can't tell the difference :D
Anode | Comet | Axis |Vector | PPD | SPD | CPD
Redisculous
Fairway Surgeon

Location: Southern Wisconsin, where the best courses are in Illinois!
Favorite Disc: Axis

Postby J-Man » Thu May 28, 2009 9:23 pm

Gimme the Pro D, but tourney stamped please.
J
Team Oregon Ambassador@Large
J-Man
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jw34 » Thu May 28, 2009 10:04 pm

I happened to see both the previous Z version/stamp and the newest Z version/stamp at a local store. Interesting how much more dome there was on the new stamp version. But the one I just bought is just as flat as my FLX. Weird.
jw34
Noob

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby erb » Thu May 28, 2009 10:56 pm

what's the Z buzzz with "BUZZZ" in big letters in the middle, without the big Circle like the discraft.com shows?

How about the Z buzzz with nothing in the middle and "Discraft Buzzz" at the top and ".5 mid range driver" at the bottom?

I have to say since I'm learning to throw with my non-dominate hand the buzzz is a very good disc. It is very forgiving for an unskilled arm, It's a great "crutch". I have not been able to throw a roc lefty consistently yet.

But before you Buzzzheads get all riled up for thinking i called your arm less skilled. It can also be used by the skilled arms with great performance. I've seen a lot a good players carve up a hole with a buzzz.

This bigger range in throwers arm skill is one area i give the buzzz the nod vs. rocs.
erb
Tree Magnet

Postby Eric » Fri May 29, 2009 5:46 am

Like the X-buzzz. Good disc that doesn't make the boys clench up when I think about tossing it across/near a pit-o-doooom.

Are the buzzz in pro-D now more durable and worth getting, or do they still beat to all heck?
Things that fly, or mostly fly.
Eric
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Smiley Face!

Postby black udder » Fri May 29, 2009 6:39 am

I guess I know who'll be crying now when Pro D, X & Z get dumped from production in favor of ESP & FLX (no I haven't heard that, just saying). I can't believe how many people throw the ESP & FLX. I just didn't care for either one of them compared to the others. Oh well.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby discspeed » Fri May 29, 2009 7:34 am

black udder wrote:I guess I know who'll be crying now when Pro D, X & Z get dumped from production in favor of ESP & FLX (no I haven't heard that, just saying). I can't believe how many people throw the ESP & FLX. I just didn't care for either one of them compared to the others. Oh well.

Something about the FLX Buzzz really appeals to beginners. I've known many people who liked the FLX first, only to move on as they improve their form. I too threw the FLX for awhile when it came out. It has great grip and medium speed stability, but is overstable at low speeds and gets too understable at high speeds. This makes for a "squirrely" Buzzz when you put any kind of power on it.

The ESPs fly like broken in Zs out of the box, but are a bit faster imo. This makes the HSS a little touchier than the Z. Good disc for people who prefer a hyzer release.

The Pro D Buzzz is one of my least favorites. Brand new Z vs. D on a 300' straight shot: Thrown exactly the same (I took 20 Buzzzes to the field last night, so my release was dialed in)...Flat/slight hyzer release--The Z seemed to glide straight and slow for a long time before dropping down 6" from my target. It didn't seem to lose altitude until the last 10% of its flight, after which it dropped dead. The Pro D (both were Z & D were 177) came out of my hand similarly, but it started dropping about 50% through the flight and continued a slow descent ending 20' short of my target. The D also started fading slightly left as it dropped, where the Z held straight. I repeated this a couple times, results were always the same. If I got on the D a little more to compensate for the drop, it turned over slightly and didn't fade.

Conclusion? Pro D sucks. I imagine if it were beat a little it would fly better, but still not as well as the Z.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby emiller3 » Fri May 29, 2009 9:00 am

erb wrote:what's the Z buzzz with "BUZZZ" in big letters in the middle, without the big Circle like the discraft.com shows?

How about the Z buzzz with nothing in the middle and "Discraft Buzzz" at the top and ".5 mid range driver" at the bottom?

The big BUZZZ letters in the middle is what I think of as the old production Buzzzes, somebody may have to correct me. That's what I have, and I have some that I think are 3 years old. The big circle ones are what I think of as new production Buzzzes.

The one with nothing in the middle...an experimental run of the old production Z? I would think it's the same as the big letter Buzzz...
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby black udder » Fri May 29, 2009 9:05 am

discspeed wrote:
black udder wrote:I guess I know who'll be crying now when Pro D, X & Z get dumped from production in favor of ESP & FLX (no I haven't heard that, just saying). I can't believe how many people throw the ESP & FLX. I just didn't care for either one of them compared to the others. Oh well.

Something about the FLX Buzzz really appeals to beginners. I've known many people who liked the FLX first, only to move on as they improve their form. I too threw the FLX for awhile when it came out. It has great grip and medium speed stability, but is overstable at low speeds and gets too understable at high speeds. This makes for a "squirrely" Buzzz when you put any kind of power on it.

The ESPs fly like broken in Zs out of the box, but are a bit faster imo. This makes the HSS a little touchier than the Z. Good disc for people who prefer a hyzer release.

The Pro D Buzzz is one of my least favorites. Brand new Z vs. D on a 300' straight shot: Thrown exactly the same (I took 20 Buzzzes to the field last night, so my release was dialed in)...Flat/slight hyzer release--The Z seemed to glide straight and slow for a long time before dropping down 6" from my target. It didn't seem to lose altitude until the last 10% of its flight, after which it dropped dead. The Pro D (both were Z & D were 177) came out of my hand similarly, but it started dropping about 50% through the flight and continued a slow descent ending 20' short of my target. The D also started fading slightly left as it dropped, where the Z held straight. I repeated this a couple times, results were always the same. If I got on the D a little more to compensate for the drop, it turned over slightly and didn't fade.

Conclusion? Pro D sucks. I imagine if it were beat a little it would fly better, but still not as well as the Z.

Now go take a few X's out and do the same thing, please. I like the feel of the X and need to know if I should throw Z or X :)

seriously, thanks. That was interesting information. I think the Pro D is good for working through the Roc cycle, one new and overstable, one dead straight and one turnover (for whatever distance you're throwing). I like the pro D, but now tend to cater to the X, Z or Crystal since I have the Comet.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby discspeed » Fri May 29, 2009 9:09 am

black udder wrote:
discspeed wrote:

Now go take a few X's out and do the same thing, please. I like the feel of the X and need to know if I should throw Z or X :)

seriously, thanks. That was interesting information. I think the Pro D is good for working through the Roc cycle, one new and overstable, one dead straight and one turnover (for whatever distance you're throwing). I like the pro D, but now tend to cater to the X, Z or Crystal since I have the Comet.

The X has the most glide by far. You can throw it somewhat "Comet-like" and get great results. It flips if I throw it hard, but if I don't overtorque it the flight is long, straight, and effortless compared to the Z. I'm considering playing around with the X a little more.
discspeed

Postby Jeronimo » Fri May 29, 2009 9:18 am

discspeed wrote:

I think this is a fair and true statement and I myself fall into this category. However, I still love me some flx buzzz. It's not left my bag even after adding in a Z. It's comfortable and grippy, I'll agree its true they can be more finicky than their Z or ESP counterparts, but I still love them and throw them regularly.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby erb » Fri May 29, 2009 11:34 am

emiller3 wrote:
erb wrote:what's the Z buzzz with "BUZZZ" in big letters in the middle, without the big Circle like the discraft.com shows?

The big BUZZZ letters in the middle is what I think of as the old production Buzzzes, somebody may have to correct me. That's what I have, and I have some that I think are 3 years old. The big circle ones are what I think of as new production Buzzzes.

The one with nothing in the middle...an experimental run of the old production Z? I would think it's the same as the big letter Buzzz...

i should have said that the buzz With "BUZZZ" in the middle is not a tie-dye and the other one is, from what I've seen.
this might be the reason for the different stamps
erb
Tree Magnet

Postby discspeed » Fri May 29, 2009 12:39 pm

erb wrote:
emiller3 wrote:

i should have said that the buzz With "BUZZZ" in the middle is not a tie-dye and the other one is, from what I've seen.
this might be the reason for the different stamps

Correct. Tie dies and tourney stamps have the smaller Buzzz insignia.
discspeed

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment