Dallas/Ft.Worth area

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Dallas/Ft.Worth area

Postby disc junkie » Fri May 08, 2009 11:26 am

I will be heading to the Dallas/Ft. Worth area along with some buddies for a three day disc golf trip and I am looking for some ideas as to where to play and what is recommended the most by the locals.

I know for sure we are going to start at Lester Lorch and after that is open game.

Any ideas would be helpful, also I would like to extend an invite to any who can join :D
When I'm not itchin for discin, I have the yearnin to get the plastic turnin
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Re: Dallas/Ft.Worth area

Postby Blink » Fri May 08, 2009 12:10 pm

Rockwall is a gem, but probably the hardest to get to. I'm not too familiar with the Dallas courses, but you can't really go wrong with Bicentennial (Crowley), Veterans (arlington) and Zboaz (ft worth). Those are generally the courses that host the big tourneys along with Cedar Hill, but there are around 20 decent courses dotting the DFW nowadays. If its next weekend I might not even be playing a tourney. I think the nearest one is Nacodoches/Temple...
Zone/RhynoAviarRocWhippet/DroneTeebirdFirebirdRoadrunnerDestroyerXcaliberBoss/NukeKatana

I throw Terminators when nobody looks.
Blink
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Champ Archangel

Postby disc junkie » Fri May 08, 2009 1:25 pm

thanks for the info!!

We actually wont be going until july 24th so we have plenty of time....I really want to play Rockwall as well
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Postby Donkeypuncher » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:40 am

Lester lorch is supposed to be one of the best courses around here so good choice. I usually play the north dallas courses, but there are a few good courses down that way.

You've got:
Veterans in arlington (heavily wooded with mesquite trees and big hills)
Audubon in mesquite (gets muddy, few signs,blue/white tees, very long, might need the online map)

In north dallas there are 2 top courses:

Lewisville lake in Lewisville (lots of trees, alcohol allowed, all signs, lake hazard on 3 holes, good mix of hole types)
Towne lake in mckinney (lots of trees, creek/water hazard on 6 holes, a few 500'+ holes, blue/white tees, alternate pins, great signs made by ted damson/zamson whatever his name is now)

I've heard that Z boaz in fort worth is good, but I've never been. I'd stay away from BB owen and fritz park, I wasn't impressed at all.

Definitely give a heads up when you come down, I'd definitely be willing to get a few rounds in.
200, and 40 dollars......a worth a puddin'
Donkeypuncher
1000 Rated Poster

Postby sth1oo6 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:49 pm

Z Boaz is a great course (my favorite in dfw) but, good luck trying to play on weekends. Groups of 10 and 12 on every tee box. You could try playing early in the morning it is an awesome course.
I run a non-profit home for beaten and abused rocs.
sth1oo6
Noob

Favorite Disc: beat Roc

Postby Donkeypuncher » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:49 pm

The same goes for lewisville, weekends can get busy especially if the weather is nice.
Donkeypuncher
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Chris-pee » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:02 am

Z boaz is awesome, but like they said, almost unplayable unless you get there real early. Bicentennial park in crowley is my fave around here, definatley worth playing
Chris-pee
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby RustyP » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:43 pm

My DFW top 5:

1) Lester Lorch - Cedar Hill (2 awesome, technical, and beautiful courses on one property...my old home course)
2) Harry Myers - Rockwall (Houck course with a good mix of deucable holes and challenging par 4-5...my current home course)
3) Z Boaz - Ft Worth (Another Houck course with a great mix of everything...I've seen this one show up on some top pro's "top 10" list)
4) Towne Lakes - McKinney (New "pro-level" course...lots of wooded fairways, a giant creek, good variety)
5) Bicentennial Park - Crowley (Very challenging course w/ 3 sets of tees, lots of tricky elevation shots)

Lake Lewisville is also a great one, as is Veterans...I just don't play them that often. Fritz isn't one I would make a long trip to, but if you end up in the area its a pretty fun little course. Audubon has a lot of potential and some awesome holes, but it's pretty rough around the edges...worn-in dirt tees, 9 homemade baskets, high grass sometimes.

I'm down to meet up with you guys one day....especially when you hit Lorch Park :D

Z boaz, Veterans, Crowley, and Cedar Hill are all near I-20; you might be able to squeeze them all into 1 day, but I'd recommend taking your sweet time at Lorch...it's very scenic and peaceful. Rockwall and Audubon are fairly close together (and there's 1 other decent course in the area - Paschall Park), and Lake Lewisville and Towne Lakes aren't too far apart, but it can take forever during rush hour traffic.
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby Donkeypuncher » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:55 pm

RustyP wrote: Lake Lewisville and Towne Lakes aren't too far apart, but it can take forever during rush hour traffic.

Not since they opened the 121 toll road, It takes about 20 minutes now, less if you drive like me.
Donkeypuncher
1000 Rated Poster

Postby sth1oo6 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:58 am

I will give a course update when it gets closer to the date you are coming for Towne Lake. Course is in great shape right now but, about a month ago grass was up past your knees and snakes everywhere.
I run a non-profit home for beaten and abused rocs.
sth1oo6
Noob

Favorite Disc: beat Roc

Postby RustyP » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:11 pm

Donkeypuncher wrote:
RustyP wrote: Lake Lewisville and Towne Lakes aren't too far apart, but it can take forever during rush hour traffic.

Not since they opened the 121 toll road, It takes about 20 minutes now, less if you drive like me.

Awesome! I remember driving from the Lake to Alex Clark a few years ago around 5pm...think it took well over an hour, with having to drive on the 121 frontage road the whole way...sucked!
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Postby Donkeypuncher » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:08 pm

RustyP wrote:Awesome! I remember driving from the Lake to Alex Clark a few years ago around 5pm...think it took well over an hour, with having to drive on the 121 frontage road the whole way...sucked!

Yeah I remember those days, it was still a good 40 minutes with light traffic. Now 121 hits 75 at eldorado, so it's a straight shot to both mckinney courses. They are also building a toll bridge across lewisville lake from swisher, but 121 is still faster to get to mckinney.
Donkeypuncher
1000 Rated Poster

Postby disc junkie » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:01 pm

I must say I have been WRONG for a long time thinking the Austin area was the best place in Tx for DG. DFW is leaps and bounds ahead of us here in A-Town in terms of course quality.

Harry Meyers, Lake Lewisville, Lester Lorch Beaver course, Towne Lake, Bicentennial, Z Boaz, Veterans, Bear Creek and Alex Clark (ace run city) are all better than anything we have down here with the exception of Wilco, Circle C and Manor (East Metropolitan) even though those three courses would still be middle of the run compared to what we played in the DFW area.

Now, Im just bummed cause I have to come back to our courses, lol.

There were a couple I didnt care for though such as Gateway Park, BB Owen and Arcadia, there were a few others but I cant remember their names.

We ended up playing 5 courses per day for three days
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Postby RustyP » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:07 am

disc junkie wrote:We ended up playing 5 courses per day for three days

Good god! :shock: Steroids in the hill country water? :D

Glad you enjoyed your visit...come back anytime! Hopefully by this time next year there will be even more great courses to play. I know of 6 in Dallas alone that have been approved and are just seeking funds for baskets, tees, etc (fingers crossed for a Dallas/ Ft Worth Worlds in the future).
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Postby Chris-pee » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:17 am

Gateway is an ass kicking
Chris-pee
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Comet

Return to Courses