Sports/Activities

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Sports/Activities

Postby TexasOutlaw » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:10 pm

What other sports and activities do y'all engage in other than disc?

Me, I also play tennis and shoot darts. The reason I ask is that when I play a long round of disc, I'm a little sore/tired when I do either. I figure many of the things I do use the same muscle groups.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby garublador » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:08 am

I snowboard occasionally. I'll play darts or foosball if I'm in a bar or at someone's house who has a board/table, but nothing serious. We had a foosball table on my dorm floor in college so I played quite a bit back then. In high school we played ultimate frisbee quite a bit and I've always preferred throwing a disc to a ball.

My big claim to fame, though is that in 8th and 9th grade I was on a club volleyball team with Number 0 (DJ Starscream) from Slipknot.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Weebl » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:31 pm

Surfing is the only true sport (I guess?) I do besides Frolf. Mental note: Don't surf dawn patrol then go to a bag tag round. :|
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby distantdg » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:33 am

i usually bowl a couple games a week....or i also try playing some racquet ball or tennis depending on the weather.
distantdg
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:38 am

Ive skateboarded for 13 years (im only 19...) and disc golf takes most the time I used to spend skating. I still play a bit of darts pool, fooseball, on occasion raquetball.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Solty » Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:03 pm

i bike, hike and play football in the fall in a flag league and summer league basketball...just for something to do...

mike
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:09 am

Interesting posts. One reason I was asking is: it seems that more and more my arm and shoulder are tired (no jokes please :D ). I was asking some friends and they pointed out all the activities/games I play that rely on it.

Darts may not seem like a big deal, but try throwing 100 darts consecutively (I normally throw closer to 500 during practice rounds for league play).

Or is it just the natural aging process? :?:
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Weebl » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:08 am

If you're right handed, and only your right arm is sore, then it's due to activities, if it's both then its because of another reason; is my guess.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:58 pm

Just the right. I'm guessing it's fatigue. I'm also in a job where I have to keep my right arm above my head at times, also adding to fatigue. Funny, when I was younger, I used to hear people complained about being tired from things like throwing darts and would find it humorous. It all comes around.....
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Weebl » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:57 pm

If you want to get back to that endurance, run 5 miles every morning. Within a week you'll be an endurance machine.

... Who wants to run anyway...
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby krusen » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:35 pm

I've actually gotten sore from throwing darts.:oops:
Other activities:
Snowboarding, pool, hunting, fishing.

I used to lift weights with the intention of gaining mass, but switched to a more strength type regimen when I realized that extra mass is prohibitive for disc golf and snowboarding....I still gotta lose my beer gut tho. :wink:
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Postby TexasOutlaw » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:45 pm

krusen wrote:I've actually gotten sore from throwing darts.:oops:

I still gotta lose my beer gut tho. :wink:

I got the same problem...but love my beer. One thing about being a competitive dater: you need repetition. It is this repetition that I think bugs my arm/shoulder area.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby daevidcardiac » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:57 pm

swimming is a good and easy low impact way to get that rotator cuff loose
yuk
daevidcardiac
Noob

Postby krusen » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:12 am

TexasOutlaw wrote:One thing about being a competitive dater: you need repetition.

Competitive dating huh? Do you see how many women you can date in one night w/o getting slapped? :D j/k..I know what you meant

I have some shoulder problems too. Often the rear shoulder muscles are under-developed. There are some exercises you can do with those stretchy bands that really target the rear shoulders. I'll try to explain the best I can...you may want to do some surfing to find pics.

Fix one end of the band to something about waist high.

Exersize 1:
Facing the fixed end hold the other end in your hand
Keep your elbow at your side at all times, and bent at 90 degrees
Start with your hand pointing toward the fixed end and move it rearward...kind of the reverse of throwing a sidearm.
You should stand far enough from the fixed end that there is constant tension on the band, but you should still be able to do about 20 reps.

Exersize 2:
Same here, but raise your elbow so that your upper arm is parallel to the ground.
Start with your forearm pointing at the fixed end and rotate it to pointing at the sky. Really concentrate on feeling the rear shoulder muscles doing all the work.

Exersize 3:
Reverse of Exersize 1. This one actually uses the front of the shoulder, but still uses often underdeveloped muscles that surround the rotator cuff.
This one you want to face 90 degrees away from the fixed end.
Keep your elbow at your side again
Start off pointing at the fixed end and rotate your arm bringing your hand to your stomach.
You may want to double up the band for this one as this is a naturally stronger motion.
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Postby TexasOutlaw » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:46 am

Sorry was supposed to be darter. Live by the finger, die by the finger.

Those sound like what you do if you're a quarterback to strengthen your arm. Where would I get those bands.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Next

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.