NO SMOKING!

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

NO SMOKING!

Postby ChUcK » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:45 am

2-day B-tier, second day is a grueling 27-hole round on a private course in the middle of nowhere (effectively). During the players' meeting the TD announces that there will be absolutely no smoking on the course. Not on the pads, not in an old firepit, not in a plane, not on a train (Sam I am). The land is his private property. We were threatened with a visit from the fire marshal and legal consequences if found smoking a cigarette.

This caused quite a stir amongst the smokers, who represent a decent proportion of DGers. Now, I'm not questioning the legality of this proclamation, but shouldn't the TD have to announce this kind of smoking ban well ahead of time so the smokers can have time to procure an alternate method of nicotine delivery should they need to do so? The nearest store to this guy's place is a healthy drive on about 10 miles of country backroads, so zipping to the store for a can of snuff was out of the question.

What do you guys think? Please try to refrain from any holier-than-thou anti-smoking bullshit. It's a perfectly legal (albeit stupid) habit. I'm more concerned about what type of information should be available to the competitors ahead of time.

What is the difference between this scenario and another where the TD announces that there will be NO RHFH THROWS ON THE COURSE. Anyone who is caught throwing right-handed sidearms will be kicked out of the tournament and have a nice little chat with the sheriff as well. This is another perfectly legal habit, but hey, it's private property and if you don't like it the get the F outta here.
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Re: NO SMOKING!

Postby Dig It » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:57 am

I think with something that impacts THAT many of the players it should have been on the flyer or mentioned WAY out. It's not like the owner of the property just came up with this rule right before the tourny. TDs and land owners have every right to say there will be no smoking and players have every right to not go to this tourny if they will be forced to nic-fit for 7 hours.
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Postby Blink » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:03 pm

I think people tend to point their guns at smokers rather than smoking too often. Sure its a private course and he has a right, but I would expect this guy to take a lot of flak for throwing restrictions at people that have already signed up.

That being said, I'm sure on a private course he just assumes cigarette butts will be thrown on the ground, and sadly that seems to be the case most of the time. You can't hold everyone to the golden rule.

edit: The only effective action against him (justified or not) would probably be demanding a refund.
Zone/RhynoAviarRocWhippet/DroneTeebirdFirebirdRoadrunnerDestroyerXcaliberBoss/NukeKatana

I throw Terminators when nobody looks.
Blink
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Champ Archangel

Postby ChUcK » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:29 pm

Oddly enough, Blink, the effective action most smokers chose was to smoke anyways, surreptitiously. I survived because I had bought a can of snuff "just in case". Two years ago this guy restricted smoking to teepads only, which I thought was a fair deal.

Also, he's not worried about the litter (although he bitches about it), he's worried about fire hazards.
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Postby nohr » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:36 pm

I went to a tournament where they did this. Graceland University in Lamoni has a no smoking policy on their campus. The TD informed everyone at the players meeting. There was at least one smoker on my card and he didn't seem to bent out of shape. I told him it doesn't matter as long as he doesn't throw the butt on the ground.
nohr
Tree Magnet

Postby Leopard » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:24 pm

that's extremely poor TD'ing ... you gotta give notice of that kinda thing

i am cool with what i can't do during a round, cuz i can prepare. sucks for the pointless-stuff-smokers to be hoodwinked like that. that kinda announcement should be followed by, "and the full refunds are available right over there."

this would be great fodder for a class action civil suit alleging fraud, demanding a refund and lost wages :lol:
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby ChUcK » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:38 pm

Ted Damson wrote:this would be great fodder for a class action civil suit alleging fraud, demanding a refund and lost wages :lol:

...and yet another inter-Washington disc golf feud, as if we needed another. Looking back, I wish I had at least raised some sort of stink about it, but the last thing I want right before a tourney round is to get my blood boiling.

When they begin to advertise the tourney for next year I plan on foruming my complaints loudly and well-prior to the event. I still won't go, though, because there were a few other things that really screamed "half-assed tournament" to my ears. The no smoking thing just iced the cake, is all.
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Leopard » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:47 pm

i've seen the entire Pro Women field threaten to walk... at World Doubles :lol:
can't faze a Legendary Legend with your silly opinions about being Pros, not wanting to play Am boxes, cuz of your weak little girlie arms (and brains, apparently... stupid girls)

just sayin', the guy should have witnessed a large swath of his players drop out and demand their money back. shoulda, but such justice is rarely seen.
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby Frank Delicious » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:21 pm

Even as a non-smoker I think that is pretty weak. I mean I understand it's his property and all but he has got to let people know before signing up.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Dogma » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:52 pm

ChUcK wrote:he's worried about fire hazards.

That's a valid reason. Yes it's lame that he didn't tell people ahead of time (unless conditions were unusually dry, and he would otherwise have been OK with smoking). And anyone who wanted to back out should be offered a refund. But smoking anyway when the guy isn't looking is a dick move. Being mad because no one told you in advance doesn't mean you get a free pass to break rules on private property. That doesn't do anything to help the DG community or access to private courses.
Dogma
2009 DGR Donator

Postby keltik » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:38 pm

well as an on again off again smoker trying to kick a voracious habit......i can see it both ways.....if it was dry there (but since it's the pacific northwest i don't see how that's possible) i would understand the fire hazard line.....but it sounds more like a liberal hippie douche bag move with a "valid" excuse stapled to it.....and excuses are like assholes......

most smokers know what's up....we know people don't like us.....we know we can make a mess.....but we also know how to be sneaky.....and would i have smoked in secret....oh hell yes.....the most dangerous people on the planet are angry women, religious extremists and deprived smokers.....and bug spray covers up a lot of odors
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Luke » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:51 pm

If I was ever a TD I'd do the same. People who smoke while others on the the tee pad should get an automatic two strokes a round. I don't care what any of you addicts think, either.
Luke
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby keltik » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:54 pm

what if they're smokin' a lefty?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby nohr » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:34 am

Luke wrote:If I was ever a TD I'd do the same. People who smoke while others on the the tee pad should get an automatic two strokes a round. I don't care what any of you addicts think, either.

Here is my question. For the smokers out there when you go and see a movie do you take a break half way through?

When you fall asleep do you wake up and have a smoke 1/2 way through the night?

Do you work at a job where you can smoke when ever you want?

I have been a smoker before and hung out with many smokers in my life. I would bet that most smokers often go 3-4 hours without a cig multiple times during the day. I only know one person that will get up during a 2 hour movie and go out for a smoke. This same guy wakes up multiple times in the nights and has a cig. The point I am trying to make is that just b/c you can smoke doesn't always mean that you need too.

Should the TD informed people about the policy? Yes
Is it the end of the world when people can't smoke for 3-4 hours? No
nohr
Tree Magnet

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:51 am

Dogma wrote: But smoking anyway when the guy isn't looking is a dick move. Being mad because no one told you in advance doesn't mean you get a free pass to break rules on private property. That doesn't do anything to help the DG community or access to private courses.

I somehow missed this the first time I read over the OP. That is pretty messed up people went behind his back and smoked no matter if they thought the fire hazard was a real or make up excuse.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Next

Return to Rules Discussion