NO SMOKING!

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: NO SMOKING!

Postby Dig It » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:12 am

ChUcK wrote:Please try to refrain from any holier-than-thou anti-smoking bullshit.

Luke wrote:I don't care what any of you addicts think, either.

nohr wrote:Here is my question. For the smokers out there when you go and see a movie do you take a break half way through?

Well Chuck, you tried but they always seem to find a way to toss their pamphlets of judgement from on high eh? ;)
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Postby black udder » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:57 am

nohr wrote:Here is my question. For the smokers out there when you go and see a movie do you take a break half way through?

When you fall asleep do you wake up and have a smoke 1/2 way through the night?

Do you work at a job where you can smoke when ever you want?

I have been a smoker before and hung out with many smokers in my life. I would bet that most smokers often go 3-4 hours without a cig multiple times during the day. I only know one person that will get up during a 2 hour movie and go out for a smoke. This same guy wakes up multiple times in the nights and has a cig. The point I am trying to make is that just b/c you can smoke doesn't always mean that you need too.

Should the TD informed people about the policy? Yes
Is it the end of the world when people can't smoke for 3-4 hours? No

I fall in here. Nothing against smokers or smoking, just that while it wasn't cool to announce it so late, it should be something that can be dealt with on a short term basis.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby chiggins » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:17 am

When you fall asleep do you wake up and have a smoke 1/2 way through the night?

Duh, of course not. That's what patches are for. That and kicking the dreams up to 11.
chiggins
2009 DGR Donator

Postby Bruce » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:22 am

http://www.pdga.com/rules/80401-special-conditions

The rules state that any special conditions must be announced at the player's meeting. Granted, he might have made life easier for himself if he'd put it on the invite, but then he might have had a worse turnout, so I can't blame him for not!

And I say this as an ex-smoker who has played non-smoking events both before and since I quit; for anyone who ignored him and risked the fire hazard, DQing is too good for you...
Bruce
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Dx Roc

Postby nohr » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:56 am

Dig it I think you forgot one quote

nohr wrote:I have been a smoker before and hung out with many smokers in my life.

I think my question is valid. If you do smoke can you go 2-3 hours without a smoke? If you can then playing a round of disc golf without smoking shouldn't be that big of a deal.
nohr
Tree Magnet

Postby some call me...tim? » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:07 am

Drawing a comparison to everyday tasks to tournament play isn't exactly fair. Tournaments are a bit more stressful than watching a movie or sleeping. And as any kind of smoking cessation instructions will say, it's best to wait until a non-stressful time to quit smoking. I've gone through phases of smoking and not myself, and I can safely say I'd rather have to deal with the stink of a cigarette now and then rather than a stressed out, pissed off guy who's in the midst of a nic fit. And as someone whose experienced nic fits before, depending on how bad your addiction is, yeah, you might be able to survive for 4 or 5 hours without a cig (the course in question is a pretty big 27 holer, btw), but that could be a miserable one and maybe end up souring the whole tournament for you--and maybe the others on your card.

And keltik, its a common misconception that the PNW is all lush and green. The west side of the states is like that, but over on the eastern side (where this course is), its a semi arid climate and fire dangers are very real. The TD had a valid concern, if there were a fire, it'd spread like well...wildfire, and it'd take forever and a day for the fire dept. to get there. And the dude doesn't seem like a liberal hippie...my guess would be life long GOP or Libertarian.

I can't condone sneaking smokes in when it's explicitly stated not to, but I definitely agree with Chuck's sentiments.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Dig It » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:16 am

nohr wrote:Dig it I think you forgot one quote

nohr wrote:I have been a smoker before and hung out with many smokers in my life.

I think my question is valid. If you do smoke can you go 2-3 hours without a smoke? If you can then playing a round of disc golf without smoking shouldn't be that big of a deal.

What tournaments are you going to that only last 2-3 hours? The ones I have been to are 10 hours long. When I did smoke a pack a day 10 hours was an unreasonable amount of time for someone to ask me not to smoke.

My point was that even though the OP asked people not to get into holier than thou BS he still got a smattering of people that want this to degrade into a "are you smokers kidding me with all this needing to smoke shit?!?" thread.
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Postby nohr » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:17 am

Every tournament I have played in this season has had around 3 hour rounds after this point you can walk to your car or somewhere that smoking is allowed and light up.
nohr
Tree Magnet

Postby chiggins » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:33 am

nohr wrote:Every tournament I have played in this season has had around 3 hour rounds after this point you can walk to your car or somewhere that smoking is allowed and light up.

Just saw a report on the Innerwebs about this last weekend's Seneca Soiree: 6+ hours for the men, 7.5 for the women.
chiggins
2009 DGR Donator

Postby black udder » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:44 am

My own personal view about this is if you can't do without smoking in a situation like this without it affecting you either mentally or physically, perhaps you should examine the hold it has on you personally. Regardless of if it's smoking or any other habit, it's counter-productive to an individual to have anything make such demands on the rest of their life without their having any choice in it. For me it's more about controlling the habit more than allowing it to control you.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby Blink » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:13 am

The problem is why they smoked the first time. After that I'm not gonna act like the people themselves are deciding when to and when not to smoke.
Zone/RhynoAviarRocWhippet/DroneTeebirdFirebirdRoadrunnerDestroyerXcaliberBoss/NukeKatana

I throw Terminators when nobody looks.
Blink
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Champ Archangel

Postby some call me...tim? » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:35 am

black udder wrote:My own personal view about this is if you can't do without smoking in a situation like this without it affecting you either mentally or physically, perhaps you should examine the hold it has on you personally. Regardless of if it's smoking or any other habit, it's counter-productive to an individual to have anything make such demands on the rest of their life without their having any choice in it. For me it's more about controlling the habit more than allowing it to control you.

No doubt. As Chuck admitted in his OP, it's a stupid habit. Everybody would be better off for never having smoked a single cigarette, and those that do smoke would be better off for quitting now. However, it is a serious addiction, and in order to break that addiction, a person has to decide to do that for themselves. A third party suddenly denying an addict his fix isn't fair. People have to abstain from cigarettes when they fly, but they have plenty of advance warning and so are able to prepare themselves mentally, and if need be, physically.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Luke » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:21 pm

Dig It wrote:
ChUcK wrote:Please try to refrain from any holier-than-thou anti-smoking bullshit.

Luke wrote:I don't care what any of you addicts think, either.

Well Chuck, you tried but they always seem to find a way to toss their pamphlets of judgement from on high eh? ;)

Trying to be "holier" I was not. Trying to get across that if that old fuck at league smokes while I'm on the tee pad again, after flipping his disc at every hole, calling me on "un-needed movement", throwing his disc into his bag after he misses a putt he rarely makes, or acting like he's a tenth of his age, I'm going to bury my foot in his crotch.
Luke
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby ChUcK » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:24 am

Luke wrote:Trying to be "holier" I was not. Trying to get across that if that old fuck at league smokes while I'm on the tee pad again, after flipping his disc at every hole, calling me on "un-needed movement", throwing his disc into his bag after he misses a putt he rarely makes, or acting like he's a tenth of his age, I'm going to bury my foot in his crotch.

Well, then you have some issues with self-assertion that you need to work out in real life, not the forum. I guess I'm in the same boat- I failed to voice my opinions on the spot at the players' meeting. At your next league weekly, during the players' meeting, bring up the subject with the applicable rule dog-eared but mention no names. Just force the issue publicly that letting one's smoke even remotely distract another player, especially during a throw, is a courtesy violation and will be treated as such.

Unless, of course, you just have other, non-smoking-related issues with this guy and choose to focus your rage on his smoking instead of what really bugs you about him. In that case, in regards to this subject, shut up.

Nohr, I'd smoke in the middle of a two-hour movie if someone had to pause it to go to the bathroom, take a call, or something. I probably wouldn't stop a movie or leave a theater strictly for a cigarette, unless the movie was worthless anyways. I know of people who wake up in the middle of the night to smoke regularly. They are severe addicts, to be sure, but it's not an outlandish concept. What are you trying to hint at, that there are numerous stages of nicotine addiction? That is correct, good job. You were probably blessed with a lighter habit, like a pack a day or less.

The round took around 6.5 hours, some groups more, some groups less. I would have been one very pissed off individual had I not brought a can of snuff with me. I felt genuinely sorry for those addicts who could not abide by a dip or sneaking a smoke on the sly.
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby black udder » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:55 am

ChUcK wrote:I felt genuinely sorry for those addicts.

I'll go there with you, ChUcK. I think it's a shame so many folks are a slave to smoking (or nicotine). It's made worse by our society that as little as only 10 years ago had smoking all over. Now, due to political and religious agendas, smoking has become the issue of the day.

I'd look for reasons to quit, if only to avoid the feeling of being persecuted all the time. Folks look at you sideways these days if you smoke. A real shame. If you haven't, I would voice your opinion to the TD (if nobody has), even now, so that they are aware of the struggle folks face. Make it easier for the next time for everybody. Doesn't have to be confrontational :)
black udder
Naturally Athletic

PreviousNext

Return to Rules Discussion