Woodsboro regional DGC

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Woodsboro regional DGC

Postby Frank Delicious » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:22 pm

I am going up to Westminster Maryland this weekend and might have time to hit up a course. I will be bouncing between there and Fredrick. What course should I play if I get a chance and will I need a guide to get around it.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Re: Westminster, MD

Postby uNicedmeMan » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:45 am

I live in Westminster, no DG courses.

There are two DG courses in the Frederick area, Heritage Farm Park and Middletown. I've only played Heritage Farm Park, it's pretty ok, the front 9 are cooler than the mostly open back nine. There is a 19th hole that is pretty damn tough.

If you have the time Codorus is the best course somewhat close to Westminster.

Patapsco is somewhat in between Westminster and Frederick. It is currently set up in the longest format and also the longest course in the state.

No real need for a guide at any of these courses but if you want someone to play with hit me up.

Edit: The weather is supposed to warm up considerably by the weekend. We just got a decent snowfall which means the courses may be muddy but with the nice temps I'm gonna be out playing.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby ferretdance03 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:02 pm

If you're free on Sunday come play Whispering Falls. We tee off around 1:30, usually about 6 of us or so. Click the link in my sig for info, and hit me up with a pm if you have any questions.

I don't know what your home course is like, but after playing most of the Charlotte course, my opinion is that you won't like the Frederick courses. Open and short.

If I had only one day to play, it would be Ptap, Codorus or WF.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby uNicedmeMan » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:48 pm

ferretdance03 wrote:If you're free on Sunday come play Whispering Falls. We tee off around 1:30, usually about 6 of us or so. Click the link in my sig for info, and hit me up with a pm if you have any questions.

I don't know what your home course is like, but after playing most of the Charlotte course, my opinion is that you won't like the Frederick courses. Open and short.

If I had only one day to play, it would be Ptap, Codorus or WF.

I was debating mentioning WF, but I figured it might be a little bit farther then he was willing to drive and he would have to deal with all the low lifes up there :evil: .

All jokes aside, WF is also one of the sweetest courses in the area. Brad (ferretdance03) and the locals up there have really done some great work.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Postby Jsw » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:02 pm

Get out to Patapsco if you can, Its my favorite course. While it isn't necessary - I would suggest playing with a local there. Right now(as Greg mentioned) its all in C settings so some of the baskets are a good ways away from the teepad. You could figure it out with a course map but I think it would be more enjoyable having someone to point you in the right direction off the teepads, and suggest some lines to take.

I gotta get up to whispering falls damnit.
Jsw
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: DGR's Night-Owl

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:04 pm

thanks for advice guys, I won't be able to make it up on Sunday to PA because I got to drive back that day. it looks like I will probably be playing Heritage Farm Park since I am already heading up towards Walkersville to visit some family on Friday and will pretty close to it.

I really wish I had to time to play patapsco, that course looks great but I don't think I will have the time to squeeze it in since I will only be able to play Friday after driving up.

nothing wrong with playing some courses that can pad the ace resume.
Frank Delicious

Postby uNicedmeMan » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:06 pm

Jsw wrote:You could figure it out with a course map but I think it would be more enjoyable having someone to point you in the right direction off the teepads, and suggest some lines to take.

Yea, one would probably look for hole 7 long for a bit.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Postby ferretdance03 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:52 pm

uNicedmeMan wrote:I was debating mentioning WF, but I figured it might be a little bit farther then he was willing to drive and he would have to deal with all the low lifes up there :evil:

Believe it. :lol:
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:41 am

I played Heritage Farm park and it was actually pretty good. The course was made way more interesting by having a constant 15 mph wind going. I could see this course being pretty boring without the wind though.

Some of the holes played pretty long with the wind. Holes 4, 8, and 9 all were directly into the headwind making them pretty challenging. I really liked the Dogleg hole 6 (I think), it is a pretty challenging shot, though it is the perfect thumber length, I could easily see going OB there.

I don't really know about holes 3 and 5, both of which look like they will be unplayable after the sweet gum trees grow up for a few more years. All in all not a bad course but when I come up in the fall I am definitely playing Patapsco.
Frank Delicious

Re: Woodsboro regional DGC

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:34 pm

I am bumping this instead of starting a new thread. Has anyone played the Woodsboro course? I am probably going to be really close to it and Heritage Farm Park on Sat and wanted to try to play both of them real quick. I wanted to know if it was worth playing the 9 holes there.
Frank Delicious

Return to Courses