Bag of the Midnight Sun

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Bag of the Midnight Sun

Postby inthedrift » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:37 am

I've made a few changes lately. Most notably I've put Rocs in my bag in place of my much loved Buzzzes. I finally got a DX broken in to straight by playing a lot of rounds with it on a heavily treed course and I must admit I do like it a lot. How long will it take to get to the next stage where it's flippy? Regardless, I'm comfortable with the Rocs now and don't see changing back to the Buzzzes anytime soon. Besides, the Buzzz is almost fast enough to overlap a bit with my Gazelles and I'm able to throw shots with my Rocs that I couldn't with the Buzzz - although I never did put a Wasp in my bag to complement them. I've thought about adding a flippy driver like a Roadrunner, Valk, Vision, etc. to the mix as well. Thoughts?

Stable Control:

169 Striker (flat, seasoning) - controlled distance, versatile
174 DX Gazelle (new) - stable lines, hyzers, line drive straight shots, winds
170 DX Gazelle (worn) - straight drives, hyzer flips

Distance:

172 12x KC Star Wraith (seasoned) - took the Wraith out of my bag for a while and just used the Striker for max D, but I missed its freaky D :D

Understable:

175 DX Gazelle (beat) - turnovers, anhyzers, hyzer flips (I love my beat Gazelle :mrgreen: )

Moderately Overstable:

175 Striker (domey, newer) - big hyzers, headwind control

Very Overstable:

171 Z Predator - headwinds, forehands, overhands, hyzers

Mids:

176 KC Pro Roc (seasoning) - overstable duties
177 DX Glow Roc (worn) - straight with fade, line drives
177 DX Roc (well worn, but not beat yet :) ) - hyzer flips, anhyzers, finesse shots

Putters:

174 S Wizard (pink rubbery grippy plastic, I love this one and it just aced three days ago) - stable drives and approaches
172 S Wizard (well worn) - straight to turnover drives and approaches, long annie and jump putts
170 S Wizard (worn) - primary putter
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Re: Bag of the Midnight Sun

Postby Triplebogey » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:04 am

Looks pretty solid.

Just say no to discs that go to 11!!!!!
My trades

I suck at Disc Golf, therefore I can't afford to carry discs that suck.
Triplebogey
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 150 Class Aero

Postby keltik » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:46 am

Triplebogey wrote:Just say no to discs that go to 11!!!!!

i'm "siging" that if you don't mind sir
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby inthedrift » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:27 pm

I hear ya, but on those holes where I can use the extra 30-40 ft. (sometimes more) that I get out of the Wraith I'm glad that it's there. If it really came down to it though I could take it out of the bag and be fine. I thought about something slower (speed 9 or 10 range) but the Striker is about a 9 and another disc in that range would seem to overlap. Perhaps I should drop the Wraith and get the flippy D driver (RR, SW, Valk, Vision, etc.) I mentioned. I've also though about adding a Magic too lately, to get more predictable turnover lines on putter drives and approaches. I know it's adding another mold, but my well worn Wiz still doesn't really turn like I'd like it to. Will it ever?
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Triplebogey » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:46 pm

keltik wrote:

i'm "siging" that if you don't mind sir

I'm honored!! :wink: :mrgreen:
My trades

Triplebogey
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Triplebogey » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:51 pm

inthedrift wrote:

I hear ya, but on those holes where I can use the extra 30-40 ft. (sometimes more) that I get out of the Wraith I'm glad that it's there.

The Wraith is the one exception that I'd make. Despite being having a fat wing, it's still somewhat controllable, and can be used to shape several lines predictabily.

I used a Wraith to replace my old mold Beast when the Wr. first came out, but it overlaped too much and i didn't like the hard fade at the end. I switched to an SL which was a lot straighter.
My trades

Triplebogey
Fairway Surgeon

Postby inthedrift » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:22 am

Triplebogey wrote:The Wraith is the one exception that I'd make. Despite being having a fat wing, it's still somewhat controllable, and can be used to shape several lines predictabily.

Totally. That's why I like it. Never have tried a Starfire or an SL.
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Triplebogey » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:25 am

inthedrift wrote:
Triplebogey wrote:The Wraith is the one exception that I'd make. Despite being having a fat wing, it's still somewhat controllable, and can be used to shape several lines predictabily.

Totally. That's why I like it. Never have tried a Starfire or an SL.

They're good for straight distance/ turnovers.
My trades

Triplebogey
Fairway Surgeon

Postby inthedrift » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:39 am

Updated for changes:

Stable Control:

169 Striker (flat top, newer - I keep losing em) - controlled distance, good versatility
170 ESP Cyclone (newer - took the GZs out and put this in, I need to get a Pro D for the quick beat in)
174 X Cyclone (not always in the bag, thinking I like the ESP more)

Distance:

162 Star Wraith (tried out some lighter Wraiths, this newer white one BOMBS for me)
172 Star Wraith (more stability than the 162)

Understable:

171 Star Roadrunner (newer)

Moderately Overstable:

the Striker, if it's windy I'll take my 175 Striker along)

Very Overstable:

174 Star Firebird (lost my Pred and decided to try FBs, I really like the Stars)

Mids:

177 bottom stamp DX Roc (overstable duties)
176 KC Pro Roc (straight with a little fade)
177 DX Roc (straight to turnover)

Putters:

174 S Wizard (putter drives, stable approaches - although I'm using the HPP for most putter throws nowadays)
170 HPP Wizard (drives and approaches)
170 S Wizard (all putting duties)

Okay - I'm pretty set with my Rocs and Wizards, I don't see wanting to replace either anytime soon. My fairway/control driver slots are the ones I think are the most likely to change. I really like the Striker and was reminded of that fact via losing one and being without for a couple weeks. I have thrown TBs before though and really like them too. Sometimes the Cyclones seem a little short to me (shorter than the GZs they replaced) but I do like them and definitely need to get a Pro D to beat in to understable. I will say though that my ESP 170 has been a very versatile disc since the first day I got it. I added the RR but it doesn't really do what I wanted it to - I didn't think it had quite as much LSS. I like it, but I think I could do without it or would
enjoy a different mold in its place. I have a 168 Champ SW I might throw back in the bag in its place. I'd eventually like to have a BEAT Pro Wraith and beat Pro D Cyclone for understable drives. I'd REALLY like a base plastic Striker. :D

Oh yeah, I'm throwing 320ish with the Cyclones, 350+ with the Striker, and probably 375ish with the Wraiths although I sometimes hit it right and put em out over 400. Thoughts or suggestions?
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Postby dgdave » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:14 am

inthedrift wrote:169 Striker (flat top, newer - I keep losing em) - controlled distance, good versatility

I guess they aren't that controlled ;)
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby inthedrift » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:46 pm

dgdave wrote:I guess they aren't that controlled

They usually are, I've lost two this summer at Kincaid Park, which has some SERIOUS rough. Check out Feldberg's blog about the course on HukLab's site... :D

One I pretty much saw the area it landed in but couldn't find it, the other was a second throw that I neglected to pick up and tried to find later in the day. Someone might have snagged it...
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Postby inthedrift » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:14 pm

Haven't updated in a while, and I've changed a few things recently...

Stable Control:

172 P PD (new - yeah I'm trying it out, I like it and the Strikers have failed me in the winds)
174 DX Gazelle (newer - I'm a big GZ fan and I've got a CFR glo that's going in the bag as soon as the snow's melted)
171 DX Gazelle (worn straight)

Distance:

167 Pro Wraith (I'll add a heavier Star for more stability on certain days, but usually just the one)

Understable:

170 DX Gazelle (beat - hyzer flips to straight, hyzer to turnover, low power shots)

Moderately Overstable:

The PD is handling this fine for me, if it stays in the bag and I beat it in, I'll probably add an S Line

Very Overstable:

174 Star Firebird

Mids:

177 DX Rancho Roc (newish, flatter - hyzers and stable shots)
170 DX Rancho Roc (new, domier - messing with a lighter one)
180 DX Ontario Roc (new - never tried one and I just got it, I'm liking it but might come out when I beat another Rancho)

Putters:

175 S Wizard (used, stiffer Soft - stable drives and approaches)
170 SSS Wizard (used, been in the bag all winter - trying to beat another Wiz in after losing my beat S last fall :cry: )
170 S Wizard (well worn, putting)
169 or 170 S Wizard (secondary putter, newer)

Sometimes I carry a Magic as well but I waffle back and forth about using it. Sometimes I like it and sometimes I think I don't really need it. I'm not as confident throwing it off the tee as I am with Wizards, but I have had success with it on approaches and long/anny putts. I'm really drinking the PD KoolAid right now too - I had a great round today with them out at Kincaid Park. I haven't played there since last fall as it's just now gotten playable so I had the chance to throw my drivers a bit. The PD was money for me on several tougher holes that I often take 4s on, giving me solid looks at the approach shot. I'm very eager to see what my P PD will be like after some use and abuse.
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Postby inthedrift » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:18 pm

Updated for winter 2011:

Stable Control:

171 S PD (used) - this one doesn't see much use for me in the winter as the two courses we can play in the winter here are fairly short.

Distance:

168 Star Sidewinder (newer) - handles the few longer shots I do need here in the winter (like two holes of the 36 that are playable)
159 R-Pro Boss (lightly used) - sometimes I want to throw a hyzer flip bomb on those two holes

Understable:

The Sidewinder

Moderately Overstable:

The PD

Very Overstable:

174 Star Firebird (used) - flicks, OH shots, utility, hyzers (I carry a more stable Champ as well in the summer, but found I really don't need it in the winter

Mids:

177 DX Roc (new) - was rocking a Buzzz for a while as I take out my seasoned/beat Rocs now in the winter (not gonna break another one), but I missed having a fresh stable Roc in the bag and figured a new DX in the winter bag would be good to keep at least one in the wear cycle
174 Gold Line Fuse (newer) - probably my new favorite disc at the moment, it might be hard to take it out once the beat/seasoned Rocs come back in in the spring

Putters:

172 Organic Magic (used) - primary putter
171 SS Magic (used) - secondary, practice and when the black OG is being a bad little putter and not gettin in the basket
172 S Wizard (used) - stable drives and approaches
175 SSS Magic (new) - understable drives and approaches

I've been toying with the idea of trying out an all Latitude 64 bag as I really like their plastics/molds. Need to pick up a couple Flows, some Pures, and maybe a
Vision and I could give it a run. I still have a few Strikers, a Core, and a XXX - would probably need to add a Pain too as I don't trust the Core for my most stable mid duties.
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Postby inthedrift » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:02 am

I haven't updated this in forever so I figured I'd geek out on it for a moment...

Stable control:

170 MOLF - worn, straight flips, turnovers
171 S FD - used, straight shots, turnovers, hyzer flips

Distance:

172 Champion Katana - used, wide open distance
175 Star Wraith - FH, mild headwinds, stable to overstable distance
163 Star Wraith - controlled distance

Understable:

171 Star Roadrunner - used, flips to turnovers
160 Champion Roadrunner - used, most understable disc in my bag

Moderately overstable:

172 QOLF - newer, straight to fade, power hyzers, mild headwinds

Very overstable:

171 11x Champion Firebird - used, BEEF, FH, FH rollers, headwinds, utility
174 Star Firebird - beat, I like to have a straight Firebird in the bag

Mids:

176 Z Buzzz - new 10th Anniversary, stable mid
177 Gold Line Fuse - used, understable mid

Putters:

174 Wizard - older rubbery feeling run, stable throwing putter
169 Wizard - beat Soft, straight to turnover thrower
170 Wizard - new SS, putter
170 Wizard - new SS, putter

I'm thinking of adding a Zone, Pig, or Jokeri to the bag as an overstable complement to my Wizards as I do a lot of FH in my approach game. The Wizards work fine for me FH but I think something with some bite would be useful for windy days.

I'm also considering dropping the FD for Gazelles again, that or giving the JLS a try. I've been pretty enamored with the OLF since I put it in the bag.
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:25 am

You lack some slow FW driver but RR and MOLF do power down nicely for distance control as long as you can do it.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Next

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion