Discspeed's Bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Discspeed's Bag

Postby discspeed » Thu May 28, 2009 7:16 pm

I put my beat Warlock back in because I don't have anything else that flies like it. Besides that, the setup is working great. Unfortunately I lost my beat Orc. For some reason I can't justify putting the Roadrunner back in because I never end up throwing it enough to get comfortable with the grip. I've found that when I push my Polaris LS hard I can easily get over 400' out of it on beautiful anny lines, so its replaced the Roadrunner totally. That LS has filled a bigger hole in my bag than any other addition in the last year or so. It is extremely versatile.

I've also been really digging the Orc/Starfire combo. The Orc is so effortless and easy to shape lines with, and the Starfire is more predictable than any driver of its speed or faster. I can throw it with slight anhyzer and count on it to fly straight and fade modestly in all but the strongest winds. These discs are getting almost all my distance driving action with the Boss reduced to more or less a situation disc.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby discspeed » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:31 pm

1-175g Organic Voodoo
1-175g SS Voodoo (Bowling Green)
1-174g S Warlock beat to hell
1-175g Stiff Wizard

1-177g Meteor
1-178g 2FR Buzzz
1-177g new Z Buzzz
1-180g Champ Shark

1-175g Polaris LS
1-175g Glow Champ Teebird
1-175g Champ Teebird
1-175g Champ Firebird

2-175g Champ Orcs--beat and stable
1-175g Champ Starfire
1-175g Star Max (red transparent)

Open Courses:
3-Star Bosses 173g-175g
discspeed

Postby marmoset » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:59 am

You used to be on a RR kick; what replaced it? LS or Orc? Or do the 2 share the duty?
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby Leopard » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:19 am

since you're the biggest LS junkie around here (besides disc junkie) -- have you tried Cheetahs in comparison to your LS? i'm pretty sure they have the same top piece, and the LS bottom is an approximation of the worn CH bottom. regardless, I see the same HSS turnover, LSS fade design elements in common between CH, EX, and LS.

reason I ask, I've been on the same kind of kick with my Cheetahs as your LS. I would definitely say that the CH has been the greatest addition to my rig in a long while... even above the Gazelle, *RR, Roc-based mid rig, and Magic. such a versatile Mini-Eagle!

next time I see the D-Junkie I will make him test my Cheetahs.
keltik wrote:I think ZAM had the right idea.
dgdave wrote:Listen to ZAM.
jsun3thousand wrote:zam is already in your pants.
i post things at facebook.com/PostID
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby discspeed » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:23 pm

marmoset wrote:You used to be on a RR kick; what replaced it? LS or Orc? Or do the 2 share the duty?

The problem with the RR for me is that it is too much of a "tweener" disc in my bag. My LS flies on a more predictable line than my RR for shorter fairway drives, and my RR is not HSS enough to be thrown as a max D driver. I lost my flippy Orc again, so I'm once again short a good flippy D driver. I may get a Champ Beast to suffice until I get another Orc beat.
discspeed

Postby discspeed » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:25 pm

Ted Damson wrote:since you're the biggest LS junkie around here (besides disc junkie) -- have you tried Cheetahs in comparison to your LS? i'm pretty sure they have the same top piece, and the LS bottom is an approximation of the worn CH bottom. regardless, I see the same HSS turnover, LSS fade design elements in common between CH, EX, and LS.

reason I ask, I've been on the same kind of kick with my Cheetahs as your LS. I would definitely say that the CH has been the greatest addition to my rig in a long while... even above the Gazelle, *RR, Roc-based mid rig, and Magic. such a versatile Mini-Eagle!

next time I see the D-Junkie I will make him test my Cheetahs.

I feel like an LS is a mini TL. Anyway, I have a friend that has an old KC pro Cheetah that flies a lot like my LS. One of the main things I like about the LS is the plastic. If I could get a Cheetah in that plastic I would try it. Hell, I'd love a Teebird/TL in that plastic.
discspeed

Postby Triplebogey » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:02 pm

discspeed wrote:1-175g Organic Voodoo
1-175g Stiff Wizard

Why so many putter molds?

1-177g Meteor
1-178g 2FR Buzzz
1-177g new Z Buzzz
1-180g Champ Shark

What does the Champ Shark do, that the Z Buzzz doesn't do better?

1-175g Polaris LS
1-175g Champ Teebird
1-175g Champ Firebird

Have you thought of adding a lighter Star TB?

1-175g Champ Starfire

Maybe this is just the way I think, but are'nt people either an Orc person or a Starfire person in the same manner that you're either a Elvis person or a Beatles person??

Open Courses:
3-Star Bosses 173g-175g

What do these do that your other discs don't??
My trades

I suck at Disc Golf, therefore I can't afford to carry discs that suck.
Triplebogey
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 150 Class Aero

Postby discspeed » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:39 pm

Thanks for the comments.
Triplebogey wrote:
discspeed wrote:1-175g Organic Voodoo
1-175g Stiff Wizard

Why so many putter molds?
I've taken out the Voodoo SS. My organic Voodoo is my putter and approach disc from about 175 and in. It is broken in and doesn't hold the line reliably any further out than that. I have tried the Voodoo in pretty much all current incarnations and I don't like driving with it. I LOVE putting and approaching with it however. The Warlock is made of a very special S plastic and is deformed it is so beat. It flies like no other disc, gliding straight and flipping very slowly late into the flight. It can turn in ways a beat Wizard cannot. My Wizard is really stiff and drops unless flying fast. It is straight, yet unaltered by moderate winds. It is an incredibly useful disc and I use it for many shots my other putters cannot do like hard hyzers and drop putts.

1-177g Meteor
1-178g 2FR Buzzz
1-177g new Z Buzzz
1-180g Champ Shark

What does the Champ Shark do, that the Z Buzzz doesn't do better?

Nothing. I've replaced it with a newer run 177g Z Buzzz.

1-175g Polaris LS
1-175g Champ Teebird
1-175g Champ Firebird

Have you thought of adding a lighter Star TB?

Actually I've added a 172 Champ Teebird and it has been really useful. Great HSS, minimal LSS.

1-175g Champ Starfire

Maybe this is just the way I think, but are'nt people either an Orc person or a Starfire person in the same manner that you're either a Elvis person or a Beatles person??

To me, the Starfire is an Orc that won't turn over. To get a line similar to a flat Orc throw, you need to throw it a little turned over. This disc provides security in wind situations where the Orc is risky, or when the shape of the gap favors an anhyzer release for a straight shot. I don't use it much, but when I need it the disc continually pulls through.

Open Courses:
3-Star Bosses 173g-175g

What do these do that your other discs don't??

Unless I'm playing a course with open teeboxes and long holes, nothing. If I'm playing in the woods and trying to hit gaps off the tee, I'm going to go with speed 10 or less. I use my Boss on open courses and it is amazing in headwinds and in situations where I can throw with a full reach back and follow through. My Orcs get pretty flippy thrown like this. I can trust my Star Boss to pop up from a slight hyzer and hold a very long, fast, straight line with a predictable fade at the end. This is great on ball golf type courses and for safari golf. My friends and I have been inventing par 4 and 5 holes at Cliff Stevens in Clearwater and I find myself using my Boss a lot and I'm amazed by what it can do in a lot of space.

Its strange how many of your questions I have recently asked myself and made changes accordingly. I will post my more recent setup.
discspeed

Postby discspeed » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:51 pm

Latest Setup:

175 Organic Voodoo
174 S Warlock broken in straight
174 S Warlock beaten badly
175 Stiff Wizard

177 ESP Meteor
178 2FR Buzzz
177 Z Buzzz (new production run)

175 Polaris LS broken in
175 Polaris LS new
172 Champ Teebird
175 Champ Teebird overstable
175 Pro Line Firebird old school champ

174g Pro Starfire straight/turnover distance
175g Champ Orc
175g Star Starfire
175g Star Max broken in
175g Star Max new

173g Star Boss flips up slightly
174g DF Champ Boss overstable

I don't ever carry all of these except in practice, but I will switch out depending on the course I am playing.
discspeed

Postby zj1002 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:55 pm

discspeed wrote:To me, the Starfire is an Orc that won't turn over. To get a line similar to a flat Orc throw, you need to throw it a little turned over. This disc provides security in wind situations where the Orc is risky, or when the shape of the gap favors an anhyzer release for a straight shot. I don't use it much, but when I need it the disc continually pulls through. [/color]

yep totally agree with that statement 100%

I used to carry a super stable star orc, 2 straight champ ones, and 2 pro(champ) beasts. dropped the star orc for a SF and added a beat SB Orc to replace the beasts. So now I rock 2 SB Orc's and a SF as my only distance drivers. The SF has stood up really well in the wind in situations where my Orc would die or flip. I didn't like the SF at first, but I fixed some hyzer release issues that had been wrecking my game, and man the SF just cruises on hyzer lines. The SF took some strokes of my game today for sure. thinking of adding a Pro SF to beat in so I don't destroy my SB Orc's.
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby discspeed » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:26 am

discspeed wrote:Latest Setup:

175 Organic Voodoo
174 S Warlock beaten badly
175 Stiff Wizard

177 ESP Meteor
178 2FR Buzzz
177 Z Buzzz (new production run)

175 Polaris LS broken in
175 Polaris LS new
172 Champ Teebird
175 Champ Teebird overstable
175 Pro Line Firebird old school champ replaced with regular flat Champ

174g Pro Starfire straight/turnover distance replaced by 171g Orc.
175g Champ Orc
175g Star Starfire
175g Star Max

173g Star Boss flips up slightly

discspeed

Postby discspeed » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:33 am

I've made some changes over the summer:

Currently attempting to play with 1 putter mold, but my Wizards/Warlocks are still around.

175 Organic Voodoo--The disc that goes in the chains
175 1st run S Voodoo-- Straight driver
175 CE Voodoo--overstable driver

177 ESP Meteor--beat turnover/roller
176 ESP Meteor--pure anhyzers and touch straight shots
178 2FR Buzzz--workhorse mid
177 Z Buzzz (new production run)--overstable mid

175 Z Stalker--Straight FW driver
175 SEX--glidey hyzer FW driver
175 Champ EX--overstable FW driver
175 Champ Firebird--ridiculous overstable for thumbers/utility

173 Champ Monarch--turnovers/rollers
174 Champ Orc--broken in, workhorse D driver
175 Champ Orc--overstable
175 Star Boss--straight with good finish
175 Champ Boss--Long hyzers
discspeed

Postby MR. WICK » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:02 am

Why did you drop the Polaris? I've been thinking about putting one in there. My drivers right now are only teebirds, destroyers and firebirds.

How is the one putter only workin out for you?
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby discspeed » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:35 am

TeamTollandDG wrote:Why did you drop the Polaris? I've been thinking about putting one in there. My drivers right now are only teebirds, destroyers and firebirds.

How is the one putter only workin out for you?

I dropped the Polaris as I got comfortable with the Stalker. I wanted the Polaris to be a longer Buzzz, which it wasn't quite, and that is exactly what the Stalker is. Basically, as the Polaris got broken in it seemed to lose distance because I could not throw it as hard and the disc did not compensate for this with glide. It seems the Polaris is at its best slightly broken in, and beyond that it is not really suited for a strong throw.

The one putter thing is working great. The Voodoo is definitely giving my Buzzz a run as my favorite all around disc. It just took a lot of repetition for me to get a clean release with the Voodoo for some reason. Now it sits in my hand right and comes out clean I never get any unpredictable flight behavior and my Voodoos are as HSS as the Wizards I was using. The disc I'm having a harder time replacing is my beat Warlock. Its strange how the Warlock starts out as or more overstable than the Wizard/Voodoo, yet breaks in to flippy quicker than either. Anyway, I haven't gotten a Voodoo understable to my liking yet.
discspeed

Postby discspeed » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:35 am

175 Proto Organic Voodoo--The disc that goes in the chains/understable putter driver
175 Proto S Voodoo--stable putter driver

177 ESP Meteor--beat turnover/roller
176 ESP Meteor--pure anhyzers and touch straight shots
178 2FR Buzzz--workhorse mid
177 Z Buzzz (new production run)--overstable mid

175 Z Stalker--Straight FW driver
175 SEX--glidey hyzer FW driver
175 Champ EX--overstable FW driver
175 Champ Firebird--ridiculous overstable for thumbers/utility

173 Champ Monarch--turnovers/rollers
174 Champ Orc--broken in, workhorse D driver
175 Champ Orc--overstable