Got some cash to waste Lol

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby swel304 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:24 am

that dell pc looks sweet, but I think Ill wait a year or two when you can get it at wallmart for 500$ :lol:

Why I Ditched Mac for Linux

the article seems to be not there, and isnt mac os X a version of linux?

I have alsways been a win/pc user myself. I was working a tech support job around the release of the osX. I have to say macs can be great for some people. Its pretty cut and dry, it works or it doesnt. if you plug in that hot new periferal and it doesnt work though, just put it back in the box and take it back to the store, cause your pretty much done. If your just doing graphics/multimedia work mac is the way to go, everyone else should probly just get a windows pc. If mac gets up to like 50% market share and has more software and stuff available I might change my tune but last I looked they havent gotten more than 2-3% share since before the pc existed (maybe that changed with the ipod ). I do love the mac vs. pc commercials.
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby Rooster » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:27 am

OSX is a based on a UNIX platform. and theres gaining marketshare. 6%-8% depending on wherer you look, and higher with students.....
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby garublador » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:35 am

Rooster wrote: go to an apple store and check them out i can say with 10% certainty that you will like them a whole lot better than any pc.

What a great quote. ;)

I'm excited for the time when getting a bunch of commodity computer parts together and being able to tri-boot Windows, Linux and whatever Mac OS is something most people can do. Wouldn't it be great to be able to go to a computer vendor's website (like Dell) and choose which vendor's processor (Intel or AMD) and which OS's you want installed?

IMO, we're getting to the point where processing power isn't holding the "average" home user back, so one generic hardware system will be able to handle home video editing, number crunching and most video games equally well for the home user, so the only thing you'd need to change is the software/OS.

Heck, with all of this dual/quad core talk going on, why not have the option of two monitors and two OS's running simultaneously on one system? All you'd need is some firmware for the OS's to communicate with that would handle the interface between them and the hardware and you'd be in business.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby swel304 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:52 am

and theres gaining marketshare. 6%-8%

sweet, only 42% to go and I might buy one :lol:

seriously , macs are great, and mac users are like patriotic americans when it comes to pc vs. mac. It looks like things will be changeing but up to this point macs have been pretty limited in choices. I think if they step into the gaming market a bit more they could see a dramatic rise in marketshare.

go to an apple store and check them out i can say with 10% certainty that you will like them a whole lot better than any pc.

I think he intended to say 100% :oops:
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Rooster » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:07 am

i did mean to say that. i don't think you'll ever se a "gaming" mac. its not their scene. which is why macs are so good at what they do they don't try to be everything to everyone and do it poorly. they stick to what the computer is good at and make it perfect for that reason.
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby swel304 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:23 am

After the Ipod I could see apple coming out with a consol game system compatible with the ipods ect.. Higly unlikely but I think it could work for them. they have built so much hype around ipod they need to keep the ball rolling or go back to 1%
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Postby some call me...tim? » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:12 pm

I haven't used a Mac for years, but I don't understand what all the hype is about. Seems like every Mac user is so adamant about how their system is SO much better (strangely similar to people that drive Saturns, for some reason), but I just don't get it. I understand that Macs are better at doing stuff like rendering and video editing, but for day-to-day stuff, what's the big deal? Granted, it has been like 5 years since I used a Mac, but the same attitude was around back then too, and I didn't see anything that made it better. I WILL say for a mac, their products are really slick looking (their big ass LCD monitors are friggin' awesome), and easy to use out of the box, and I hear they have good customer service.

I use a dated XP system though, and don't have any complaints with it (other than it's getting more and more obsolete). It runs completely stable for me and does just about anything I want it to. The thing I love about PCs is that you can customize them however you want, adding on better video cards here, new sound cards there, extra hdd's, etc. I guess there are upgrades for macs as well, but in comparison, they seem to be WYSIWYG (especially w/imacs). And then of course, there's the number of apps and games that are made for windows that just aren't available for a mac. There's just too much available in the PC world that isn't there for a Mac, I don't think I could switch over.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Previous

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.