Praise for technical clothing

Clothing for Disc Golfers, Shoes, Socks, Shirts, Hats etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Praise for technical clothing

Postby JR » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:12 pm

Save for summer shoes I finally got rid of non technical materials in clothing today. Man what a difference getting rid of cotton made. Each article of clothing that breaths and dissipates moisture helps but for a sweaty guy like me that plays more in cold than hot weather and has thermostat stuck in cold weather high heat generation mode cotton ban everywhere makes a huge impact on lessening fatigue in hot weather.

I can't tell you how relieved I was with getting a shirt made for runners last summer after the mildly better socks but adding soccer shorts is bliss! Commando or not. Haven't played commando yet but probably could without anyone noticing a difference thanks to the inner pant of the shorts. Couldn't find a name for the Nikes I got but Adidas Parma II is also great.

I've gotten more sores and chafing than I can count in upper thighs with cotton underwear so I got technical underpants that are nice for being less moist and cooler but the skin saving is dramatic. Don't know how important that is to people but hiking/climbing up and down a ski jumping hill for 5-6 hours is tough for skin being sweaty in the sun with cotton against the skin. No such troubles EVER for me with or without technical underpants thanks to soccer shorts. They sell a lot so they're are readily available and cheap compared to technical underpants that are very difficult to obtain from stores around here for some reason. Took me a year to find one and I didn't want to buy online without testing. If I knew what I do now when I started I'd had fewer breaks from playing due to broken skin. Can't beat that.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: Praise for technical clothing

Postby Jaysus » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:03 am

my tech drawers may be my best DG purchase to date...
Jaysus
1000 Rated Poster

Postby domromer » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:22 am

Tech clothes are great. I pretty much no longer wear any cotton during rounds. If I do I feel all swampy and t shirts seem to stay wet all day.
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby some call me...tim? » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:50 pm

Jaysus wrote:my tech drawers may be my best DG purchase to date...

Here, here! At a really warm tourney a couple weeks ago, a couple of the guys I was camping with were having real issues with "summer sac" and didn't look like they were enjoying the act of walking much at all. I had some wicking drawers for the weekend, and though I didn't manage to play well, I at least managed to chunder in comfort.

And yeah, performance shirts are SO much more comfortable than regular t-shirts. I was wearing a regular t-shirt at our weekly doubles yesterday, in about 85 degree weather, and though i wasn't sweating heavily, it felt like I was wearing a warm, damp, raspy towel.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby dgdave » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:38 pm

I need to get me some tech drawers. Until then I just sport Anti-Monkey Butt Powder.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby chiggins » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:46 pm

some call me...tim? wrote:a couple of the guys I was camping with were having real issues with "summer sac" and didn't look like they were enjoying the act of walking much at all.

This mighta helped.
chiggins
2009 DGR Donator

Postby uNicedmeMan » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:23 am

I know that the tech drawers are crucial but which are highly reccomended. I'm gonna be out playing a good bit of DG this weekend sans showering so I'm going to need all the help I can get.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby Eric O » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:04 am

uNicedmeMan wrote:I know that the tech drawers are crucial but which are highly reccomended. I'm gonna be out playing a good bit of DG this weekend sans showering so I'm going to need all the help I can get.
icebreaker, the best, no question. If you don't die of shock after seeing the price tag, that is.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby chiggins » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:12 am

uNicedmeMan wrote:I know that the tech drawers are crucial but which are highly reccomended. I'm gonna be out playing a good bit of DG this weekend sans showering so I'm going to need all the help I can get.

I like these ExOfficio's a lot, better than Patagonia's capilene boxers, but both work really well as far as wicking/non-chafing.
chiggins
2009 DGR Donator

Postby Eric O » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:15 am

chiggins wrote:I like these ExOfficio's a lot, better than Patagonia's capilene boxers, but both work really well as far as wicking/non-chafing.
merino wool > any synthetic rubbing against your junk all day

I have some of the capilenes. They are shit compared to the icebreaker wool. I might as well use them for shop rags since I got some icebreakers.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby chiggins » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:35 am

Eric O wrote:merino wool > any synthetic rubbing against your junk all day

I have some of the capilenes. They are shit compared to the icebreaker wool. I might as well use them for shop rags since I got some icebreakers.

You clearly have passionate feelings about this subject, much like the guy doing interpretive dance on the icebreaker website. I guess I'm not ready to make so bold a statement about the boxers, all I can say is that my experience with discing and camping with the EO's has been pretty good so far. I've had mixed results with other merino wool clothing, but I'm sensitive to wool generally.

As far as shop rags go though, cotton diapers annihilate all other competitors for absorbency, leaving the streets running with their blood, and filling the air with the lamentations of their non-woven fabric families.
chiggins
2009 DGR Donator

Postby Eric O » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:03 am

chiggins wrote:You clearly have passionate feelings about this subject, much like the guy doing interpretive dance on the icebreaker website.
:lol:

I'm just sayin I've used both plenty and one is definitely better than the other, but it doesn't bother me a bit if you don't agree with me.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby uNicedmeMan » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:05 am

But the question is, are they easily getable at your local REI?
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby Eric O » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:10 am

uNicedmeMan wrote:But the question is, are they easily getable at your local REI?
Hmm, might not be.

I did just go back and look at the icebreaker link to see wtf chiggins was talking about. I didn't really look at it before but there definitely is some guy modeling the product in some pretty ridiculous poses. Interpretive dance may actually be a complimentary way of describing it.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby chiggins » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:25 am

one is definitely better than the other, but it doesn't bother me a bit if you don't agree with me

No no! My apologies if I struck that tone, I was just impressed by how strongly you felt about the difference, and then even more impressed by the guy on the website, who was so impassioned that he couldn't express how awesome they are without breaking into modern dance.

I'm tempted to try a pair, but I feel like I'll need to chain myself to the bathroom sink first lest I be overcome with emotive expression and break into a stream of beat poetry.
chiggins
2009 DGR Donator

Next

Return to Disc Golf Body Gear