QJLS???

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: QJLS???

Postby garublador » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:15 am

I haven't found that the JLS is as affected by different plastics as some other discs. The Q version is a bit shorter and more overstable, but it's not as big of a difference as you'll see whe comparing DX Teebirds to some Champ Teebirds or D Cyclones to Z Cyclones.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Eric O » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:51 am

koyok23 wrote:man the jls has been getting so much hype on these boards lately

for an older mold it sure has become quite the striker/boss type disc...

i just always find it funny how we hype a disc up...and how i always try that disc out...
Were you on DGR when the X mold Eagle came back with the Star Eagles, then it got re-released in DX? Makes the fuss over the Striker look like nothing. That is how eagles found their way into my bag (and stayed there).
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:15 am

Eric O wrote:

i just always find it funny how we hype a disc up...and how i always try that disc out...
Were you on DGR when the X mold Eagle came back with the Star Eagles, then it got re-released in DX? Makes the fuss over the Striker look like nothing. That is how eagles found their way into my bag (and stayed there).

I threw eagles before they were cool on here Image. All the fuss just made it way harder for me to get eagles in trades around here.

Seriously though the Eagle craze was ridiculous.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby dgdave » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:16 am

Eric O wrote:

Comets too. That's how they are in my bag.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby Eric O » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:21 am

dgdave wrote:Comets too. That's how they are in my bag.
Yeah. I almost think DGR helped bring back the Z even.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby domromer » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:31 am

So is the standard DX eagle that is found in the store the eagle X mold? I saw some yesterday but saw no X on the stamp....I must have been away for eagle craze.
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:45 am

domromer wrote:So is the standard DX eagle that is found in the store the eagle X mold? I saw some yesterday but saw no X on the stamp....I must have been away for eagle craze.

It is now but there are plenty of old ELs floating around. Also the stamp is the same.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby marmoset » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:46 am

Both the EX and the EL have the same stamp. Fondling them is the only way to tell which one it is.

The way I tell them apart is by running my finger from the bottom of the wing up towards the nose. If there is a small catch at the end of the wing then it is an EX. If it is smooth the entire way then it is an EL.

Here's a recycled photo, not mine.
Last edited by marmoset on Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby domromer » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:48 am

Not to totally thread drift.... What makes the newer eagle mold so much better? Also does an eagle fly much like a faster gazelle? Why throw the eagle over say a teebird?
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

domromer
Plastic Fondler

Postby Aaron_D » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:48 am

Disc shops in my area are still flooded with ELs. Good thing for the interweb!
My Drive-> http://www.youtube.com/user/CpJ123?feature=mhw5#p/u/0/OWX_jHYB4bg

Wizard * Roc * JLS * SOLF * Wraith * Predator
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby marmoset » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:54 am

domromer wrote:Not to totally thread drift.... What makes the newer eagle mold so much better? Also does an eagle fly much like a faster gazelle? Why throw the eagle over say a teebird?

Better is a funny word. It depends on the situation as to what is better.
The EX is more versatile because it starts out more overstable. As it breaks in you have a wider range of stabilities represented with one mold. Also, the EX fights out of annies much harder so multi-direction shots are easier to accomplish.

There's nothing wrong with the EL, it just isn't as useful as EXs.

Yes, EXs fly like faster Gazelles. Some people will say they fly closer to a TB path but I'd say GZs are a little closer to the EX .
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby zj1002 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:56 am

domromer wrote:Not to totally thread drift.... What makes the newer eagle mold so much better? Also does an eagle fly much like a faster gazelle? Why throw the eagle over say a teebird?

the E-L for me is less consistent or "flippy". Honestly there is nothing wrong with the mold, there are some people that live by the E-L. The E-X is generally has more reliable fade at the end. Eagles have always been a staple of my bag. Used a 11x E-x for overhand shots and a Star one for stable fairway shots. Then I added a beat up KC Pro Eagle(x) for hyzer flip -> turnover shots that hold their line. The eagle-x can do it all, while the EL tends to bite the dirt faster or turnover type shots. For me the one I owned did not hold its line as well.
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Leopard » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:06 pm

domromer wrote:Also does an eagle fly much like a faster gazelle? Why throw the eagle over say a teebird?

EX vs. TB is a tiny tiny difference in the mold, specifically on the top near the edge of the wing. this feature alters aerodynamics and weight distribution.
that *exact* same relative feature exists between the Cheetah and Gazelle molds, and they perform very similarly to the E/T pairing, but at a lower speed.

Cheetah and Eagle -- they will turn at HS, and fade at LS
Gazelle and Teebird -- they will resist turn at HS, and mostly hold their line at LS

the way i think of it is that Ch/EX have two lines... the HS and LS lines, and i can manipulate some awesome stuff with that.
then the GZ/TB have one line... straight all the way, one angle from once it flips till it hits the ground or fades from altitude, which is a kickass but less workable line.

the fact that i have all the power/speed headroom in the world to manipulate the Cheetah, whereas i have to muscle an Eagle to make it turn tricks, makes the Cheetah my most used fairway driver. CH/GZ for fairway/slow, and EX/TB for distance or higher speeds / headwinds.

so like i said before, GZ and JLS are so similar, that the GZ fully booted the J -- and due to the EX craze, i discovered the useful characteristics of the EX, and then the highly similar but slower Cheetah.

... hoes.
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby sunspot » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:29 pm

I've found the GZ to be more forgiving on errant throws than the JLS.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby domromer » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:31 pm

Makes sense, the Gz is slower and more stable.

domromer
Plastic Fondler

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment