carpal tunnel

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

carpal tunnel

Postby calvarycoffee » Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:20 am

hey all,

i just got diagnosed with bi-lateral carpal tunnel. seems i have nerve damage and muscle damage and surgery is likely to happen.

anyone have the same problem or have had surgery? how has it affected your game?

i am hoping to gain some big distance after corrective surgery and therapy. hehe.

dave
Do not resist chances. . . and there will be one less thing you cannot do -ACG
calvarycoffee
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:28 am

i would recommend going to a chiropractor w/ knowledge in asian medicine first to be honest as the surgery will leave you with tons of scar tissue that will actually lead to more discomfort in the short run and long run discomfort with weather changes.

because i'm sure you want to be healed up for the season... trying this for 3-4 weeks and seeing if it makes a difference. sometimes you just have some muscle tightness/imbalances elsewhere that are the cause and you can correct it naturally.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby krusen » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:01 pm

Freaky. I just logged on to post a related question. I'm not sure if I have carpal tunnel or not. The pain/tightness is mostly at the very top of my forearm. I have had pain/numbness in the wrist before too, but not currently. This doesn't hamper everyday activities, but DG really brings on the soreness. I magine holding a baseball bat in your hand and pointing it out in front of you. Then while keeping your arm in the same position, rotate tour wrist so that the bat points up. This kind of motion hurts like a bastard.

My question is about the powerball. Their website recommends it for carpal tunnel symptoms. The thing is, my forearms are really pretty strong, although I can't rule out some kind of muscle imbalance. Do doctors recommend strengthening your forearm ar resting it in a case like this. Maybe I should go see a doctor?
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:34 pm

That powerball thing is not just for disc golf I guess. I saw it on some non-disc related sites. I know a few people with carpal due to computer usage. There is a way to improve it, but non of the people I knew took these steps. One was so severe he needed electric shocks.

I know that some of them could not shoot single action anymore due to damage, but like I said they didn't take their doctors advice. I remember one of them talking about acupuncture, been a while I dont remember exactly.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

carpal tunnel

Postby Toney » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:26 pm

I've gotten a touch of carpal tunnel in my writs. I switched to a natural keyboard, and I use a intelli-point mouse, the kind that has a ball that you move with your thumb. So work related issues went away.

I sometimes get sore in the upper forearm and down to the wrists (side arms are prone to this, I understand). I use rubber bands exercises for wrist exercises and lots of hand stretches (gently stretches only, but long ones and nearly everyday). Ice works very well for the upper forearm. Be sure to ice around the elbow and above the elbow, since wrist and forearms muslces and tendons begin past the elbow.

By all means, see alternative folks, like chironpractor, physical therapy, acupunture before surgery.

Rest, Ice, all sound good to me. This might be a good time to focus on putting and short game. When I'm sore, I rest a few days, they get back in with short putts, long putts, short game, you get the idea. This is where the money is main, anyway.

toney
Toney
Noob

Postby jiwaburst » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:44 pm

I've started playing with a forearm strap marketed for tennis elbow. It works well, I rarely get any of the soreness I was getting after overdoing it. I can still throw just as well, except for extreme spike hyzers and extreme forhand anhyzer rollers where the strap limits my overextension.

I also take a couple of ibuprofin just before I play, both of these things actually encourage me to have looser and cleaner tecnique.

2 cents only, NOT medical advice...
jiwaburst
Tree Magnet

Postby calvarycoffee » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:28 am

hey all!

i went ahead and got surgery done on my throwing hand (right hand). that was 11 days ago. as you can see, i still remember how to type on a keyboard. hehe.

cast is off, but stitches are in. stitches coming off in 2 days.

i will give some updates when i am able to handle a disc.

dave
calvarycoffee
Tree Magnet

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:49 am

calvarycoffee wrote:hey all!

i went ahead and got surgery done on my throwing hand (right hand). that was 11 days ago. as you can see, i still remember how to type on a keyboard. hehe.

cast is off, but stitches are in. stitches coming off in 2 days.

i will give some updates when i am able to handle a disc.

dave

Speedy recovery. I'm worried about my knee which I hurt in a motorcycle accident 2 years ago. I need to at least get it scoped.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:21 am

jiwaburst wrote:I also take a couple of ibuprofin just before I play, both of these things actually encourage me to have looser and cleaner tecnique.

Its reccommended to avoid pain killers before or after any working out or sports activity. The pain killers block your muscles from keeping any muscle you gain during the past few days. Ive heard this also limits muscle memory.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:25 am

Thatdirtykid wrote:
jiwaburst wrote:

Its reccommended to avoid pain killers before or after any working out or sports activity. The pain killers block your muscles from keeping any muscle you gain during the past few days. Ive heard this also limits muscle memory.

Wow. Good to know. I too occasionally take Ibuprofin 800 and anti-inflammatory pills after long rounds. I'll back off from now on.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Weebl » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:15 am

Ibuprophin is not a pain killer, it is, like you said, a anti-inflamitory pill. Pain killers = Darvocet, Vicodin, Percocet, Norco, Oxycotin, Morphine ect. You get the point, pain killers = narcotics. You should be fine taking those tylenol and other anti-inflamitories
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby calvarycoffee » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:52 am

i have read that fish oil supplements block inflamation, too. and there good for blood circulation too.
calvarycoffee
Tree Magnet

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:37 am

But, do anti-inflamatory pills affect muscle memory as someone stated?
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Weebl » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:38 am

No, only narcotics.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby krusen » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:47 pm

Thanks to WebMD, I'm fairly certain that my problem is more of a tennis elbow issue. I haven't lifted weights or thrown a disc for a few months, and I no longer have pain, but I know things are not quite healed yet. I ordered a powerball yesterday for rehabbing. I'll keep you updated on how it works.
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Next

Return to General Discussion