Seneca long tees to long pins, 7 hours is not an unreasonable tournament round. We did a 15-hole safari icebowl (more than 10,000') there back in the winter, and those 15 safari holes took ~6 or 7 hours... It's an amazing course.
As for the smoking on private land, I think the basic points are:
* Best case scenario: the TD announces the smoking ban ahead of time, pre-signup, so people can make arrangements
* Next-best case: If a late-breaking fire-warning comes up and it means that fire is a real hazard, the TD could have worked to provide a couple of "designated smoking areas" on the course (near holes 1, 10, 19...) where leaves were raked and sand-filled buckets would serve to minimize chance of fire. My guess is that the firepits in the camping areas were designated and safe for fire -- seems like similar areas could have been created on the course. Really, no matter what the reason for the smoking ban, this seems like a reasonable accommodation.
* Realistic scenario: players should have been unhappy and there should have been a rapid rise in snuff prices... or players with snuff could have just shared. This seems realistic.
* next-to-worse-case: Players go behind the TDs back and smoke against regulations, risking the course and the good will of the TD/landowner.
* worst-case: players burn down the course.
For what it's worth, I'm a non-smoker. I've never smoked a cigarette, and plan to keep it that way. However, I'm okay with others smoking on the course as long as they are courteous and try to stay downwind when they light up. However, I think it is inexcusable for players to disrespect the TD and smoke on the course against the rules -- and against the fire warnings.
I would rather have players drop out and take a refund instead of smoking against rules on the course. Many of the best courses in the country are on private land, and I think we should do whatever we can to encourage private landowners and private courses to remain available to the public... we need to respect the rules that are set.
Flick long and prosper.
VP/Wizard | Roc/Buzz | Firebird | Teebird | Destroyer
Vibram Putter tester -- feel free to ask me any questions.