anhyzer

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

anhyzer

Postby asimo » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:57 pm

Many of the top local players that I have been golfing with lately seem to throw with anhyzer tendencies. A few of them have started suggesting that I work on fostering the same style. Throwing very overstable plastic with anyhyzer on every shot and having it fade back. The "S" curve is totally worshiped by these guys. I know that Blakes opinion differs greatly from this, but I'm having a hard time putting all of these concepts together into a sensable argument. What should I tell the guys that wont stop harrasing me about throwing with more anny?
asimo
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:05 pm

you don't have to tell them anything. consistency will stick out in the long run.

anhyzers are unpredictable unless you are throwing very overstable discs and then they are very limited in their use.

if you need a leg to stand on, watch some USDGC videos and watch how many hyzers climo throws compared to how many anhyzers when it's not a right turn hole (rollers don't count as anhyzers either).

if you reference climo and they still give you flack, your come back can be "why wouldn't you want to model your course management after a player that has won the worlds 11 times and the usdgc 4 times?"
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby asimo » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:09 pm

Thats funny cause I actually did mention Climo to one of these guys as a defense for not throwing everything anny. The response was something along the lines of, "he is so athletic and long, he generates enough snap to throw that way but you don't." I pointed out that golf was for life and that I fully intend on someday generating a great deal of snap. It could be that there is no reasoning with these guys.
asimo
Noob

Postby Mark Brunner » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:58 pm

Sounds to me like they are caught up in the "I am cool if i can throw far" hype...

Accuracy prevails over distance... Shoot for consistancy, as blake mentioned anhyzers unless your throwing overstable discs (will not get you much distance) just is not a consistant throw.
http://www.gdstour.com
Gateway Disc Sports!
Mark Brunner
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:44 pm

there's many players that throw hyzers that aren't over 6' tall.
Blake_T

Postby presidio hills » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:42 pm

hyzer flip the crap out of something so it starts going left, flattens out and goes right, then slows down and drops left again at the end. tell them 3 turns are better than 2. I'll bet they're dumb enough to believe that's a great argument for the hyzer :)

one things i've found in disc golf is you always have to play your own game and find your own style. don't worry about the others...
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:28 pm

I like that answer, and it sounds like they would like it.

I dont think that Ive met anyone in the DG community that would say their way is better than yours that bluntly. Im always open for pointers, and let the better players I play with know that, but no one Ive met would tell anyone to scrap what they are doing and try something else just because it works for themselves.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Blake_T » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:41 pm

i've heard a lot of people that take on the "the way i do it is the way it must be" mentality.

what i have found is that most people learned in a bad way and what they end up doing is pushing bad things upon people.

very few people are able to take an objective stance because very few people have learned to do things in multiple ways and then picked the "best" one.
Blake_T

Postby TexasOutlaw » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:17 am

presidio hills wrote:one things i've found in disc golf is you always have to play your own game and find your own style. ...

I start to struggle when I play with players that believe you should throw like them. I do like to learn new lines by observing others, but you don't want the hyzer flip guy convince you that all shots must be thrown with hyzer. Having said that, I learned how to throw a hyzer flip from that guy.

I learned how to throw annhyzers (and rollers) from watching a guy that throws nothing but annhyzers and flex shots. However, I do start to struggle when I go to throw MY shot, and they insist you throw something else. It's the "why aren't you throwing the correct line" syndrome.

There's a hole on my local course that is pretty much a straight shot to the basket with a low ceiling. I like to throw a stable disc and leave it short (wind purposes). One of the locals will get on my cause about a shot like this because he believes that I should throw a hard annhyzer over all of the trees and bring it in left to the basket.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby garublador » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:23 am

I try to remain objective. I have found some uses for flex shots using very overstable and fast drivers (for me it's a Spirit or Speed Demon), but that isn't my bread and butter shot. I like them for low ceiling shots where a straight line to the hole is obstructed, but there's room off to the right and no danger to the left of the pin. It sounds kind of specific, but it does pop up from time to time:

http://www.playdg.com/rosland/?h=6

It's hard to tell from this picture, but I found it works well here, too:

http://www.playdg.com/hansen/?h=2

and here:

http://www.playdg.com/lions1/?h=5

and here:

http://www.playdg.com/plymouthcreek/?h=1

As long as you can aim well, it ends up being a very predictable flight, even in the wind. However, it's not the type of shot I'd use if I want the disc to go straight, which comes up way more often.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby TexasOutlaw » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:50 am

I've spent a lot of time working on my straight game. So for me, if there is a clear fairway, I throw at it (probably explains why I hit so many trees). On more open holes, any shot works. I guess I'm using hyzer flips for distance as I'm not that confident with my flex shot. If the terrain allows, I throw rollers for the longer holes.

My best throw while playing with the locals was on a hole they made up. It was down hill and long, so I threw a roller. No one, including myself, even followed the shot, but it landed by the basket for an easy birdie while everyone else had 4's.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jiwaburst » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:42 pm

Could one of y'all define what a flex shot is? One of the few terms that I see people using but not defined anywhere on the web.

Thanks.
jiwaburst
Tree Magnet

Postby garublador » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:52 pm

jiwaburst wrote:Could one of y'all define what a flex shot is? One of the few terms that I see people using but not defined anywhere on the web.

Thanks.

I'm not sure if I'm using the term 100% correctly, but when I say, "flex shot" I'm talking about throwing an overstable disc with an anhyzer and letting it flex back to straight and then fade hard. Most of the time I throw discs that are overstable enough that they won't really go off to the right (RHBH) much at all, maybe a couple of feet at the most.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Goob The Noob » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:25 pm

jiwaburst wrote:Could one of y'all define what a flex shot is? One of the few terms that I see people using but not defined anywhere on the web.

Thanks.

From the Innova website:

Flex Shot – The Flex Shot is preformed by throwing and overstable disc with an anhyzer angle of release down the left side of the fairway (for RHBH thrower). The disc travels from left to right then the natural overstability of the disc and gravity turn the disc back to the left. It is a very reliable shot that pros use.
Goob The Noob
Noob

Postby TexasOutlaw » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:06 pm

I'm not sure if I am using the proper term, but I was thinking a flex shot is what is sometimes referred to as an S shot. Where the disc goes right, fights the turn and s's back.

It is indeed done by turning over an overstable disc and letting it come back.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Next

Return to Technique