I think I broke a rule

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

I think I broke a rule

Postby MIdiscgolfer » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:47 pm

I was playing a casual round today and shanked one into the shule. When I took my stance there was a dead branch hanging. It was behind my lie and not attached to anything it had just fallen from higher and got hung up in some branches on the way down. Without thinking I yanked it down and tossed it to the side because it was in the way of my backswing, throwing forhand. No one said anything but after I made the shot I dawned on me that I probably should have left it there. I have heard a lot of people claim that if it's dead and/or not attached and behind your lie that it's ok to move. So I thought I'd ask people smarter than me. :mrgreen:

And since that didn't work I thought I'd ask you guys. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Wise men don't need advice and fools never take it." ....................... Mark Twain
MIdiscgolfer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wasp/Buzzz/Comet

Re: I think I broke a rule

Postby JimW » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:39 pm

Yep, if the entire object is behind your lie then you can move it if it's not attached.

Edit: The relevant rule (803.05 C):

C. Casual Obstacles: A player may obtain relief only from the following obstacles: casual
water, loose leaves or debris, broken branches no longer connected to a tree, motor vehicles,
harmful insects or animals, players' equipment, spectators, or any item or area specifically
designated by the director before the round. Obstacles may not be moved if any part of the obstacle is between the lie and the hole. The type of relief a player may obtain is based on the location of the obstacle and is limited as follows:
(1) Casual obstacles between the lie and the hole: A player may move obstacles which became a factor during the round as described by 803.05 B.

(2) Casual obstacles to stance or throwing motion: The player must first attempt to remove the
obstacle unless a portion of the obstacle is also between the lie and the hole. If it is impractical to move the obstacle, or if a portion of the obstacle is also between the lie and the hole, the player's lie may be relocated to the nearest lie which is
no closer to the hole; is on the line of play; and is not more than five meters from the original
lie, as agreed to by a majority of the group or an official (unless greater casual relief is
announced by the director). Alternatively, the player may declare an unplayable lie and proceed in
accordance with 803.06.

(3) Casual obstacles to a run-up: The player may move the obstacle provided no part of the obstacle is between the lie and the hole.. No other relief is provided.
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

Return to Rules Discussion