What is a good DG hat in the summer?

Clothing for Disc Golfers, Shoes, Socks, Shirts, Hats etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: What is a good DG hat in the summer?

Postby niuvalleycane » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:55 pm

Jaysus wrote:
niuvalleycane wrote:I rock this:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___77664

sun protection and good in rain also :)

That's a great hat... too hot for me in the summer though.

I'm in need of a summer version, OR does have options but I haven't been able to find one in person to try at any of the REIs by me
niuvalleycane
Fairway Surgeon

Postby J-Man » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:38 pm

All I need is my Garden City Flyers visor...and this thermos
Team Oregon Ambassador@Large
J-Man
1000 Rated Poster

Postby SkaBob » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:15 pm

Dunno if anyone's mentioned them yet, but there's a hat brand called Tilley.

Unbelievably good hats.

Plus, they'll replace it if you lose it (they're commonly used by sailors, and they'll replace your hat if it blows off and you lose it in the middle of the ocean).
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby JR » Fri May 21, 2010 12:25 am

I've used Columbia Bora Bora with a mesh ring under the crown that's borderline usable for me with wind which is way more than I can say for a Buff Vizor without using water to cool it down. Something that I'm not fond of. The last thing my back needs is to haul more water for not drinking when even drinking water is insufficient for me.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Jsw » Fri May 21, 2010 1:59 am

A decent visor for me. Keeps the sun out of your face/sweat out of your eyes. Yet still allows your head to cool off. 8)
Jsw
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: DGR's Night-Owl

Postby jubuttib » Fri May 21, 2010 6:12 am

Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby JR » Fri May 21, 2010 7:28 am

I couldn't climb up and down Meilahti ski jumping hills in a hat that hasn't got a mesh for ventilation. Even technical thin materials like Buffs are too moist around my head not to mention hot. So a hat like jubuttibs wouldn't work at all. I sweat a ton. And a half.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Jaysus » Fri May 21, 2010 7:34 am

I am with you JR, I have still not found the perfect hat. I have just been dealing with the sweat at this point - but I would love to have a better option.
Jaysus
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jsw » Fri May 21, 2010 7:45 am

I sweat a ton myself. So basically the reason I wear a hat is to keep the sweat out of my eyes.

Hence - lightweight visor. Nothing technically covering your head, so you have plenty of ventilation, but you have something on your forehead that is preventing the sweat from beading down to your eyes.

Sometimes I also just rock a bandana. Same concept in the sense that its lightweight/sweat prevention. It obviously doesn't keep the sun off of your face(doesn't bother me, but I know its a big deal to some)
Jsw
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: DGR's Night-Owl

Postby Monocacy » Fri May 21, 2010 7:52 am

I wore a wide-brimmed Tilley Airflo hat when I was a stroke and turn judge for summer swim meets, which involved standing in the beating sun for hours at a time. Great sun and rain protection, reasonable ventilation, and takes any abuse that you give it. As a bonus, the huge brim makes you very easy to spot in a crowd.

On particularly tropical days I would fill the hat with water, dump the water over my head, and then use the wet hat as a swamp cooler.

When I am feeling flush I might get a second hat with a bit more ventilation.

Tilley hats:
http://www.tilley.com/home.asp
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby JR » Sat May 22, 2010 5:11 am

Compare the size of the holes in the mesh of the Columbia Bora Bora they're much larger. But it doesn't seem to reach as high so the evaporation might be worse. My need is for sun protection because I've burned my skin too often.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Mark Ellis » Sat May 22, 2010 6:20 am

I really hate sun. I should wear a big hat but rarely do.

I do walk from shade to shade and aim for shady spots in the fairway.

In spite of my advanced age I have thick, bushy hair and an oversized melon. So most hats don't fit (one size fits all means no way) and even if a hat fits it won't unless I had a recent haircut. Another problem is that unless I staple it on, a hat will not stay on my head while I drive. If I am throwing for maximum distance my sunglasses won't stay on either.

For all my sweaty brothers, I am with you. In some conditions I will soak towels just from mopping my face.

I have a bunch of hats. The hat which fits best is made for monsoons. But it is thick and heavy and black and oppressively hot in the summer. It is great for winter ice storms. I have a couple summer hats which look sorta like Sherlock Holmes would wear. None of them fit perfectly (and I am very picky about stuff fitting perfectly) but that is the style of hat I am looking for.

Did you ever notice the only hat which doesn't look funny is a baseball cap? Winter hats are the worst. They all look weird.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby RS39 » Sat May 22, 2010 7:52 am

Mark:
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___91215

elastic draw cord with cinch in back, for infinite sizing

I'm on the last 1-2 notches on a typical ball cap too, and this fits great with just a touch of cinch from fully open. Nice breeze thru the top mesh band too. Folds into the bag for car pools, does not come out mangled.
Jokeri, Wasp, Fuse, Timberwolf, PD, Predator
RS39
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Earthless@Roadburn

Postby Dogma » Sat May 22, 2010 8:11 am

I think I've looked at that one before. If that black band is mesh, it seems like your forehead would get burned through it. Assuming of course that your forehead doesn't have hair on it. :(
Dogma
2009 DGR Donator

Postby mark12b » Sat May 22, 2010 11:11 am

i have a lightweight synthetic ventilated baseball cap that keeps fairly cool, but when i'm really warm i use a visor. and walking from shady spot to shady spot like the other old guys. :-)
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Disc Golf Body Gear