Keen on Keens?

Clothing for Disc Golfers, Shoes, Socks, Shirts, Hats etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Keen on Keens?

Postby some call me...tim? » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:15 am

I'm sort of in the market for new shoes, and have been curious about Keens for a while. Anybody have experience with them? How well do they hold up, how's their waterproofing, are they comfortable for long days? Also, if there's any info about their sizing (I usually have bought Salomons or Montrails, and those feel pretty true to size), I'd be most appreciative.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Re: Keen on Keens?

Postby Jesse B 707 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:18 am

if Salomons or montrails feel right on your feet you most likely have some narrow feet as both brands run pretty slim, on the other hand Keens are some of the widest hikers you can get so if your feet are slim they will not pan out well
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Timko » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:19 am

They are really wide. I looked a buying a pair a few years ago, and my feet just swam in them. They are quality made shoes, but I couldn't ever find a pair that fit me well.

Also consider these: Chaco Canyonland Low I think they're very similar to Keens, and have the bulletproof Chaco sole.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby some call me...tim? » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:33 am

I'd say I have average width feet...if the Salomons or Montrails were tight, they stretched out to accommodate. Not much you can do about shoes that are too wide though...I wouldn't want to put on a pair of extra thick wool socks for the summertime. :lol:

Those Chacos look nice, but a little spendy--as a general rule of thumb, I refuse to pay retail prices on shoes, and I don't often see Chacos going on sale.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Leopard » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:52 am

nice! i wear 4E wide... would Keens have a DG/performance/hiker that i'd like?
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby tim » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:44 pm

Here in the Northern Virginia area, we've got a couple of pros who wear nothing but Keens -- the original Keen style, kind of sandal-like with the big solid toe cover. One guy has been shooting 1000+ rated golf in his for the past couple of years, and they seem to hold up well... and that's on all kinds of teepads/dirt/flypads...

However, the other pro swaps between Keens and Nike Landshark cleats, depending on tees and weather. Keens will work -- and are great for summer -- but you need to have strong ankles since there is minimal ankle support.
Flick long and prosper.
VP/Wizard | Roc/Buzz | Firebird | Teebird | Destroyer
Vibram Putter tester -- feel free to ask me any questions.
tim
2009 DGR Donator

Postby Jesse B 707 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:11 pm

Ted Damson wrote:nice! i wear 4E wide... would Keens have a DG/performance/hiker that i'd like?

yes, i have a AA wide foot so i know what you are looking for cuz its what i avoid at all costs, keens are great..........just not for me
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Timko » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:26 pm

some call me...tim? wrote:Those Chacos look nice, but a little spendy--as a general rule of thumb, I refuse to pay retail prices on shoes, and I don't often see Chacos going on sale.

SteepAndCheap for $50 about 2 months ago. I'm with you; I can't spend that kind of cheddar on shoes I'll tear up in 6 months.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby chunk » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:37 pm

depends on the model. i have a pair of keen voyagers that have held up pretty well. i also have a pair of keen waypoints that lasted about 5 rounds before the sole started coming a part.
what would willie do?
chunk
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby Jaysus » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:03 pm

I am a big fan of Keens... been golfing in Targhee II's for the last 7 months or so, they have held up exceptionally well.

I also have a pair of causal Keens that I wore most of the winter when not at work, and have had a dope pair of sandals in the past that I used for DG at courses with water. Some how manged to lose one of them though :?
Jaysus
1000 Rated Poster

Postby chunk » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:11 am

i took my waypoints back to rei yesterday and exchanged them for a pair of teva tamurs. they looked and felt great but only lasted one round of doubles at bluemont before the sole started separating on my left foot (rhbh thrower). :evil:
what would willie do?
chunk
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby Mike C » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:14 am

I had been playing in Van's slip-ons and recently bought Keen Jaspers, mainly for playing disc golf but also to have some shoes I can wear around town that aren't all shredded up from skateboarding. The first day I owned them I played about 50 holes of disc golf and my feet were noticeably better feeling at the end of the day. Very thick insoles and a snug, comfortable fit on my feet. Normally shoes feel a bit narrow on my feet but these fit me great. They broke in real quick. No long term reports yet since I bought them less than a week ago but so far I'm extremely pleased with them. Nice that they're very environmentally conscious too.

I was actually going to make a thread asking if others have tried them and had equally positive experiences, but this thread already existed.

I did have some Teva sandals that worked pretty well unless I got mulch chips in them or got really sweaty. Lost those when I paid some kid to get a disc out of the water for me and I let him wear them in. They got stuck in the muck and I told him don't worry about the shoes, just get that disc. :roll:
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Postby domromer » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:59 am

I had a pair of Keens and the rubber of the sole started to separate from leather upper the first week. By the time I got that back to REi a month later they were flopping all over the place. I tried to shoe goo them but the gaps were too big to hold. I ended up getting another pair of merrels. The keens were nice and comfy. i've just never had shoes self destruct like that.
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby colombo117 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:54 pm

Just got a pair in, the Keen shellrock. They are comfy and look real nice, in the dark shadow color. I will report on them in a month or two.
Ion Challenger Roc EL/EX QJLS Valkyrie Predator
colombo117
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby thecoyotekitchen » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:42 pm

Just got word from Keen that the "Milo" will be released November 2009. This shoe was developed by a team of disc golfers from Keen for disc golf. I am looking forward to this! Hopefully it won't suck!
Wizards-Comets-Valkyries-Firebirds-Wraiths
thecoyotekitchen
Noob

Favorite Disc: Comet

Next

Return to Disc Golf Body Gear