Smartphones/BBs/iPhones - Talk the talk!!

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Smartphones/BBs/iPhones - Talk the talk!!

Postby Solty » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:59 pm

So i started this thread so people can talk about their mobile units and can inquire about them....and what others are doing!

Enjoy!
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Re: Smartphones/BBs/iPhones - Talk the talk!!

Postby domromer » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:01 pm

I'm too poor to afford the iphone service plan..I have the ipod touch and use that for voip calls.
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby Solty » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:05 pm

domromer wrote:I'm too poor to afford the iphone service plan..I have the ipod touch and use that for voip calls.

yep...the ipod touch can be hacked into some goodness :) i recently got the iPhone and read alot about their hackability!
Solty

Postby Anakha » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:46 pm

Omnia user here. Need more ram!
Anakha
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby AciDBatH666 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:16 pm

I use the living HELL out of my Iphone. I got it after I got laid off from my last job, and was waiting to start my new job with another company... I knew they only allowed their high level engineers to have internet access, so I got the Iphone so I could access all my stuff while I was there. It turned into so much more when I started using all sorts of aps for all sorts of things.
I use it for paypal transactions, to most all of my dye/vinyl images to my Myspace album... Great for finding anything when you're out of town and need directions.. Or want to know what to look for.
I can look up an address or the name of a place and go to the Google Maps ap and look around in the street view first person.
It's saved me several times. The 3g is really quick with it and I never really worry about the internet connection being horribly slow.

I also stream Pandora from it at my desk at work all day while I'm there. I have an adapter in my car to plug my phone into the Aux jack and stream Pandora there too for free radio. It's one of the best gadgets I've ever bought. And the plan, to me, is worth it. The plan costs a bit, but to me it's nearly invaluable. Last month's bill I downloaded over 4 gigs of data. Lol.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby domromer » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:26 pm

Yeah streaming Pandora is killer!
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby Solty » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:32 pm

im new the iPhone...but already have found lotsa uses.....

best one so far...after jailbreaking.... WIFI tethering....

my iphone is a wifi hotspot....so i can use it for my net access for my laptop at the fields while TDing a tournament...or for my wife to surf the web while driving on vacation....which we'll test next week :)

pandora is nice....but i went the slacker route...

i did use pandora on my BB which was stellar....
Solty

Postby BLURR » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:50 am

I've got the Storm...and it is a POS some days and decent some days. I have noticed that the GUI shouldn't be messed with. I installed a custom theme on it and it drained the battery. Also...battery life if you have GPS enabled...might be 3 hours. Horrible battery life. Tethering works just fine on it...and internet access is ok...unless you are trying to access the PDGA's website.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Dogma » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:21 am

I have an iPod Touch. I would have an iPhone, there's no coverage where I live. I can't say enough good things about the Touch. I carry manuals and documents for work, password lists, wi-fi sniffer, web browser and email, games to entertain the kids, sharing gmail calendars with my job and wife, to do list that doubles as a semi-workorder system and integrates with Toodledo online, and the list goes on. The funny thing is I have no music on it. I've been so happy to use it to tie all the other parts of my life together that I haven't bothered yet. I was a skeptic till I got one. Now I would be VERY unhappy to be without it. And it's true that there is an app for just about anything. If you find yourself thinking "I wonder if there's one that..." just search for it and probably exists. My expectations for it are now so high that I'm pissed if there ISN'T an app for something. You mean there isn't an app that will wash my dishes? Why the hell not? :D
Dogma
2009 DGR Donator

Postby uNicedmeMan » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:39 am

A guy at work just got the myTouch (google phone thing) yesterday. Doesn't come out for a few days, it looked pretty nice.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby Solty » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:43 am

...if someone needs a google voice invite for their itouch.....i may be able to help out
Solty

Postby Anakha » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:39 pm

http://link.brightcove.com/services/pla ... 9144897001

Yeah, Ill take one.

Needs to be updated with the other new tech by the time it comes to the U.S. though.
Anakha
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Seneca_22 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:12 am

I have a Blackberry Pearl from Alltel and I've had it for almost a year now. Why can't I send or recieve picture/video messages anymore. My cheap flip phone I had before could do it. You would think this thing can do it, do I have to set it up or what?

Also, the iPhone 8GB dropped to $100 not too long ago. Can you go to a retailer and just buy one to use for the iPod and Wi-Fi features? Or have those just been phased out?
Seneca_22
Tree Magnet

Postby dgdave » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:17 am

Have you upgraded your OS on your pearl? I can't rememer, but the Alltel Pearls may have MMS locked down. You can always email.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby Anakha » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:28 am

Seneca_22 wrote:I have a Blackberry Pearl from Alltel and I've had it for almost a year now. Why can't I send or recieve picture/video messages anymore. My cheap flip phone I had before could do it. You would think this thing can do it, do I have to set it up or what?

My Sister had the same problem with sms and mms with her Pearl from T-mobile. It is a setting you need to change, I'll find out and post later.
Anakha
Fairway Surgeon

Next

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.