2009 Worlds at Kansas City

A place to post or request tournament information.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: 2009 Worlds at Kansas City

Postby willsfc » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:55 am

pg043 wrote:I agree that the lack of video coverage is disappointing

they should of brought me in :P
-will
visit www.stickitdg.com
willsfc
Noob

Postby Timko » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:22 am

Chuck, it looks like that final 9 had plenty of scoring variance.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:25 am

I understand that live video coverage is out of the question, but I don't get why there aren't even any clips up on youtube yet. Even if the PDGA isn't on top of it, I would think that at least one of the 1000 spectators watching the final 9 would have brought a video camera and put something on the internet. Any idea how long it will take for the DVD to be produced?

I shot both photos which did get uplaoded and video which not only takes time to edit so it's not lame, but needs the highest speed bandwidth to upload which wasn't available. Frankly, video is not that exciting unless it's available right away and is edited with commentary so people know who, what, when. How many made 40 ft putts of the top players or anyone do you want to see? I've got a bunch. Usually, the majority of cool shots beyond long putts are thrown by players not being covered by video. Hopefully, some of the people shooting those throws might upload them. Other than posting random clips, the PDGA and Media Active are the only ones who have the rights to show completely edited video stories versus say a Final 9 produced by others which would need permission.

The Worlds DVD is usually available by Nov 1st for Xmas sales.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:38 am

Chuck, it looks like that final 9 had plenty of scoring variance.

The question is whether you want to see four wide open deuce or die holes in a row 250-280 ft help determine the World champion regardless of scoring spread? The scoring spread came from missing putts under pressure, not lack of execution on challenging tee shots or fairway throws. Do you suppose there would be four short par 3 holes in a row for the ball golf US Open on the final back nine? It's not like they were challenged for space at Blue Valley where longer holes couldn't have been designed or crossing fairways avoided.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Timko » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:02 am

No, I don't disagree with you one bit. I was disappointed to see holes of that caliber deciding the world championship in fact. But I knew that the pressure of the monent for 4 folks who have yet to win one of the big majors (Worlds, USDGC) would come into play, which was evident when Avery missed 3 putts on those shorter holes to tie Anton.
Timko

Postby willsfc » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:12 am

You don't always have to have commentary to make it good.. I uploaded this video of the 2008 USWDGC during the afternoon round (i edited during lunch) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuaGgEQFOKY (Youtube removed the audio though :\ )

Then ya have the final putt, which i had up when i got home (I'm an hour from Huntsville) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4wRTaXGJgg

I've also done some pretty good final coverage from memphis... http://cbp.blip.tv/

I've also done BG Am Highlights which you can see on the same page

Anyone wanna hire me? :P
-will
visit www.stickitdg.com
willsfc
Noob

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:45 am

You don't always have to have commentary to make it good.. I uploaded this video of the 2008 USWDGC during the afternoon round (i edited during lunch) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuaGgEQFOKY (Youtube removed the audio though :\ ) Then ya have the final putt, which i had up when i got home (I'm an hour from Huntsville) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4wRTaXGJgg

Who are those players? What's the score when they were shooting? What division were they in? What course are they playing? What round was it? Without that context info using terxt overlays if audio not possible/approved, you could compile clips of those players from anywhere without anyone knowing.

I've also done some pretty good final coverage from memphis... http://cbp.blip.tv/

What was the format? (skins?) What holes and how long were they? What were the routes and hole designs?
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Timko » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:21 am

Chuck Kennedy wrote:
You don't always have to have commentary to make it good.. I uploaded this video of the 2008 USWDGC during the afternoon round (i edited during lunch) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuaGgEQFOKY (Youtube removed the audio though :\ ) Then ya have the final putt, which i had up when i got home (I'm an hour from Huntsville) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4wRTaXGJgg

Who are those players? What's the score when they were shooting? What division were they in? What course are they playing? What round was it? Without that context info using terxt overlays if audio not possible/approved, you could compile clips of those players from anywhere without anyone knowing.

What was the format? (skins?) What holes and how long were they? What were the routes and hole designs?

I hope all that stuff is including the the Worlds video.
Timko

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:28 am

I hope all that stuff is included in the Worlds video.

I agree. Here's a quick effort I did after the Majestic that shows the key shots and what was happening. I was testing my new camera which was used for Worlds and it wasn't intended to be a full blown production. But I think the basics were there for people to follow. http://picasaweb.google.com/cgkdisc/MyV ... 2340776482 Click on View HQ video in the upper right if you can handle a higher res feed.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Timko » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:30 am

Not too bad Chuck. There will be final 9 video up soon from one of our local guys for those who have been wanting to see some live action.
Timko

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:39 am

Not too bad Chuck. There will be final 9 video up soon from one of our local guys for those who have been wanting to see some live action.

Better get it cleared from the PDGA HQ. The Final 9 coverage is the bread and butter of the Worlds DVD.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby black udder » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:40 am

Boy... I know everybody has their days and, sometimes, you just don't play up to your skill level, but one of our local guys went out to Worlds and scored Even. He lost by only -64 strokes! Holy COW. Sure does say something about the calibur of players beyond our little ponds.

As for video, I think the folks that play want to see similar coverage like other sports and it's just not there yet. I had a tournament this weekend and the other 3 guys were keeping tabs on Worlds during breaks. They all watch ball golf and I'm sure it'll be exciting if/when we can reach that day when USDGC, Worlds, etc. can be shown and commented live on TV. The more technology comes down in price (i.e. digital cameras with better resolution and features) the easier it will be to put quality cameras on the course and film the events.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Timko » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:45 am

Chuck Kennedy wrote:

Better get it cleared from the PDGA HQ. The Final 9 coverage is the bread and butter of the Worlds DVD.

They have exclusive rights to it, or he should do it as a courtesy?

He's not selling it, for the record. Just amateur stuff with a nice HD camera.
Timko

Postby scoot_er » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:55 am

Chuck Kennedy wrote:

At least it wasn't just wide open bombs like it usually is. Nothing worse than safari holes at the end of worlds where everyone takes a 4.
scoot_er
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:05 am

They have exclusive rights to it, or he should do it as a courtesy?

Yes and yes. It's one thing to put up some clips. It's another to do a fully edited video story. I haven't asked nor heard whether the clip of Avery's final putt was removed because someone asked. It could easily have been a rep for Avery that asked it be removed, not the PDGA or Media Active (Worlds DVD producer), since there's also a Jenkins video being prepared for eventual sale.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Tournaments